few hardware questions

starship_troopers

hey guys, got a few questions regarding compatibility/upgrades

1. whats the big difference between socket 1155 and 2011 and will the next 2 or so generations of motherboard probably make 1155 sockets obselete (im sure it will be just wondering)

2. im wanting a mobo with 2 different gen3 pciex16 slots for my graphics card(s). whats the big difference right now in terms of will it be too long before they get fully utilized. i know gen2 slots still are perfectly fine.

3. do i really need crossfire 7970's for a single 1080p 60hz monitor? i doubt it but if i can get away with a great increase then why not haha.

4. i heard 7970's are way better at rendering and video editing than nvidia 680's. is this true?

5. i've never used liquid cooling for my cpu (a closed loop system). should i go with a really good air cooler or will liquid cooling be better for the case air flow?

6. im really drooling over this In-Win Dragon Rider full tower case maxed out on fans. any reviews out there from you guys?

7. ddr3 1866mhz ram. 8gb ...should i hit 4gb of this beastly stuff or go ahead for 8gb. its really only like 15 bucks more so why not double it to 8 right?

8.if i go liquid cooling should i get the push/pull 240mm setup or is that a little overkill?

9. i have no clue how to calculate how much psu usage a system will have. so i always just guess a little higher than i think i need. im thinking a coolermaster 80+ gold rated 1000W. 0_o

sorry for the list lol. im trying to get back into the loop. im so dang busy at the moment its crazy. full time job, keeping up a server for gaming, baby on the way, etc. busy times lol.

1. 2011 is the newest but it only supports the I7 series as of right now, however there is nothing wrong with 1155, they actually just released the new ivybridge CPU's for it so you wouldn't have any issues for a long time using that socket either

2. i doubt you'll see very much benefit on Gen3 PCI express slots for quite some time

3. no you wouldn't need two 7970's for a single 1080p 60hz monitor the only reason i'd ever get two is if your using resolutions like 5760x3240 with like 6+ monitors and trying to game on it,

4. yes as of now they are better then the 680s for video rendering, Nvidia is definately more focus'd on game performance however the 7970 should still knock your socks off with game performance aswell, i have a 5870 and i can still max any game out coming out today with no performance problems

5. i use a closed loop system, heres the thing with closed loop... you won't see much better then air cooling temps for idle because the radiators just aren't big enough however if you will be overclocking at all then this is the option to go because it does do significantly better at cooling higher wattage CPU's under load

6. nope never seen the case but a quick google search should suffice plus check the newegg comments on the case thats always pretty unbiased first hand experience.

7. you might be better off going with 12GB of ram or 16GB because you need to run triple channel memory if i'm not mistaken otherwise you will seriously be hindering the maximum performance your cpu can achieve

8. i use push pull i don't really notice much difference to be honest

9. that sounds like a good estimate if your going to be running two 7970's if only one you could survive on 750W np

i understand completely! i just got a new job, aswell the g/f and i are planning on moving in together soon too god life moves so fast >.<

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for the time between my posts. i swear i replied from my smart phone. i apologize again!

thank you very much for that reply. it had every answer i needed right there. thank you!

i do have one more question. what is the fastest ram that i can use with a 3770k cpu? newegg specs for the cpu only have ddr3-1600 as the fastest it supports. so if i bought the 1866mhz ram it would effectively downclock in a sense, right? or does it not matter? cause if i get the mobo i want, i really want the ddr3-1866 ram. not that with 8gb i would notice a major difference but still....im curious lol.

You can buy whatever speed ram you want and it can generally be under clocked infact in some cases high performance memory is under clocked by default however using memory at an unrated frequency either to low or to high can cause memory errors and that is just something you don't want my suggestion would be buy the max speed ram your motherboard supports cause it will be the motherboard that dictates what speed your using cpus don't really work that way anymore

2. im wanting a mobo with 2 different gen3 pciex16 slots for my graphics card(s). whats the big difference right now in terms of will it be too long before they get fully utilized. i know gen2 slots still are perfectly fine.

It's safe to say that x16 gen2 isn't fully utilized yet either.

3. do i really need crossfire 7970's for a single 1080p 60hz monitor? i doubt it but if i can get away with a great increase then why not haha.

Depends on the game and your CPU power. One 7970 is going to be overkill for 99% of all games out there, with exceptions being stuff like Metro 2033 and extreme battles in Starcraft 2 (CPU limitation).

4. i heard 7970's are way better at rendering and video editing than nvidia 680's. is this true?

Averaging over many games, they're about equal. Nvidia gets CUDA and physx, because it owns both sadly.

5. i've never used liquid cooling for my cpu (a closed loop system). should i go with a really good air cooler or will liquid cooling be better for the case air flow?

Custom water cooling is going to provide better temperatures at a much higher cost and maintenance. Then there are the closed-loop systems like the H100, which tend to be just a bit better than top-end air cooling. The advantage of such systems is that you don't have a huge block of aluminium/copper hanging on your motherboard.

7. ddr3 1866mhz ram. 8gb ...should i hit 4gb of this beastly stuff or go ahead for 8gb. its really only like 15 bucks more so why not double it to 8 right?

At this point, 8GB is downright affordable, so for a high-end system the goal is now 16GB (2x8) or even 32GB (4x8).

8.if i go liquid cooling should i get the push/pull 240mm setup or is that a little overkill?

It'll be overkill if you don't overclock your CPU to 4.5+Ghz.

9. i have no clue how to calculate how much psu usage a system will have. so i always just guess a little higher than i think i need. im thinking a coolermaster 80+ gold rated 1000W. 0_o

The only time that wouldn't be overkill would be OC'd CPU + OC'd crossfire 79070s.

sorry for the list lol. im trying to get back into the loop. im so dang busy at the moment its crazy. full time job, keeping up a server for gaming, baby on the way, etc. busy times lol.

Sounds like you wouldn't have much use for an expensive high-end rig, it would be better to save the money.

i do have one more question. what is the fastest ram that i can use with a 3770k cpu? newegg specs for the cpu only have ddr3-1600 as the fastest it supports. so if i bought the 1866mhz ram it would effectively downclock in a sense, right? or does it not matter? cause if i get the mobo i want, i really want the ddr3-1866 ram. not that with 8gb i would notice a major difference but still....im curious lol.

That's just the official maximum. You can run the RAM at 1866 speed, but you'll probably have to set it manually in the BIOS.

It's safe to say that x16 gen2 isn't fully utilized yet either.

Depends on the game and your CPU power. One 7970 is going to be overkill for 99% of all games out there, with exceptions being stuff like Metro 2033 and extreme battles in Starcraft 2 (CPU limitation).

Averaging over many games, they're about equal. Nvidia gets CUDA and physx, because it owns both sadly.

Custom water cooling is going to provide better temperatures at a much higher cost and maintenance. Then there are the closed-loop systems like the H100, which tend to be just a bit better than top-end air cooling. The advantage of such systems is that you don't have a huge block of aluminium/copper hanging on your motherboard.

At this point, 8GB is downright affordable, so for a high-end system the goal is now 16GB (2x8) or even 32GB (4x8).

It'll be overkill if you don't overclock your CPU to 4.5+Ghz.

The only time that wouldn't be overkill would be OC'd CPU + OC'd crossfire 79070s.

Sounds like you wouldn't have much use for an expensive high-end rig, it would be better to save the money.

That's just the official maximum. You can run the RAM at 1866 speed, but you'll probably have to set it manually in the BIOS.

RTB the memory thing really depends on what socket he buys, with 2011 socket he'll want to run quad channel memory so he'll need 4 sticks at least with the 1155 i believe its only dual channel? so 2 should work fine