So apple is worth more than microsoft and google combined.....

ninjageek

To be honest not surprised. Microsoft spent way to much time working on the desktop. While they were doing that, Steve concentrated on turning the p c mobile. With I tunes, I phones, I pads. Now people are not forced to sit at a desk to stay connected.

Gotta wonder how Microsoft is taking this news.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/apple-worth-more-than-google-microsoft-combined/2012/02/10/gIQAYb7I4Q_story.html

Personally can't stand Apple anything. Especially the things you have to pay to down load songs to. That was the final blow for me. Apple is not used in this house. Too damned expensive. In reality it reminds me of the media and the way they praise Obama. Not all that great but they say they are great anyway. IMO of course. :read:

PS .... I love my desktop. :thumbsup:

Edited by tommie gorman

While not a fan, its cool we have a choice. Just gotta give Apple and there people respect. Coming up with new products that really do make a difference. The best example being Ipads used in school for teaching. Kids have access to more current information. We can thank Apple for bringing the tablet, the smart phone, to the next level.

You dont have to buy Apple to enjoy the products. You can buy Kindle Fires and several other products. I also think Steve taught many people to think outside the box. Microsoft owns the desktop, he just took it to the next level. Also think the apple store is brilliant. You can not only try the product, you can pay a small fee and have someone teach you how to use it.

Steve was no saint. Tough to work for, probably pushed to hard. The impact he had on society will last for generations.

Glad to hear this news, I'm sure that Mr.Jobs ( everyone calls him Steve like they know him , yea , so do I lol ) aar , I'm sure Steve knew well what the procedure might be after his untimely death.

And I entirely agree ninja , he taught the rest of us how o think forward. Yes i can't stand that saying ( forward thinking ) , but in this case it really applies. Just as you say , look at all the copies that the world enjoys , simply because of one man with a team of dedicated people around him to peel away the reality rom his futuristic thoughts and idea's. Good for APPL

As far as my appl comment , if you need productivity , reliance , and overall want to stay in the know , or the peoples movement that pushes forward on free software and it's usability , apple is the only way to go, it's just that way. Interconnectivity is so much more fluent using a system thats built around the worlds most widely used developmental systems.

I'm might be the furthest away from having a disposable income as I have been in more than 20 years , at the same token, it would be utterly impossible for me if needed , to get anything other than an apple machine again. Anything less is not in the question at this point.

IMHO what is really nice is the ability to buy what you need. You may need this or that feature, but no so much the other. Do i need a Iphone? No way. I pay 30 bucks a month and paid 40 for the phone. Its all I want or need. Do I need a I Pad. Nope. My nook touch is all I need, Just want to read. I simply have no desire to stay connected to people or the Internet when I am taking a bath.

While I am not sure. Jobs just kinda seems like the kinda guy that has no desire for the Sir or the Mr title. I know I am that way. From a few interviews will Say Steve had a funny sense of humor. While doing a interview that included bill gates, He made the joke that Him and bill have been secretly married for years. Bill did not find it funny, everyone else did.

You just gotta wonder what Jobs told the company the direction he thought they should go in. Or did he simply say nothing and let them choose the direction.

Think one of my fav quotes from Steve was, Give your Idea a Shot, we all have to die, so really what do you have to loose?

IMHO, Apple really benefited from "gadget envy". I can even see kids teasing each other. You got a android cause your parents are to poor to afford a Ipad. Man I am glad I grew up in the age of 3 channel T.V.s and when living in the country, they way they got us home was ringing a bell. We did not have to update our facebook, you went outside and asked your friends what they were up to.

Edited by ninjageek

You just gotta wonder what Jobs told the company the direction he thought they should go in. Or did he simply say nothing and let them choose the direction.

Think one of my fav quotes from Steve was, Give your Idea a Shot, we all have to die, so really what do you have to loose?

