How do I close ports? AND/OR stop this damn attack thing

ToWhateverEnd

My Kaspersky anti-virus pops up a few times a day (maybe 2-4) saying "Your internet has tried to be attacked by Helkern from address [insert an IP address here]. It has been successfully repelled.

Now from what I read, Helkern spreads through port 1434 on Microsoft Server SQL or something? I don't even have that on my computer, so how is the port that Helkern tries to attack on open? I did netstat -a and it doesn't  show port 1434 open.

Either way I'm getting sick of this Helkern thing trying to attack me, I'm not running a network or anything so why would it try to get on my computer?

I have up to date anti virus definitions and have scanned my computer 3 times in the past 2 days, I have no infections. It keeps blocking out this Helkern thing, but nevertheless it's irritating to have a pop up screen scare the crap out of me everytime it blocks it.

How can I stop this?

get a firewall... zone alarm should take care of this.. my guess is that you might have spyware that came before the attacks started.. which is listening for the attack.. It pretty much would act like a proxy...  Run a spyware scan and put a firewall on and you should be good

Personally i wouldn't get Zone Alarm. I did extensive testing on every firewall i could find. Zone Alarm has so many holes in it you can use it for a strainer. 2 best were Agnitum Outpost, and Tiny Personal Firewall. Agnitum was a brick wall, no leak tests got through and that was with default setup....amazing. Tiny personal firewall only failed one with default setup, so with a little tweek here and there it would be very good also..... Get a Firewall!!! :lol:

Firewalls just make people more paranoid... Especialy if you have it set to tell you when an possible attack occurs. I used to use zone alarm pro, and that thing would go off 1000x times a day. I mean non stopped. Their is no way in hell i would be getting that many "hack attempts". Best thing i found is to just ignore it. Unless your mouse starts moving on its own, or typing without you touching anything... just ignore it.