Single Media TV live streaming device slowing my connection down.

alan8187

I can have 5 PCs in the house streaming netflix at the same time and I can still play online games and surf the web with ease. Now once I turn the Media TV live streaming device on it knocks my ping up to like 300-500. I can no longer play any kind of competitive online games at all. Then it takes like a good 10 seconds for a website to load. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Netflix is a serious bandwidth hog, taking one third of the continental USA bandwidth at times, many times. < irrelevant to your issue

Live streaming will consume more bandwidth then a compressed netflix movie. , especially if HD. Since streaming will appear on a real time bandwidth meter as a 'heartbeat' or similar, the data cannot be compressed much due to being live, they may only have a 5 minutes pre start time.

Trying to stream a live event in HD and play an online game would require a significant download cap, now please don't quote the figure, but my thoughts would be in the neighborhood of 100 Mbps down and at least 5 Mbps up. Those figures are my thoughts not examples of fact.

Yeah most of the channels are HD on the media device and my connection is a little bit better if streaming on a non HD ch. I was thinking about getting a better connection anyway. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Is there a setting to grab the content you want to stream, in a lower resolution ? Wish I had more experience with netflix to get in deeper with you.

Just a thought, have you tried Boxee ? I've set a few of those up, although to get the most, again you'll need a decent system running it.

Just curious.