upgrading ubuntu...

tdawnaz

my dilema...i have natty narwhal...and i just got notice that my time is up and i won't be getting any updates or support and that i need to upgrade...i think to oneric ocelot...

my question is...has anyone else done this and what can i expect...will i lose email? pictures? files? do i need back everything up? AND is it difficult to do?

Always so afraid of losing it all... the halmark of someone who's lost information before. Don't worry, I'll walk you through it over the phone. After, you can update this thread to let others know that it didn't hurt to rip the bandaid off.

There has been a lot of updates since Natty Narwal (11.04). Ubuntu is on version 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal, they have weird release names). That's 1.5 years newer, imagine all the stuff they've learned in 1.5 years... give your computer those instructions! The process isn't going to restructure your file system... and if it was going to, it would let you know of the risks involved before doing so. No worries.

Give the Boy a call. If he don't know no one else will!! :thumbsup:

yeh he's gonna help me today...i'm a chicken

Always so afraid of losing it all... the halmark of someone who's lost information before. Don't worry, I'll walk you through it over the phone. After, you can update this thread to let others know that it didn't hurt to rip the bandaid off.

There has been a lot of updates since Natty Narwal (11.04). Ubuntu is on version 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal, they have weird release names). That's 1.5 years newer, imagine all the stuff they've learned in 1.5 years... give your computer those instructions! The process isn't going to restructure your file system... and if it was going to, it would let you know of the risks involved before doing so. No worries.

yeh i've lost a lot before...i actually started this topic for the purpose of informing others ...good or bad...but i had read in a forum about a year ago that someone had updated and it wiped everything. so i also wanted to know if anyone in here had wished they had backed up their stuff

Upgraded to 12.10 a few days ago and all is well :smiley: Dive in.

thank you...that makes me feel better

well,as a old M/s fanboy , and having tried Ubantu way back ( was it version Crystal meths ? )

I have a box running Ubantu 12 .01 , against all the odds I am likeing it,

might be my O/S of choice soon . and forced on my suported tribe ,

still on XP pro , ( so tunable ) missed Vista due to lack of funds ( maybe being poor has it's hidden advantages ? )

having worked on a few win 7 boxes , ( not impressed ) Win 8 touch screen LOL = forever removing fingerprints don't apeal .

.leaves me looking to Linux , failing that I got Win M.E ,

7 imo is no more then a bloated out XP with pretties. I mean what is it you can actually DO that makes it all better, where XP or any linux distro cannot? Nothing.

Does your win 7 email work better ? Really? The email servers are the same with little or no difference in 20 years, internet, any system can connect to anything out there, with the proper fiddling. What is it with people and getting new this and new that , that does nothing more then remove your data to a server or all servers away from your local machine.

I can understand security patches and more efficient means to Tx + Rx it, all the rest is simply eating resources for nothing.

What I do see, is the further we move into 'new technology' , the less intelligent people are getting. Just click that button. Instead of actually knowing what that button does., does this make the world a better place ? I'm not seeing it.

• 3 weeks later...

well i thought i should update this...i finished upgrading my computer and my granddaughters computer...had to do them in steps cuz we were a couple of upgrades behind...and i stopped at 12.4 because it's LTS and 12.10 isn't

sooo all don't with no issues at all...thanks all for the encouragement...that made be be brave enough to dive in and just do it.

<3:-*

I made a mistake, yum is a different package manager, you can use the following

In case you want to do it the easy way

Accessories ~ root shell [or just a shell and type the following in any shell]

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
You'll be asked for the root password. OR if you would like nothing new installed, simply the latest of what you have --
sudo aptitude --no-new-installs safe-upgrade

Poof , system will search for updates, and implement them , so that the rest of your system is not negatively effected. Done.

Updated to the latest version of the stable release.

