What Company says I will get

ybnrmalatall

Okay so Charter Communications (Cable internet provider) is saying I should be getting 30mb/s down and at least 3mb/s up. I am currently getting (provided by testmy's test) 19mb/s-20mb/s down. Should I call them out on this or is the 3 second boost or whatever it is that says I have higher or is that their way of validation and do you think they will comply or call my (bs)?

Just a question :)

If this is in the wrong section sorry

Edited by ybnrmalatall

While I am NO expert on this matter, Let me offer you my 2 cents. Cable Internet has been over selling for a long time. You share your connection with other users, How many I am not sure.

There is only so much bandwidth you and your fellow users can have. They keep upping the speeds without the ability or the actual bandwidth to allow everyone on that same connection to have that much speed.

Kinda like the auto bon in Germany. Sure everyone can go as fast as they want. Problem is, So many people are on that road, its impossible to go as fast as you want.

If 30Mbps is the boost your supposed to be getting then no you wouldn't see that on the test because the tests are setup to run a bit longer then that lasts to get a stable real world reading of your connection if you want to test and see it you can specifically choose a very small download size say 6-12MB and you might see it then

As Ninja states, they all over sell. As I've stated elsewhere in TestMy, all of them do it so they've collectively used overstated specs on their speeds. They're not afraid of getting sued, because it has become the norm, and on their instruments, that's what you get, regardless of the reality of it. I typically get only about 80% (8Mbps as measured here) of what they tell me I'm supposed to be getting for download speed (10 Mbps min), and only about 1/3 what their speed measuring tools show (>20Mbps).

If 30Mbps is the boost your supposed to be getting then no you wouldn't see that on the test because the tests are setup to run a bit longer then that lasts to get a stable real world reading of your connection if you want to test and see it you can specifically choose a very small download size say 6-12MB and you might see it then

Right on, I knew about the test thing

I think it is kinda bullshit that they would go boost over stability

Anyway its fine I just wondered :)

@Thread

Thanks guys