Speed testing higher than my sync rate?

bgeery

I'm having problems believing the the results I'm receiving from this site.

My DSL modem says the sync rate is 6208 kbps down and 768 kbps up, but the speed tests here are giving me results of saying my speed is 7024-7264 kbps down and 544-592 kbps up. How am I receiving such high download results?

I'm having problems believing the the results I'm receiving from this site.

My DSL modem says the sync rate is 6208 kbps down and 768 kbps up, but the speed tests here are giving me results of saying my speed is 7024-7264 kbps down and 544-592 kbps up. How am I receiving such high download results?

I don't know... what modem do you have?

My DSL modem is the Westell 6100G on Verizon. I signed up for the max 6Mb/768Kb plan, but I could have been secretly upgraded to the current 7.1Mb/768Kb plan they offer (Verizon has been know to make these unilateral changes) but sill wouldn't explain why the reported download sync rate is lower than the test rusults from this site. At first, I thought it might be due to compression on the DSL link, but the site says it generates random data, thus not compressible.

For years I had a poor connection with a very variable/unstable connection. I now have a rock solid connection that hasn't dropped in a week, after a tech came and installed a whole house DSL filter and dedicated line for the DSL modem.

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1 Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path INTERLEAVED Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 6208 768 Margin (dB) 7.1 11.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 51.5 31.5 Transmit Power (dBm) 19.6 11.9

and

Advanced WAN Statistics

Connection Rate (Down/Up): 6208 Kbps / 768 Kbps Connection Status In Packets

Out Packets 30840707

17011827 In Error Packets

Out Error Packets 0

0 IP Address Routed IP

Primary DNS

Secondary DNS xx.xxx.xx.xxx

68.238.96.12 Ethernet Status In Packets

Out Packets 18520245

31058534 ATM NetworkAddress VPI

VCI 0

35 Firewall Status Passed

Dropped In: 0 Out: 0

In: 0 Out: 0

It might just be misreported in your modem. When I had Qwest DSL I saw the same thing in my modem config. The sync rate wasn't showing correctly even though I was upgraded and actually getting higher speeds. I think it was a 2-wire modem. So I don't think what's reported there actually has any bearing over your true speeds. ;)

Well, let's assume the modem is mis-reporting its sync speed. Even on a perfect connection, 7.1Mbps is all I could possibly get on the equipment in this area. The TMN speed tests are in this range, but some of the highest are in the 7.11-7.24 Mbps range-- faster than possible in theory; and that's before we have removed the bandwidth consumed by the network overhead (or does TMN account for network overhead bandwidth?)

Well, let's assume the modem is mis-reporting its sync speed. Even on a perfect connection, 7.1Mbps is all I could possibly get on the equipment in this area. The TMN speed tests are in this range, but some of the highest are in the 7.11-7.24 Mbps range-- faster than possible in theory; and that's before we have removed the bandwidth consumed by the network overhead (or does TMN account for network overhead bandwidth?)

Used to.. but haven't for a long time. Sometimes people get higher than advertised speeds. Mine is supposed to be 50Mbps but I've seen up to 60.

same. mine is 50 and i've seen 64 before... its possible to hit quite a bit higher then provisioned it just takes good conditions

same. mine is 50 and I've seen 64 before... its possible to hit quite a bit higher then provisioned it just takes good conditions

Agreed. But I'm talking about sync speed, not provisioned speed. How am I getting TMN speed tests results ~800kbps above my modem's reported sync rate? Results from other speed test services are reporting ~5478 kbps. Someone is wrong, and I suspect it's the results from TMN. I'd like to discover why.

Agreed. But I'm talking about sync speed, not provisioned speed. How am I getting TMN speed tests results ~800kbps above my modem's reported sync rate? Results from other speed test services are reporting ~5478 kbps. Someone is wrong, and I suspect it's the results from TMN. I'd like to discover why.

The results here can't be wrong. I start a timer... I serve you an amount of infomation that's precise down to the individual byte.. then stop the timer. The mathematics behind this test has been individually evaluated by tons of people who have nothing to do with TMN and everyone reports that the level of accuracy here is precise. If you see those results... that's how fast you downloaded the information. I've been developing this for nearly 17 years... trust me, my math is correct. Like I said... when I was on Qwest they messed up and gave me the wrong speed... I called and they fixed it but for a while in my modem configuration it still said ~20Mbps/768 Kbps... I was getting 40Mbps/20Mbps in reality... if that can happen, you situation can happen too. You can't always trust things like that... deep in the software it may pull the variable that it reports to you from another area... while the true variable that really controls how the modem works is hidden and only able to be read by the modem internally. Trust me.