The only worries I have when upgrading any linux distro are normally related to hardware drivers, normally ones for my wifi and video card. If you are not using them (I think ubuntu makes it pretty clear if you are) then you normally shouldn’t worry about upgrading to the latest supported release.

Now If Mr Valve / Steam (Gabe) would actually get behind his support for Linux, I wouldn’t have any reason to use windows at all :wink:

I made a mistake, yum is a different package manager, you can use the following

In case you want to do it the easy way

Accessories ~ root shell [or just a shell and type the following in any shell]

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
You'll be asked for the root password. OR if you would like nothing new installed, simply the latest of what you have --
sudo aptitude --no-new-installs safe-upgrade

Poof , system will search for updates, and implement them , so that the rest of your system is not negatively effected. Done.

Updated to the latest version of the stable release.

that's all greek to me...maybe you can get on the horn with me and walk me thru next time :smiley:

Now If Mr Valve / Steam (Gabe) would actually get behind his support for Linux, I wouldn’t have any reason to use windows at all :wink:

at the risk of sounding completely stupid...who's that?

that's all greek to me...maybe you can get on the horn with me and walk me thru next time :smiley:

at the risk of sounding completely stupid...who's that?

:) He is the head of a very big game distribution / development company. Gameing and office compatiability are two of the big things that keeps Windows popular / successful. If he started to concentrate on linux, it would give it a big popularity boost!

My Girlfriend / Sister / Mom knows nothing about him either :P

Yeah, and all of the big 'back office' stuff corporations use. Exchange (an email server program) IIS (a program that hosts websites) MSSQL (a ummm, errrr, things that does databases!)

:)

oh it comes with libre office...which from what i understand is what open office became after being bought out by sun corp...it does it all and is compatible with office and vice versa...you just save in the regular office format. i learned this because my grdaughter saved a powerpoint...calledimpress in libre and the extension is odt so the teacher couoldn't open it and we had to save it as a ppt...easy

Your close mama, first it was staroffice, then sun bought the rights, then oracle bought sun, they called it oracleoffice, and derived another fork, then about the same time two dudes from oracle decided to take matters into their hands and made thedocumentfoundation, which in turn released libreoffice , while oracle released openoffice to completely free and open source project now called apache open office.

Yes, I had to look that up lol .. and I believe I have that correct -- or close enough to call

I just wanted to add a bit of depth to your already good comment about libreoffice :P

So you see, this is all one 16 year old gentlemans fault [ Marco Börries ], in 1984, who started star office -- thank you :)

If you want to use apache open office instead of libroffice on ubuntu~

First un-install libreoffice

sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice-core
Install apache open office 32bit:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/office
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openoffice[/code] If your running a 64bit OS continue on~
[code]sudo apt-get install libxrandr2:i386 libxinerama1:i386
If you get an error and a fail, change the permissions as follows ~
sudo chmod a+rx /opt/openoffice.org3/share/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages

root programs??...what's that? substandard.

i figure...it's not broken so i have no need to fix it. and when it is broken i can't be trying to fix

it with any backdoor smartypants way...i have to do it the easy way.

i do appreciate you guys teaching me new stuff that i can figure out how to do tho...i wouldn't

what i know if it wasn't for my brilliant son and all of you...my cyber buddies.

I just mean to say , like ubuntu , it is a 'fork' or debian , or a 'flavor' or 'dist' of.

And libreoffice is what actually started it all , outside of the windows conglomerate that is.

Programs or operating systems that were the 'root' or the start or where so many others have come from.

And you'll do fine using the gui, it's come a long way. Hell I don't mind using centos or debian gui, aside the fact you can't do shit unless you open a shell and have sudo permissions.

Idk I think ubuntu is a little newbie friendly and doesn't allow you to do as much...

I prefer Debian type of flavors more so then ubuntu or gnome.

As a gamer I have to use windows or I am just pulling myself back although I will never touch Win8 ever :P

Ubuntu is great for learning though

although Linux Mint might suit you more :)