Faster in Linux?

karniv0re

I've got cable with Cox, and I've noticed lately that my download speeds have been atrocious, so I came to TestMy.net, and sure enough

Download Stats

Connection is 279 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 1013 KB)

Download Speed is 34 KB/sec

Auth Code 2004186 (validate at http//www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line 5 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 30.12 second(s)

Validation Link http//testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?ta=&top=&align=&num=2004186&kbps=279&gen=gen&a=17.1428571428571&b=1.71428571428571&c=1145.14285714286

I first became suspicious when pages like Yahoo were taking around 45 seconds to load. Hmm, suspicious indeed. So, as I was about to write Cox some hate mail, I booted into Red Hat Linux for some reason. Probably because I was tired of XP continuously locking up on me when I tried to open more than 4 IE windows at a time.

When I loaded up the Net in Linux, I noticed it seemed to be a little faster. Ok, I thought. TestMy.net, go! *Sonic Boom sound* Connection is 3.5 Mbps! Holy Hell!

Slowly getting to the question, is this a Windows problem, or a Cox problem? And more importantly, is it intentional? Well, nevertheless, I guess this seals the deal Windows is gone, Linux is on!

Brian.

First of all welcome to the Forum...

Windows is the problem.... XP is one of the most stable os out there... The only thing that would produce this kind of situtation would be if you browser was hijacked, if you open your browser and it took you to some page you didnt want to go to, or you had tons of spyware running. My guess would be a little of both. Also hearing that you windows could only launch 4 ie browsers before crashing means that you memory was being eaten up by something...

If I were you I would reinstall Windows XP fresh, get rid of everything(CEAR THE HARD DRIVE), then install a good anti virus and a really good adware/spyware remover. Did you ever check your computer for spyware? Did you ever use a different browser other than IE? That is my suggestion.. Hell if you like Linux that is great... It is free but a pain in the ass to do somethings that are really simple to do on a windows machine.

5/1/04

Ok I found the way to remove Java VM http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/38206/38206.html I would recommend everyone to do this... Java VM is no longer used... Java Script is now the standard and more sucure than VM.. VM is how you browser gets hijacked almost 90% of the time.

:) huh,

My machine runs much slower with linux.......also I removed java vm a long time ago and went with sun but same thing it slowed me down so I went back to vm I found that the last upgrade of vm which is 3810 I think loaded on the first one which is vm 3805 makes it more secure and faster ....for me anyway,, I guess all things should be tried and go with the setup that works best with your connection and you computers software....one thing is certain as swimmer said those bottom feeding scumbag asswipes that hijack your puter really sux... some hijacker had me the first of the year and it was a b@$%h to get it all off.....Im not bitter of course...lol

8) Microwave

That is interesting that your computer ran slower in Linux than it did on windows.. Most of the time computer tend to run as fast if not faster in linux. If your connection suffered it could be because you had an onboard ethernet card that wasnt supported you by disto or you were using generic drivers because you pci card wasnt supported...

That is interesting that your computer ran slower in Linux than it did on windows.. Most of the time computer tend to run as fast if not faster in linux. If your connection suffered it could be because you had an onboard ethernet card that wasnt supported you by disto or you were using generic drivers because you pci card wasnt supported...

Hey swimmer I didnt consider what you are saying..... makes perfect sense maybe I will try again the right way LOL anyway thanks for the tips:):)

:) Microwave

Linux is a beast when it comes to the details.... It is far less forgiving than windows... If you check the manufacturer's website they will tell you if the version that you are going to use supports all of your hardware... I know that some of the Nvidia based boards have problems...