IMHO, Apple really benefited from "gadget envy". I can even see kids teasing each other. You got a android cause your parents are to poor to afford a Ipad. Man I am glad I grew up in the age of 3 channel T.V.s and when living in the country, they way they got us home was ringing a bell. We did not have to update our facebook, you went outside and asked your friends what they were up to.

Great thought , what did or did not say to apple before he left.

And yes I too am in a way glad I was able to experience more reality, if not some of the last generations to know what life is without being tied to social media as if it's some sort of device that we all must do. Funny though , todays version of what your buds are doing is what the world is doing, which is looking to see what everyone else is doing.

The stock market value isn't the same thing as a company's worth though, it's what speculators think it's worth.

There you go again , being all reasonable. You must have went outside to see what your friends were up to as well.

Personally can't stand Apple anything. Especially the things you have to pay to down load songs to. That was the final blow for me. Apple is not used in this house. Too damned expensive. In reality it reminds me of the media and the way they praise Obama. Not all that great but they say they are great anyway. IMO of course. :read:

I used to be the same way... then I got my Mac mini and it was over from there. The operating system and hardware they use are supieror in every way. This website is a testimant to the extra productivity that my Mac's have afforded me. They just run... correctly. Not that my PC's didn't in the past... but since I've been using OSX I'm speding far less time dealing with BS and far more time building... My Windows PCs took ALLOT of customizing to get them to work the way I liked. OSX does that out of the box.

Dude, get an Apple computer then I dare you to switch back... you won't and neither does anyone else. That's why it doesn't suprise me how big their pockets are these days. And just because you have an Apple computer doesn't mean you have to use iTunes or buy mp3's from them. Get them how you are now, just listen to them on a better machine. :wink: ---- BUT, if you want added conveince, the store is there. Don't hate them because they're smart, that's a reason to join them.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, I don't really care what anyone else uses. I just know that it finally feels like the computer listens to me all the time... less time thinking about the computer and more time thinking about work. That's the beauty, especially since I got the 27" iMac I never think about it because it always does what it's supposed to.

I still have the Mac mini, upgraded now to a 256MB SSD that's too fast for the controler and 8GB of 1333 DDR3. It blows away 99% of computers that I touch. Even a brand new iMac isn't as fast unless you upgrade it... so obviously I had to upgrade my iMac out of the box.

I bet you could get a used mini for < $200 (private party) -- Apple is expensive (you get what you pay for) but they do have options to get you in for cheaper. I got my mini off Apple's referb program - I actually think you get a better computer that way sometimes. Often those have had flaws resolved, sometimes the cutomer that had it before didn't even open it (like it was a present and they wanted the better model)... Apple still sells them at a discount even if that's the case. Mine was a referb and it's only been powered down like 3 times in like 3 years... for upgrades or moving. The iMac... I couldn't wait for shipping so I got that out of the Apple store but after the first referb purchase I made with them...... I would have totally been comfortable doing that again.

In summation...

OSX = Programmers Best Friend

I always believed if your young, really into learning computers you should own two of them, A apple, and a Linux dual booted with Windows. I truly wish I had done it long ago when I was younger. Now that I am older, windows is just fine for me. I just game and surf. When Xp was Big, I spent Lots of time helping others fix there computer. I really don't miss doing that. Now I simply tell others, get windows 7.

Apple is such a cool product. Think the price and complexity always made me a bit gun shy. I regret not doing it when I should of. I always wondered why steve did not release a Mac that could compete with windows. Now that I know what I know, Desktop computers were not steve's passion. Taking computing to the next level was.

• 2 weeks later...

apple rules

Or not.

amen

• 1 month later...

The thing with Apple is that they've got a lockdown on their entire supply chain from software to hardware and everything in between. They wield ultimate control over the entire user experience.

Seen Windows 8 yet? now thats taking control over everything.

There all the same in that aspect, not only application being developed specifically for the platform , at the same time , industries protecting there assets.

A great time to jump back in the physical world for a peek might be in 100 years from now , imagine the advances that will be available. Not forgetting about the divisions coming together as were already seeing.