NY-TX routing speeds deteriorating to testmy.net

my tests from this web sight have gradually degraded in speed.

mar/apr 15/1.0, may/jun 10/1.0, jul/aug 07/0.5

to the point where now testmy.net is useless to me, so anyone

testing to this sight from the North East on TWC may want to

try other testing sights before calling in a problem with your ISP,

since these problems are routing issues they can't fix for you.

my local speeds and speeds to other markets test out fine,

it's testmy.net resources that are getting the shaft on TWC.

i've had my line double checked and my modem replaced,

and change my DHCP assigned public IP regularly, yet the

testmy.net continues to get ever slower results for me while

the rest of my performance to the web is fine.

I'm currently using; megapath's speedtest

because it allows me to test from NYC to various other markets.

MegaPath is a CLEC reseller so they have no incentive to lie.

I hope testmy.net figures out what the problem is because it's

results are causing more harm than good for many consumers.

if it is a routing issue its nothing testmy.net can fix nor is it a problem that testmy.net has it's the peers job to fix the issues whatever they may be infact it could be TWC that has the problem there is just no way to know... testmy.net does have multiple servers in multiple markets to test

Damon has a server on each coast aswell as one centrally located so you should be able to test from at least one

post-3263-0-28721700-1344376479_thumb.jp

try one of those and let us know

~ Mark

Actually testmy.net is telling you there is an issue somewhere along the testing route. Which is the very reason for it's being.

Running traceroutes can tell us where the lagging router is, checking peer availability , congestion and availability is another.

There was a time where this was not an issue , yet with the recent national routing changes, specific cross continental advertising and video streaming services, not to mention the latest knowledge of the Utah datacenter for national security , and it's special routing procedures , have caused a few peering issues that the ISP cannot and does not have any say in.

For instance , I can test to testmy.net dallas from silicon valley area ( Cupertino ) like it's within my ISP's internal network, but testing from NW Ohio , renders drastically different results. This is not a flaw, this is valuable information.

You can get information on the status of various peers if you so choose here , I use these tools regularly.

Have a look at the image below to understand main routing

Hurricane_Electric_Geographic_Network_Map.jpg

Actually testmy.net is telling you there is an issue somewhere along the testing route. Which is the very reason for it's being.

Running traceroutes can tell us where the lagging router is, checking peer availability , congestion and availability is another.

There was a time where this was not an issue , yet with the recent national routing changes, specific cross continental advertising and video streaming services, not to mention the latest knowledge of the Utah datacenter for national security , and it's special routing procedures , have caused a few peering issues that the ISP cannot and does not have any say in.

For instance , I can test to testmy.net dallas from silicon valley area ( Cupertino ) like it's within my ISP's internal network, but testing from NW Ohio , renders drastically different results. This is not a flaw, this is valuable information.

You can get information on the status of various peers if you so choose here , I use these tools regularly.

Have a look at the image below to understand main routing

boy that was a good read! you got me started on a google spree and i just couldn't stop.

4 hours after clicking your links i finally realized what time it was

thanks ~ Mark

• 3 weeks later...

thanks everyone for lending your experience resources and insights [geek]

changing to the East coast test address eventually got my results more

inline with reality of the 15/1 i'm get on flash tests, and service i pay for.

I say eventually because I suspect during the last few weeks of testing

TWC/RR added capacity to my area, so maybe my complaints helped.

keep up the good work providing a realistic speed testing alternative :icon_thumright: