Hanging while testing

dasho

Hi folks.

I have been a loyal member to testmy.net for quite a few years and love the site. But I have never had to use the forum before. Now, I am in need of some assistance.

I have been a Comcast customer for 12+ years through 4-5 different apartments/ houses.

I bought this home 3 years ago and have had Comcast here the entire time.

This is pretty embarrassing but I dont even know what service package I have. I believe its 8mbps down.

Since the day I installed the rented modem, I have had no less than 30mbps down. It caps at 34.2. Thats also the highest I ever hit. Average is 32.XX

Thats not running the speedboost or whatever its called.

That is 24/7, any size test.

I am on my second router (Cisco) since Ive been in this home.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed Netflix on the Xbox was taking a while to load a show (hung at buffering 99% for about 20 seconds.)

I didnt think much of it at the time.

Over the past two weeks, it seems as though someone threw a switch and cut me down to the 8mbps package.

I know this seems ridiculous to complain about not having something that Im not paying for.

But my concern is not that my service has been cut back, its that something on my end is not right.

Heres why: When I run any size test, it seems to hang at different points. Before if I ran a (for example) 15mb test, it would zip right through and do it smoothly. Regardless of size, it would never hang. It may be slower on larger tests, but it was still a smooth bar moving right. Now, when I run any size test, it'll hang for 5-6 seconds at (for example) 44% then continue.

Sometimes it will hang on 2-3 different points during the test.

And my test speeds are not consistent, another reason I dont think it was a change on Comcast end.

I can run 10 12mb tests in a row and have 10 different speeds between 2.XX mbps and 24.XX mbps.

I have used tcp optimizer for years because Im not brave enough to manually tweak.

Nothing has changed with it.

It was business as usual when this began, no changes had been made to the pc.

Here is what I have done to try and figure out/remedy my situation:

Taken the router out of the equation.

Replaced/swapped out cat5 cables.

Tweaked tcp optimizer.

Went to Comcast for new/different modem. Its a router/wifi/modem.

Ran Spybot, Norton and Lavasofts' Ad-aware. Came back clean as a whistle.

Power cycled modems/routers/pc etc.

Any other technical information about the pc is available on demand.

Im certainly no expert but Ive never taken my pc to anyone to have it fixed.

I build my own rigs and do all maintenance for family and friends on their pc's.

I just dont know anything about this stuff.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance you may be able to provide.

Shawn O.

Cape Coral, FL.

Wow, Im a mess.

I tried to edit the post and am logged in but got the message that I dont have permission to edit.

I got my droids wifi going with the new modem/router combo from Comcast and its running 9.9 mbps, the same as its always done. And smoothly.

Is this possibly a network adapter issue? I have had them go bad a couple of times over the years but they just went bad, as in quit working altogether. Not slowed down.

Its an onboard Realtek adapter.

i believe you have to have a certain post count to edit...send me a message what edit you want made and i can do it for you...

i sure hope someone in here pops in pretty quick to help with your connection problems

not that long ago i had problems...my speeds dipped dramatically and testmy was the only site that picked up the problem...all the others showed my regular speeds...turned out to be that i just needed to buy a new modem (which you've already done) and these guys in here helped me figure that out. so hang in there

Two things i would look at first thing would be to trace route testmy.net , see if your going through the DC area or somewhere on the upper east coast. Since your in florida I'm wondering about the storm and possible re routing .

Second i would add to the lost of system scanners 'malwarebytes' , making sure to get the older one , red , not the new blue colored program. Strange ? Yes, the company was either taken over or lost the lawsuit for copy write infringements. Now I'm not certain here but the 'blue' colored program is shareware for a cost, a few other stipulations such as timed and toss. Where the older , or red ( which is still updated and working great.

I say this because malwarebytes find turds that others do not , every time.

I had symptoms like that with Time Warner twice. Both times it turned out to be signal integrity issues with their hardware out at a box near the street. Once the signal level was too high. Another time it was too low. On their first trip they'll check the level and integrity of the signal inside your house - going into the modem. Time Warner can test signal levels remotely and identify one that is bad. Comcast can probably do that too. But if it's intermittent, it might not show as out of range during your phone call. One of the times mine failed only when the temperature outside got below 40 F. Insist that they come out and check your modem input. They have sophisticated enough equipment to figure out if the problem is the signal or the modem. If it's other hardware inside the house though they won't help on that. They're responsive to people with troubles, you may have to contact them more than once if they can't detect a problem remotely. Since you can explain all you've tried and they know your problem is real, they may schedule an appointment on the first call.

Hey Shawn,

So your Droid doesn't have any of those pauses that you experience on your desktop computer? Was the streaming issue on your computer or were you using a console?

If you have access to another computer, a friends laptop for instance, it can aid in troubleshooting the issue. First, make sure that the computer you're using is reliable and fast. Connect it the same way that the desktop is being connected and test it. It sounds like you've troubleshooted the rest of the equipment the right way... you eliminated extra variables like the router and swapped cables and your modem. It's most likely the adapter or something software related in the OS. Especially since the droid isn't showing the same pauses.

If you can't get your hands on another computer (or after you test on another computer and find improved connection) another thing you can do is buy a cheap (or a nice one if you think you might want to keep it) USB CAT-5 or wireless adapter (or PCI / PCIe... sounds like you're comfortable inside your computer). Make sure you buy it from a store that has a good return policy because you may or may not want to keep it afterwords, depending on the outcome. ... if you still have the same issue with a different adapter on the same computer then it may be something software related, again... trying another computer, hooked up the same way as your computer will prove that it's an isolated issue and not an issue with your provider, modem, router or cables.

... Let me put it this way... even if they cut your speeds... you shouldn't have pauses like that when you test. That's a major indication that there's a problem.

I knew if I could count on anyone, it would be here.

I have a spare pci network card at my in laws and a wireless adapter as well. I just need to get over there and get one of them.

The Droid doesn't have those hanging problems. It was a good, solid test each time.

The buffering on Netflix was running on the Xbox.

I'm going to try the adapter first and see where that gets me.

If there's no change I'll have my friend bring his new laptop over. (I'd do that

first but its almost an hour drive.)

Thank you all for your help. I will, of course, post any and all updates as I work my way through.

Shawn O. Cape Coral, FL.

Well, just got home with my pci adapter.

Got it fired up and definitely an improvement.

Im still not at 30+ down but Im clocking 19+ consistently with no hanging, skipping etc.

It may be the new modem/router combo unit.

I dont care what anyone says, there are huge performance gaps in Comcasts rental equipment.

The first modem I had when I moved in here a few years ago I was 12mbps consistently. It died and I got a different model. The brand is Ubee dont know model. Thats when I went from 12mbps that morning to 33mbps an hour later with the new modem. THAT one broke (my kids' fault) and they gave me a different model made by whoever.

I went from 33mbps at 2pm to 14mbps at 4pm with the new one.

I told them that one didnt work (lol) and they gave me another Ubee like I had. Back to 33mbps that afternoon again.

So now with this new combo unit, from experience, Id say thats what the issue is as far as speed.

Again, I dont pay for the 30mbps package so Im not going to pursue it on their end.

Im getting solid tests with no skipping and the numbers are over 19mbps, so Im happy.

There is a great community here and its actually been a pleasure dealing with this particular tech related issue.

Thank you again CA3LE, Pgoodwin1, mudmanc4 and tdawnaz.

If I have any changes that you good people should know about, I will definitely be back to cry for help again.

:icon_salut: Shawn O. Cape Coral, FL.