Test My NEt in UK/Europe - Please!

chrisuk

This service looks great. I and quite a few people in UK are trying to gather some local data to prove to BT that we have a substandard broadband service in our area (which we do). The TestMyNet service is perfect because it allows tests to be automatically run at intervals and logged.

However without servers closer to us, the tests have no meaning.

I note forum posts in 2010 that you intended to get european servers. Is there any chance you can manage to do so in the next few weeks?

If not, can you point me to a service that does what you do in the UK or western Europe?

Chris

not sure what ca3le's plans are for a european server...but i do know and your provider should know that when you go on the internet much of the content that you see and the websites you visit aren't in your area...internet is worldwide...so a test to a server that is far away is much more realistic. whenever i'm having problems my provider always wants me to to go to a certain page and run a test on their intranet server and the test is an ookla test, which is very deceptive and doesn't pick up many problems. i tell them "no, i'll run a test at testmy.net because it's a REAL WORLD test"

i'm sure ca3le will bee in here today to address this further

This service looks great. I and quite a few people in UK are trying to gather some local data to prove to BT that we have a substandard broadband service in our area (which we do). The TestMyNet service is perfect because it allows tests to be automatically run at intervals and logged.

However without servers closer to us, the tests have no meaning.

I note forum posts in 2010 that you intended to get european servers. Is there any chance you can manage to do so in the next few weeks?

If not, can you point me to a service that does what you do in the UK or western Europe?

Chris

Hey Chris,

I had a server in Amsterdam for a little while but I had to back it off and focus on the US at the time.

... having said that... it's time to reopen that avenue. I'm configuring a server in Amsterdam as we speak. Should be ready for testing in a couple of hours. I'll update this topic when I'm finished.

- Damon

Update: It's provisioning... west coast will be down during the transaction because it's copying off that server.

... I should have probably done it off the DC server because it's closer and would have been faster. But more people use that server so I didn't want to inconvenience them.

WOW!!! ask and ye shall receive

how do ya like that?? :grin:

:evil6:

That was very unexpected. You have my gratitude, and indeed that of the people in Herongate and Ingrave UK on behalf of whom I was making the request.

Thank you very much!

Chris

No problem. I appreciate your patronage. It's almost online... :occasion14:

Alright Chris, I've got an EU server for you now.

http://eu.testmy.net -- visiting that link will change your default server to Amsterdam, Netherlands.

You can also change the server at the top of the page... (on the speed test side of the site, not the forums)

post-2-0-28407600-1349899137.png

...and on the testing pages.

post-2-0-15337100-1349899177_thumb.png

... If you spread the word I'll be as grateful as you are.

I do feel great being able to have the connection I do. I would not have the download if I did not need the upload speed, although I say a crappy 3Mbps , I could use three to five times this and get my act done quicker. Screw the download, it's a waste for what I do. Yet with the messy clutter of tripe being moved around on the net anymore , it's really a necessity just for a decent feel while playing instead of working.

mudmanc4. I get 1/4 of that on a good day from Cincinnati (Time Warner RoadRunner)

Let's see how well it works:

m752goD.png

QCFS9Ld.png

As opposed to east coast server:

klw9IzH.png

A little surprised that it won't go faster to Washington. Would it be an idea and even possible to include a small ping test inside the download/upload test, so one could see whether latency is the bottleneck or not?

Let's see how well it works:

m752goD.png

QCFS9Ld.png

As opposed to east coast server:

klw9IzH.png

A little surprised that it won't go faster to Washington. Would it be an idea and even possible to include a small ping test inside the download/upload test, so one could see whether latency is the bottleneck or not?

I'll have ping and traceroute built in soon :wink:

awesome speed!