Dual LAN & wifi A/B/G/N

dlf

I will sometime in the next few months (I hope) to get a computer - that will have this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128549&Tpk=N82E16813128549

The interesting thing of the board is that it has dual LAN ports (Dual 10/100/1000Mbps) along with: WiFi IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n. We at the moment have a ISP router - AT&T that only supports B/G, while the wifi of my next computer will support N. I REALLY doubt it but could I get my own small private (?) router that does support Wireless N that I myself could use for the few devices that could really (I'd think) use the speed?

note to mods: The first topic I posted, ignore

you could get your own wireless N router there are some relatively inexpensive one's out there

you probably wouldn't notice an increase in speed since wireless G supports up to 54Mbps even if you take off the 15-20% overhead you lose from it being wireless your still well above what you need for the connection you currently have

the only place you'd notice an increase in speed is on local file transfer's from one computer to another in your house

What of using ethernet cable (cat6?). Here's a irony (to me) this current computer gets about 350 KB/s through wifi. Yet a laptop I have that does support up to 1000mbps can get up to a meg on our wifi. As for the personal router I'd just buy a router and set it up? I will be downloading a lot of digtal games (from steam) - upwards of or more than 250 GB - on the current speed I get that'd take about 2 weeks - I'd like it (if possible) to take less time than that - though I'd think that'd be impossible short of Texas getting decent speeds throughout the entire state.

What of using ethernet cable (cat6?). Here's a irony (to me) this current computer gets about 350 KB/s through wifi. Yet a laptop I have that does support up to 1000mbps can get up to a meg on our wifi. As for the personal router I'd just buy a router and set it up? I will be downloading a lot of digtal games (from steam) - upwards of or more than 250 GB - on the current speed I get that'd take about 2 weeks - I'd like it (if possible) to take less time than that - though I'd think that'd be impossible short of Texas getting decent speeds throughout the entire state.

Cat6 is intended for speeds upwards of 1Gbps

Cat5e is perfectly fine for home use theres no way you'd be able to utilize Cat6 with the connection you currently have

infact you'd need an enterprise level connection such as the one hosting this testing site to even need Cat6 there are only a few places in the world that offer residential Gigabit connections

as far as different results with different computers that could be caused by a lot of things which we can discuss

your laptop probably has Gigabit LAN not a gigabit wifi connection it at most has a 450Mbps wireless N adapter but even still if your router is wireless G it will not connect at a rate higher then 54Mbps

~ Mark

350 KB/s is quick? On this connection it takes upwards of 6+ hours to download about 8 GB while on a 2MB+ connection it takes less than an hour and half. Assuming I have I have issues with steam (which I most likely will) I don't want to wait 6+ hours to redownload a game to see if something was fixed or not.

But than Texas will be stuck in the stone age (56K+ speeds) for decades [/opinion]