Is service possible outside beam footprint?

tm24ns58

I hope that is the correct way to describe it. Although I can not find where it was again I saw a map yesterday evening that showed the beams as they cover different part of the U.S.. I was outside that footprint that is the closest to me. HughesNet tells me I can get service in my area. I tell them that my physical address shows to be outside the footprint. This is for the new Gen4 system. I am scheduled to be installed this afternoon.

So my question is can I get service at all?

If I can what will be the disadvantages?

Thanks to anyone who can help me decide if I should go ahead with this installation or delay it a bit.

If you're out of range, it doesn't mean you cannot get service. Hughes might be able to get you running on their Gen4 satellites, but keep in mind, it might be the same deal with being outside of the usable range of DSL or for that matter, wireless service. It may work, but if the powers that be (usually weather) decide, your service may be far more likely to degrade or go out. With satellite, you're very prone to rain fade if you have a marginal signal as is.

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and had the system installed. I am happy with it so far. I think I was expecting faster speeds then I am getting but it is faster then my HN7000S and the bill will be about 10 bucks cheaper per month. I have 30 days to get out of contract so I will use that time to make my final decision. Right now I see no reason to get rid of it, especially if it picks up any speed.

Sounds good. Keep in mind, I believe Hughes with their Gen4 service took away the unlimited bandwidth usage during the night, and you now have a bonus bucket of bytes each night. So, if you run large downloads during the night, best to let you know about that so you aren't stuck at sub-dial up speeds under the FAP.

I believe Hughes with their Gen4 service took away the unlimited bandwidth usage during the night, and you now have a bonus bucket of bytes each night. So, if you run large downloads during the night, best to let you know about that so you aren't stuck at sub-dial up speeds under the FAP.

That sounds like Hughes. always short sheeting someone some how. :read:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I thought I had 30 days to check it out. The person I bought it from and the install tech both told me I had 30 days to decide to keep it. Well a couple days ago I tried to cancel and they said I was under contract. Several phones call, chats and community post later, it is true, as soon as they install your new Gen4 system you are under a 2 year contract. No trial period for upgrading customers. I believe a new customer gets the 30 day trial. I pray the speed doesn't fall any more then it already has. I get some burst of speed on my test but not what they advertise it to be.

• 2 weeks later...