Comcast slowness

Pieter Huiberts

I have Comcast Blast which gives pretty fast internet and I seem to be able to get some. What I found though is that in the evening the speed drops. I wouldn't have noticed,if it wasn't for the youtube streaming to the TV. We have movies that oneday run perfectly, the next stutter.

Doing some testing on this site as well, I find that staying local to Was DC, I have fast internet, but getting out a little and speed drops dramatically (talking 50Mbps to 0.5) to Seattle, WA.

Is this normal, I would have thought, I would get atleast 60-70% of what I can get from a site close to home?

Thanks!

P.S. I did talk to Comcast, and they pretended that it was my computer and that I should get new hardware bla bla bla, but that is not it as the movies in question can run just fine on the same TV.

Where are you at? There are a lot of routes on the east coast that are congested right now due to Hurricane / Superstorm Sandy. Routes that may be along the way to your routing to the west coast. Think of it this way, infrastructure gets destroyed... the remaining traffic gets rerouted to the remaining pipes... those pipes then become congested because of all the extra traffic. I've been getting a lot of emails from people since the storm and most of them already suspected the storm had something to do with it. You might fall into that category. This is a reason that TMN is a great way to test your Internet speed. Your being tested outside of your providers network, which puts important factors like your route into the equation. If you simply took Comcast's word for it you might think that it was just the websites you visited... Well, the datacenters I host at are running business as usual. And trust me, I host purposely in popular net hubs... So if your speed is effected here... other sites you visit will be effected as well, as you said, you can feel that your speed isn't right.

They'll try to blame it on you... They'll try to blame it on me... They'll try to blame it on the sites you visit. But most likely, your hitting a bottleneck along the way that's probably caused by too many people having to be forced down a pipeline that can't handle that much traffic. Just know that according to all the consumer feedback flooding my inbox since the disaster... you're not alone. Comcast however is most likely still delivering on their promise... But the pipes along the route, some of them being peers of Comcast, aren't. But A LOT was destroyed. If that's the case, it's beyond their control until infrastructure is repaired.

I am located in the Washington, DC area where Comcast has a monopoly, unfortunately. Thanks for you reply and I understand that Sandy did a number of many infrastructure pieces, but the problems were not sharply tied to the storm as they persisted before. I just downgraded my service from Comcast Blast to Performance. I doubt my household is going to notice it, which means I can spend $10 per month on something else.

What has been an interesting observation is that Dutch Youtube Sesamestreet videos tend to run better and more reliable.

Sorry to be a spammer here, but your statement is hilarious

What are you watching Dutch sesame street for ? No , nevermind, I'll leave that one alone ( I did see your child in your pic, just smiling and saying hi ):)Welcome to testmy.net

What has been an interesting observation is that Dutch Youtube Sesamestreet videos tend to run better and more reliable.

@CA3LE

LOL man you use binary for your location now also :/ I feel so unoriginal D:

You're the first person to get that. You just earned yourself a Sophist title. Including yourself only 26 people have earned that title.

... I've actually never seen anyone else do that. When I put that up I did so with the intention on giving the first person who mentioned it a Sophist account. I was going to do it in BASE64 or HEX but I figured that would take too long for anyone to get it.

My Son put it as his location too, but I think I told him... plus he's already a Sophist. :razz:

Sophist - The Greek word sophos, or sophia, has had the meaning "wise" or "wisdom" - Wikipedia Sophist. It's been a title we've had here forever and it's rare that it's handed out to anyone. It's more of a title than extra permissions. But it does give your account a few extra abilities... more maximum private messages, more attachments per post... and a bunch of other little extra stuff. It makes you look cooler too. :evil6:

:occasion14:

Here's a list of the others that have earned this in one way or another.

post-2-0-58177700-1354789142_thumb.png

You're the first person to get that. You just earned yourself a Sophist title. Including yourself only 26 people have earned that title.

... I've actually never seen anyone else do that. When I put that up I did so with the intention on giving the first person who mentioned it a Sophist account. I was going to do it in BASE64 or HEX but I figured that would take too long for anyone to get it.

My Son put it as his location too, but I think I told him... plus he's already a Sophist. :razz:

Sophist - The Greek word sophos, or sophia, has had the meaning "wise" or "wisdom" - Wikipedia Sophist. It's been a title we've had here forever and it's rare that it's handed out to anyone. It's more of a title than extra permissions. But it does give your account a few extra abilities... more maximum private messages, more attachments per post... and a bunch of other little extra stuff. It makes you look cooler too. :evil6:

:occasion14:

Here's a list of the others that have earned this in one way or another.

post-2-0-58177700-1354789142_thumb.png

lol awesome man

I wanted to put it in hex then put it through binary but lol

no one ever gets it and I always have to explain

Thanks for the title though man, much appreciated :)

congrats :)

lol thanks!

Edited by ybnrmalatall