Safari 6 'single address bar'- fix?

mudmanc4

Growing tired of the direction, why keep copying things ?

I don't use chrome too much for various reasons, now apple decides to copy the single address / search bar non- feature feature into safari 6.

Has anyone found a way to get around this ? Really I cannot stand it , and it searches google for local domains, which obviously causes 404 after 404.

Personally I love that feature... I would think that if it's and address that's able to be resolved, even locally, it wouldn't do that. Does Chrome do the same thing?

I'm driving from Myrtle Beach to Nashville right now but when I get settled I'll get that update and see if I can figure out how to switch it back to the old style. ;-)

The chrome reference was for the single address bar. And yes chrome does the same thing, ignores the local DNS and looks for some index link.

Where firefox does not and neither did safari 5.x

Aside that issue I really don't care for the single bar, why search google each time I head towards a known site. Iv'e lost the ability to decide what I'm looking for and in what way I want to search for it. Very intrusive intrusive coding.

But you can change what service it searches through... it's not like they force you to use Google or Yahoo.

... there's got to be a way to remove it. And if there is, I'll figure it out. It may be deeply hidden but I'd bet it can be hacked.

I've been using Chrome almost exclusively since it was released so I guess I'm just used to it now. It only searches Goolge when I purposely type a search term... although I don't serve and local domains on my network so I haven't dealt with your issue.

... personally, it saves me time. It always bugged me when I used Safari and I had to move my mouse slightly to the right... lol. But again, that's because I've been a heavy Chrome user for a long time and I've gotten used to the single box.

... to each his own I guess.

I don't see any option for separate search or direct access in preferences.

No I agree, I'm not being forced to use google , and I only use google and allow no other search engines. But thats not the point . The use[r] should be able to decide whether there searching or there connecting.

know what I mean vern lol

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't found a way to fix the address bar for you...

... I did however find a secret debugging menu.

Close Safari... open terminal and paste the following...

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1
[/CODE] Results in a new menu like this... post-2-0-27723900-1346432187_thumb.png Obviously to revert the changes use...
[CODE]
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 0

I'm sure that if we figure out the correct variable we can write the change to fix the address bar the same way. The question is... what the hell is the variable?!

So lame that you can't view source... unless I missed it somewhere. Geeze, at least put that in the debug menu! Apple is inconveniencing a lot of programmers with this move.

See...

post-2-0-81441500-1346432424.png

post-2-0-62343600-1346432426_thumb.png

Very cool set of tools, thanks!

And please, tick the develop menu in 'Advanced > look down at the bottom

post-9745-0-73457400-1346434222_thumb.pn

Re: separate address and search bar in safari 6

Aug 1, 2012 9:44 PM (in response to BingChow)

Great news! But first the bad news. Hang in there, I've saved the best for last. I just spent half an hour on the phone with very friendly Apple support techs. They had a pow-wow with the whole floor and came up with a definitive answer that I have found nowhere else on the web:

YOU CANNOT HAVE SEPARATE ADDRESS AND SEARCH BOXES / BARS cry.gif

Yes it is very sad, but there's a glimmer of hope! Read on...

YOU BASICALLY CAN'T (AND SHOULDN'T) GO BACK TO AN OLD VERSION sad.gif

YOU CAN CHOOSE ONE OF THREE DEFAULT BROWSERS plain.gif

redsneekers (above) mentioned that you can change the default browser by clicking the magnifying glass in the address bar. Here's another way to do the same thing:

1. Safari --> Preferences (or command comma)

2. under the General tab

3. set "Default search engine" to either Google, Yahoo! or Bing

Apple confirms that it is impossble to customize any further, as you can with Opera for example.

YOU CAN REMOVE THE GOOGLE SUGGESTIONS WHEN YOU TYPE AN ADDRESS happy.gif

The dropdown box gives you the top six Google results as you type. It's reminiscent of the old search box, but it puts more real estate between your cursor and your bookmarks. Disable it like this:

1. Safari --> Preferences (or command comma)

2. click the Privacy tab

3. at the bottom, check "Prevent search engine from providing suggestions"

Now, try typing "app" in the address bar. You will get a dropdown with four sections. You can't change their order, but now you've at least trimmed it down a bit. Check it out:

Screen+Shot+2012-08-01+at+11.56.50+PM.png

Notice that there is only one line under "Google Search" instead of six! Tip: if the down arrow is too slow, you can also use [command + down arrow] to skip through the 4 sections above.

And now...

THE BEST NEWS!!! YOU CAN GET THE OLD ADDRESS BAR FUNCTIONALITY cool.gif

See where it says "Go to Site "app""? Yes, all the way at the bottom? Click here or go down using your arrow, and you will have the exact same functionality you had on your older-version Safari address bar.

Example, I want to go to http://www.chevrolet.com but I've never been there before, so it's not in my history or bookmarks. I don't know if it's chevy or chevrolet, but I'm positive the site exists and I expect my browser to take me there. I type "chevy" in the address bar. If I hit [enter] on the new Safari 6.0, it will take me to a page with Google search results. But if I look at the drop down list that appears and choose "Go to site "chevy"", it will do what the old Safari used to do with less effort. Voila! It was chevrolet.com but I'm there in one click without ever visiting Google.

Screen+Shot+2012-08-01+at+11.52.35+PM.png

ISN'T THERE ANOTHER BROWSER I CAN USE?

I have failed to find any browser with legitimate address and search boxes. Prove me wrong please! Opera has two boxes, but don't be fooled. If you type "apple" into the address bar with no .com after it, Opera will direct you to a search page just like Safari does. The good part is that you can customize your search engine to anything you want. One person (wfaulk) showed how to obtain old-Safari functionality here http://tinyurl.com/d4stze7 Granted wfaulk was talking about Google Chrome, but the same trick worked for Opera. The downside with this fix is that while your new Opera address bar now acts like the old Safari one, the search bar no longer serves its purpose! That's because the two boxes are practically the same. So there's little advantage over the new Safari, besides a wider selection of search engines.

Hope this helps! Don't forget to visit http://www.apple.com/feedback/ and ask them to at least give us the ability to choose a search engine outside of the Big 3.

source

This is honestly a steaming pile of cow dung