Want to test speeds at various locations for various users in UK

gideonbot

Hi,

I am responsible for finding a mobile solution at work and need to test connectivity in a measurable way at various locations. We work primarily in East London and Essex and will be using iPads. I was wondering if you could sense check my approach:

1. Download a mobile app onto an iPad to test connectivity (Speedtest.net as example)

2. Send the iPad with each team on a “typical day” and ask them to take random tests throughout the day on the device.

3. Analyse this information to check our connectivity at different locations

Questions

What will be the best app to use given that I need to test multiple teams and also know the physical location of their result?

Any other suggestions?

Anyone out there that had done similar thing?

Kind regards

Gideon

Hi,

I am responsible for finding a mobile solution at work and need to test connectivity in a measurable way at various locations. We work primarily in East London and Essex and will be using iPads. I was wondering if you could sense check my approach:

1. Download a mobile app onto an iPad to test connectivity (Speedtest.net as example)

2. Send the iPad with each team on a “typical day” and ask them to take random tests throughout the day on the device.

3. Analyse this information to check our connectivity at different locations

Questions

What will be the best app to use given that I need to test multiple teams and also know the physical location of their result?

Any other suggestions?

Anyone out there that had done similar thing?

Kind regards

Gideon

Hi Gideon,

You can do that all through TestMy.net... two ways, either create multiple usernames to suit your needs then login each device... or make one account then give each computer a different identifier (recommended) and start testing. Your results are saved to a database and you can compare from there.

post-2-0-65921400-1340048256.png

Currently you can't rename the 'rooms' -- but as long as you keep track of which iPad goes with which ID it should suit your needs just fine. In the future I plan on giving you the ability to rename those tags.

Thanks for the reply,

I ran a test but it does not show me the exact, physical location. The problem I have is that the teams that are using it tells us they are having connectivity problems at site A or site B. I need to be able to plot results onto a map to show where our cold spots are. We can then take a view on whether or not to install Wi-Fi in these locations.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply,

I ran a test but it does not show me the exact, physical location. The problem I have is that the teams that are using it tells us they are having connectivity problems at site A or site B. I need to be able to plot results onto a map to show where our cold spots are. We can then take a view on whether or not to install Wi-Fi in these locations.

Any suggestions?

I'm planning on GPS functions in the future but it may be a while. One thing you could do it use an app that allows you to record GPS cords... have them open that, log their coordinates and time... take a test and compare the GPS list with the test times.

I am working on all this stuff... it just sucks that I only have ten fingers to do it all. Still trying to learn how to program with my toes. :-P --- man, if you guys could see what my actual vision is for this website. Some of my ideas aren't even technically possible yet... but when they are I'll try my hardest to translate what I have in head into reality for you all. ... just keep checking back on my progress, it will never be finished.

-D

• 3 months later...

Was the identifier feature removed? I don't see it in download, upload, or auto.

Hey SirLauncelot, actually if you were set to test on anything but the default server then that option was being removed. I've turned it back on. Right now it's only logging one or the other, I'll have it to were it logs both the extraID and the test server soon... for now if you select the extraID you won't be able to also see that you tested from the DC server (or west.. but I see that you were using DC).

thanks ;)