Resuts Vs. Actual Download speeds?

Larka

****EDIT EDIT EDIT I just used the TCP Optimizer and it totally helped! boosted my Connection Speed to over 18Mbs and my download to 2.3Mbps so this is a moot post now by i'm leaving it up for now. Thank you guys!!!! EDIT EDIT EDIT***

So, quickly wanted to say hello and thank you guys for welcoming me here.

Okay, so I just switched my ISP from Century Link to Cox and purchased their 15Mb package. The Wireless and Wired work (hence i'm using the forums) and currently in Wired Mode.

Now, when I download something from the internet, such as a 90mb file from download.com, firefox tells me in the little download window that my speed is anywhere from 1Mbps to 2.2Mbps.

(avg. 1.5-2)

This site says my max is 1Mbps and avg is like 800Kbps.

So, what gives? Also my connection speed is half what it should. Other sites range from 9Mbs to 21Mbs. but this say like 7Mbs.

Oh, and any tips for increasing my wireless speeds (I'm a gamer and use Skype a lot) such as tweaks and stuff would be very helpful.

Thank you guys in advance for any help. :) *phree c00ki3s*

Edited by Larka

****EDIT EDIT EDIT I just used the TCP Optimizer and it totally helped! boosted my Connection Speed to over 18Mbs and my download to 2.3Mbps so this is a moot post now by i'm leaving it up for now. Thank you guys!!!! EDIT EDIT EDIT***

So, quickly wanted to say hello and thank you guys for welcoming me here.

Okay, so I just switched my ISP from Century Link to Cox and purchased their 15Mb package. The Wireless and Wired work (hence i'm using the forums) and currently in Wired Mode.

Now, when I download something from the internet, such as a 90mb file from download.com, firefox tells me in the little download window that my speed is anywhere from 1Mbps to 2.2Mbps.

(avg. 1.5-2)

This site says my max is 1Mbps and avg is like 800Kbps.

So, what gives? Also my connection speed is half what it should. Other sites range from 9Mbs to 21Mbs. but this say like 7Mbs.

Oh, and any tips for increasing my wireless speeds (I'm a gamer and use Skype a lot) such as tweaks and stuff would be very helpful.

Thank you guys in advance for any help. :) *phree c00ki3s*

phree c00ki3s... that's cool. :grin:

Don't you just love how I tell you the truth here... it helps rather than hurts.

You've just seen first hand the difference between TMN and other Interent speed tests. This is for multiple reasons.

• The other guys test your speed under the most ideal circumstances... they've removed many of the variables that are the Internet. Personally I believe that you're not here to know your speed under ideal conditions... you're here to test your Internet speed. How can you test your Internet speed if you're not even truly going out on the Internet? The tests that providers and the people that work for the providers best interests host are hosted within your providers network... TMN is a test that stands for the best interests of the consumer.

For more details please read https://testmy.net/legit-speed-test.php

• Other speed tests run through third party protocols. These often bypass issues that you may have with your browser and OS configuration. They're also, in their own admission, often guessing... and adjusting the results based on guesses because of the poor protocol choice they've made. You didn't come to test your Internet for a guess, right?

For more details please read https://testmy.net/ip...la-speed-tests/

TestMy.net is the only speed test that works the way it does. Your results along with countless others prove my point... results elsewhere often can't be trusted. Especially if the provider is involved, which is often the case. They have a vested interest in showing you that your connection is fine and that the problem is with the website you're trying to visit. It cuts down on service calls and saves them money. Personally, I could care less about how many service calls those guys have to send out... your connection should work the way that your provider advertises. I'm here to hopefully keep them honest. TMN is a third party with no vested interests in the outcome of the results.

Having said that, this wasn't Cox's fault. This was a problem with settings on your end... a fault of your operating system. As you found, it's a simple fix with SpeedGuide's TCP Optimizer. Seems to me that the providers would keep much happier customers if they just sent them to TMN in the first place rather than having their customers have to figure it out on their own. It used to be standard operating procedure before many of them realized that hosting their own tests made them look better. Although I still think testing out to the Internet is better information the information on how your connection runs within their network is also useful... but only if the test being used is based on sound testing principals. If they're using Flash... like all of them are... the principals aren't sound. You saw the difference first hand, help me spread the word... people need to know this stuff.

And Larka, you will find that under some conditions of degraded signals coming into your house, they will show then speed as being good on your ISP's tools. Also, I don't know what their algorithms are, but you can watch their analog meter during times of signal interrupts (with signals valid or degraded) drop down tomzeronduring the test then display the result as the ending meter value, so they are throwing out the data that makes them look bad. I have no idea whatbtheirnrationale for that is since the tools are supposedly there to help a customer troubleshoot. Interrupts on this site result in a lower throughput reading after the test. There must be either poorly written or perhaps no regulations written that they conform to. I don't know how they get away with advertising the rates they are claiming. On average they never meet them. On my best days my speeds are 20% lower than what my ISP has promised as a minimum,Man's download speeds measured on TMN are typically 1/3 of what their tools says I'm getting.

