Just to say Hi!

GraemeJ

Another new member just saying hello to all.

I've recently installed a satellite broadband link and have been experiencing problems with the speed. I ran across this forum while researching speed testing sites and there are people here who actually understand all this stuff., so joining in seemed like a good idea.

I'm supposed to seeing a 12MB download, but it's more like an average of 4MB. I appreciate that I'm never going to reach the advertised speed, but this seems much too low to me. The upload is none too clever, either. I'm in touch with the technical support guys and they seem to be trying to resolve the issue. We'll see how it goes.

Graeme

Still awaiting a response from the suppliers.

In the meantime, I've been trying to hunt down the problem for myself - not easy, because I really don't understanfd too much about this stuff.

All my traffic seems to be routed through Skylogic España S.A. I checked their figures (using data provided by this site) and their average figures are near enough spot-on to mine. The implication here is that there's nothing wrong with my installation and that they are the bottleneck. However, what this site doesn't tell me is how many different users contributed to the Skylogic figures. I might be the only person, thuse rendering the figures meaningless.

All I know is I'm paying for a 12/4 Mb system that is struggling to reach 4/1 and I'm not a happy bunny at this time.

Graeme

Still awaiting a response from the suppliers.

In the meantime, I've been trying to hunt down the problem for myself - not easy, because I really don't understanfd too much about this stuff.

All my traffic seems to be routed through Skylogic España S.A. I checked their figures (using data provided by this site) and their average figures are near enough spot-on to mine. The implication here is that there's nothing wrong with my installation and that they are the bottleneck. However, what this site doesn't tell me is how many different users contributed to the Skylogic figures. I might be the only person, thuse rendering the figures meaningless.

All I know is I'm paying for a 12/4 Mb system that is struggling to reach 4/1 and I'm not a happy bunny at this time.

Graeme

You're right, currently there's a very small sample size for your provider. Much of the average being calculated is your connection. Skylogic Espana History Skylogic Espana Averages -- but that database is only a few months old. If it's researched by the domain name (the old way stats were logged) you'll get a larger sample that's more useful. Skylogicnet.com History Skylogicnet.com Averages

For future reference for anyone who wants to know, a link to the old statistics is on the "more info" tab of the averages page for any given provider.

post-2-0-32202700-1345218765_thumb.png

post-2-0-28377200-1345218775.png

(see the link... this link appears on any stats page not queried by domain name so that you can research the old database. Additionally, if you query by domain name the system cross references the database for relevant providers being stored in the new way, by the providers name.)

It's still not a huge sample, but it's more information from more individual computers than the new Skylogic database is holding. The information is from May 2011 to September 2011 but should still be relevant today.

... this actually gives me an idea, maybe I should omit the users results from the provider averages. So that when you see an average it's being calculated based on everyone except your connection. Then, with smaller sample sizes like in this case you're not basically being shown your own average. I get back to building on Monday, I'll make sure to work that in... it will be a very simple addition that will make a difference in some cases.

hmmm... thanks for that information. With such a small sample, I don't think these stats are reliable enough for me to beat the supplier over the head. I need a bigger hammer :) .

True... even if you have a big hammer and are with one of the providers that I have tons of stats on, it's still hard to get them to listen. They always want to blame the website you're visiting... but dude, this isn't my first rodeo. Every provider is given the same opportunity to score well. Some are connected well and those customers can max their connections out over thousands of miles... then you have others who have bottlenecks along the route and will be in the same state as one of my servers and those customers are only able to pull 1/5th of their connection. ... and then they try to blame TMN for their own routing issues. We hear it every day. It gets really old but the fact is, at this point TMN has been around longer than some of these Internet providers. People have used this site and trusted the results for so long for a reason.

I hope you resolve your issues, satellite can be a headache. A large percentage of complaints we hear come from satellite users and many of them have to end up settling with what they're given. It's just sad that you're quoted one thing then delivered something totally different. ... it's like ordering a large pizza then it gets to your door and the driver ate all but two slices. Two slices will get you by but WTF, you ordered a large pizza! (sorry, I'm hungry and waiting for my pizza to heat up in the oven :evil6:)

I agree that I might be in for an uphill battle. My supplier keeps referring me to a speed test that's basically run by TooWay and it consistently reports speeds at around the mark that I'm paying for *. I keep pointing out that, whatever this test says, it simply does not represent anything like what I am actually seeing when sitting at my computer. It has nothing to do with individual websites or contention issues (see, I'm learning fast), this problem is across the board at any time of the day or night. Still they haven't stopped talking to me, so I suppose that's a good thing.

* So far, all I have paid for is the hardware - I did my own installation - so, if they can't improve and get somewhere closer to what they offered me, I'll just not pay them. I presume I can find another supplier, where I can use the same hardware, but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

PS: Just got back from a night out with some friends, visiting from the UK - so at least I'm not hungry :)

I agree that I might be in for an uphill battle. My supplier keeps referring me to a speed test that's basically run by TooWay and it consistently reports speeds at around the mark that I'm paying for *. I keep pointing out that, whatever this test says, it simply does not represent anything like what I am actually seeing when sitting at my computer. It has nothing to do with individual websites or contention issues (see, I'm learning fast), this problem is across the board at any time of the day or night. Still they haven't stopped talking to me, so I suppose that's a good thing.

* So far, all I have paid for is the hardware - I did my own installation - so, if they can't improve and get somewhere closer to what they offered me, I'll just not pay them. I presume I can find another supplier, where I can use the same hardware, but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

PS: Just got back from a night out with some friends, visiting from the UK - so at least I'm not hungry :)

thats a really good attitude to have... from my experience most ISP's are squirmy little creatures that try to blame anything or anyone else. just keep at it eventually they will put some real effort fourth

Just joined forum. I'm using a tmobile broadband stick and wondering how it matches up to other carriers and tmobile sonic hot spot.

Hi tomgaf,

welcome to testmy.net. Run a few tests , from each testing server, you will then see how your current connection matches up with others that have tested using tmobile sonic.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. :)