Why do I download slower?

Joel Kopa

Just upgraded Broadband and changed ISP so we also have a new router.

Upgraded from ADSL to ADSL2+ but since upgrading I have been downloading files at half the speed of the previous, so its taking longer.

Now I know that the connection has improved as I performed speed checks regularly before and since the change and my line speed has gone from 7Mbs to 12Mbs but when downloading an actual file, say a video or music, whatever it may be regardless, it is taking me longer, twice as long now with the upgrade then it did with the old connection I was using that was near half the line speed. I have even tried downloading things that I had downloaded with the old connection that I know downloaded at 800KBs and now downloads at 400KBs. I also know that I live close to the exchange of the new ISP, less than a kilometre, so I am sure that is not an issue.

Any help would be great as I am unsure why this is happening and I have been trying to figure it out for a while with no avail.

Thanks.