Look at you numbers relative to your prior test results, and compare your results to your local ISPs speeds on this site, and to the ISPs average performance nationally. Once you've established what "good" is, it's easy to spot when there's an issue. my typical numbers are significantly lower than the national averages for Time Warner but usually 5-10% higher than my local average speeds on TMN.

Same thing on most any standard keyboard that does not have roll-over technology

I've actually never heard of roll-over technology... so is this why my typing has been more accurate since I switched to the thin iMac keyboard? Maybe something to do with that as well as a better design to make it less likely to hit other keys...

I've actually never heard of roll-over technology... so is this why my typing has been more accurate since I switched to the thin iMac keyboard? Maybe something to do with that as well as a better design to make it less likely to hit other keys...

I decided to look into this after they cut my hand and arm twice and was typing worse then ever. Since I was a touch typer but never really did that great of a job following the standard, when the nerves twitched I hit the wrong keys. Once I righted this ( for the most part ) In the mean time I found n-key rollover , which supposedly the KB is wired where each key is separate instead of in series ( could be wrong there ). None the less I'm still a touch typer, but much like yourself ca3le , I've developed my own rhythm and way to find the keys. And with this KB when I get moving sooper fast I don't get missed and double or triple key presses.

As for the thin KB , I have one here as well, used it for a while, now it sits over there lol It started hurting my hands , no back pressure or rebound, so I use a tactile KB, like the old ones , noisy as hell and each key is a switch , not a gushy......... whatever you call it lol

I decided to look into this after they cut my hand and arm twice and was typing worse then ever. Since I was a touch typer but never really did that great of a job following the standard, when the nerves twitched I hit the wrong keys. Once I righted this ( for the most part ) In the mean time I found n-key rollover , which supposedly the KB is wired where each key is separate instead of in series ( could be wrong there ). None the less I'm still a touch typer, but much like yourself ca3le , I've developed my own rhythm and way to find the keys. And with this KB when I get moving sooper fast I don't get missed and double or triple key presses.

As for the thin KB , I have one here as well, used it for a while, now it sits over there lol It started hurting my hands , no back pressure or rebound, so I use a tactile KB, like the old ones , noisy as hell and each key is a switch , not a gushy......... whatever you call it lol

I still like my Logitech MX 5500... at heart I like a keyboard that you can hear. But my Apple keyboard is much stealithier for late night sessions when my household is asleep. I've been doing most of my recent work on the Apple keyboard.

Yeah... screw 'home row'. I could never type that way.

... I did it myyy waaaay. lol

Home row to me is more like where ever my hands happen to be at the time, even if the right pointer is wandering over to the T lol

Yes , the noise is obvious, at the same time they ' the people around me ' no longer say anything like ' there he goes typin is ass off ' haha , I think they're used to it as am I.

I just cannot beat it. I type much more accurate and my fingers do not hurt at the end of the day.

Anytime i might hear of an old IBM with ALPS , I would try and get it for a second. People just don't let them go. This KB used white ALPS, but there has been some controversy as to how he was able to get the company to make him all these switches. But i tell you what, I have used an original with ALPS and virtually none if any difference to my recollection.

Kinda hyjacked this thread , like old times :lol:

Home row to me is more like where ever my hands happen to be at the time, even if the right pointer is wandering over to the T lol

Yes , the noise is obvious, at the same time they ' the people around me ' no longer say anything like ' there he goes typin is ass off ' haha , I think they're used to it as am I.

I just cannot beat it. I type much more accurate and my fingers do not hurt at the end of the day.

Anytime i might hear of an old IBM with ALPS , I would try and get it for a second. People just don't let them go. This KB used white ALPS, but there has been some controversy as to how he was able to get the company to make him all these switches. But i tell you what, I have used an original with ALPS and virtually none if any difference to my recollection.

Kinda hyjacked this thread , like old times :laugh:

Yeah, super old keyboards have a nice sound to them... they were built well. Each key was its own separate button... most people would think that's how all keyboards are but if you've ever taken one apart you'll understand the lengths that manufactures have gone to for the cost to be effective. Exactly why if you want one like the old ones these days you have to pay a premium for it. I personally always spend a premium for keyboards, mice and monitors... it's how you interface with your machine.... if that's lacking, your whole experience is lacking... no matter how fast it is.

Kinda hyjacked this thread , like old times :laugh:

Yeah, we went a little off subject. :-P -- sorry Larka! We do that sometimes. :-D

My favorite keyboard was the one that came with my 2002 Flat Panel iMac (the 1st flat panel computer I think). I retired the iMac in mid 2010 but I still use the keyboard on my PS3. It had a great feel, a muted noise, and the feel of the keys were great.

I had never heard of the roll-over technology either.

• 3 months later...

I started with Exede thic Oct 1. My downloads ranged from 20.79 Mbps to 10 Mbps. Uploads ranged around .580 Mbps.

On Dec 22 up to now - Uploads around .635 Mbps and down loads around .222Mbps.

No changes in computer or browsers.

Anyone having this problem?

Thanks

Any

• CA3LE locked this topic