New Macbook Pro - What do you think?

dlewis23

So what do you guys think about this new Macbook Pro with the Retina display? This thing is pretty insane, the display really makes it at a resolution of 2880x1800 that means over 5 million pixels on a 15in notebook display. So if your editing video your preview window can show the entire 1080p clip.

Some Specs:

15.4in Retina Display

2.3 GHz Core i7 Ivy-Bridge

8 - 16GB ram

256 GB SSD - 768 GB SSD

Nvidia GT650m 1GB

Dual Thunderbolt

HDMI

Dual USB2/USB3

$2199

The laptop has so much power it can drive the laptop display at 2880x1800 and 2 external displays over thunderbolt at 2560x1600 at the same time. Hopefully it doesn't take 5 years for this display tech. to come down enough so everyone can get it since Windows 8 is retina ready it should help.

post-6771-0-82334400-1339596456_thumb.jp

post-6771-0-04050300-1339596459_thumb.jp

post-6771-0-98987500-1339596461_thumb.jp

It's not especially hard to drive two or even three displays of that size, but it's still a very welcome upgrade to the laptop screen market. If only this was done 5 years ago, imagine how much further monitor specs would be compared to current day screens.

It's not especially hard to drive two or even three displays of that size, but it's still a very welcome upgrade to the laptop screen market. If only this was done 5 years ago, imagine how much further monitor specs would be compared to current day screens.

On a desktop its been easy but on a notebook, typically you only get one video out (Sometimes two VGA + HDMI) but then a lot of the times the notebook display sucked as far as resolution goes.

I do completely agree this should have happened years ago now we gotta wait. Maybe once Intel finally figures out how to make a intergraded GPU that is somewhat close to a dedicated card of the day it will happen.

That's even sexier on the inside. Must suck to be a person that just got the old macbook pro minus Retina. Because that's a HUGE visual upgrade. I'd be in line right now trying to do an exchange if I was that guy... The difference between those displays is like going from a 12" monochrome CRT to a 21+" LCD, night and day. .... finally, pixels are becoming a thing of the past.

The laptop has so much power it can drive the laptop display at 2880x1800 and 2 external displays over thunderbolt at 2560x1600 at the same time.

By the way... my 27" iMac can only do 2560x1440 - amazing to think of all my pixels plus 1.5 million pixels crammed into 15.4"... just crazy. (I did the math, 41% more pixels than a 27" iMac, seriously) -- I'll be getting a new iMac when they get a 27" or larger Retina iMac, now that will be INSANE resolution.

By the way... my 27" iMac can only do 2560x1440 - amazing to think of all my pixels plus 1.5 million pixels crammed into 15.4"... just crazy. (I did the math, 41% more pixels than a 27" iMac, seriously) -- I'll be getting a new iMac when they get a 27" or larger Retina iMac, now that will be INSANE resolution.

I can't wait for a 27" iMac with a retina display. If they keep the math the same as they have it will have a res of 5120x2880 thats 14.7 million pixels. Sadly tho I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I may end up with this new Macbook Pro.

I can't wait for a 27" iMac with a retina display. If they keep the math the same as they have it will have a res of 5120x2880 thats 14.7 million pixels. Sadly tho I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I may end up with this new Macbook Pro.

I kinda hope it's a little bit of a wait.. I'm still perfectly happy with what I have. I can't imagine an extra 10 million pixels... ridiculous.