voIP on DW6000

FullTimer

voIP on a DSL connection (according to Vonage) needs 90kbps continuously both up and down.  Their internet site offers a "bandwidth saver" feature that allow that number to be reduced to 60 or 30 kbps and they said some people did not notice any important difference.  So I tried it at 30 kbps.  Result:  when we did tests mornings of March 6 & 7, the voice received over DW6000 connection was generally very good and the voice transmitted was also pretty good but had small amount of breakup and failure to pickup part of first word spoken.  I made calls to other people during the course of the day and as long as turned off my PC load on the transmitter, the person I called could hear me fine (note: I always hear them fine - that is the receive side) .  However, we found timing is everything with the DW6000 connection.  When we made a call about 5 PM Mountain Time (Arizona) the call recipient could not understand us at all.  The UP speed was about 11-12 kbps.  Clearly not enough even for the lowest voIP setting on Vonage's bandwidth saver.  So I'm guessing that voIP might make a good daytime phone system - or whenever UP link speeds are not severely degraded. ;)

Well FullTimer ....there are lots of variables here...first of all the 6000 is a bit slower then a 4000....your download speed will normally be in the hundreds..so that won't be an issue....then depending on the type of account. you have ...your upload will usually be the issue.

A normal customer account if you check the stats here is only averaging 42kbps......that's the overall average. A commercial account will do better but not great. The slowest times as a whole are 3:00-11:00 PM EST and Mondays seem to be the worst....not sure why. Weekends are generally pretty decent. So generally speaking...it should work for you 1) early in the morning  2) late at night  3) when the weather is good both at your house...and the NOC.....wish I could help more ...but that about sums it up....if there's anything else we can do ...just ask. :D

Thanks Aggr3, Really, your insights seem right on.

My problem is I just signed up with DWay on March 3, and now just setup voIP on it - so  no real experience with either system.  I just didn't realize - and almost couldn't believe - how absolutely terrible the upload speed is on the DW6000 much of the time.  I hit the road for a 6-month RV trip before long, so I wanted to get all my portable units ready to roll  beforehand.  I don't know if you or anyone else out there uses a portable DW6000 system.  This will be my first year on the road with it.  Obviously DWay is the only option for RVers who need reliable internet.  Some campgrounds have WiFi but you can't depend on it being there when you need it.  It's just too bad we can't get the Hughes European DW6040 unit in the USA.  I think it would solve the voIP problem.  At least that's what Hughes designed it to do.  :?

Hey welcome FullTimer ..I don't know anything about vonage but do have a 6000..what kind of UL and DL speed is required to operate it...???

Ok, I am the king of Vonage on DW6000, dont bother, simple as that, it will work fine receiving, transmitting it drops packets like you would not beleive.......

I still got my vonage adaptor if you want it, cost me $60 and never used! I got screwed, Vonage tells you it will work over satelitte, MY ASS!

:haha:Yea, thanks sparky.

I need your vonage unit like another hole in my head!  I just bought mine at Circuit City and plan to return it this weekend for refund and then cancel vonage service for my 14 day trial period refund.  They had the gaul to claim that satellite voIP performance was "generally good."  The truth is it's generally UNUSABLE except when normal people are asleep and aren't taking phone calls anyway.

Good deal, I cant send mine back, I sent in the damn UPC label for the $60 rebate, but I dont have service so I got screwed and no one will take it back when you send in a UPC!

And when you get to circuit city, let them know they are providing you with the wrong answers and politly tell them in which hole they can stick it :)

I still got my vonage adaptor if you want it, cost me $60 and never used! I got screwed, Vonage tells you it will work over satelitte, MY ASS!

thanks for the info...i kinda browsed the vonage website & it really doesn't appeal to me even if i had dsl or cable....

like i said i just skimmed over the site but the way i read it you have to rewire your home for it to work in all outlets...

no way would i try it with dway unless i could not receive cell signals & for some reason had no phone line

like the gentleman in the 1st post....out camping

thanks for the info...i kinda browsed the vonage website & it really doesn't appeal to me even if i had dsl or cable....

like i said i just skimmed over the site but the way i read it you have to rewire your home for it to work in all outlets...

no way would i try it with dway unless i could not receive cell signals & for some reason had no phone line

like the gentleman in the 1st post....out camping

No, you dont need to rewire the house, all you do is go outside and disconnect from the drop box, then plug the voange into your home phone network, but anyway, it wont work with dish so no worries there.

If I had Real BROADBAND not this junk DW6000 I would go for it, would save me $40 a month just by using vonage.

If I had Real BROADBAND not this junk DW6000 I would go for it, would save me $40 a month just by using vonage.

Sparky.....are saying that this isn't REAL!!!!      How dare you....I mean it's REAL slow.....It's REALLY a pain in the ass.....It's REALLY hard to understand tech support (if you can call them that)....AND.....It's REALLY irritating..... :evil6: 

So how much more REAL could you get.... :haha:

• 2 weeks later...