been interested in other OS lately

starship_troopers

while i still want a solid pc for general purposes, i have actually been looking into linux distros for full time use, and of course learning about Mac OSx mountain lion.

any suggestions without spending a ton of money on a mac? where is a good place to find a good deal, etc.

also what linux distros besides mandriva, kubuntu, ubuntu, or whatever is the personal preference. i am not looking into ubuntu, but am still just researching.

Ubuntu is great because there's a lot of support for it. Ubuntu will go down in history as the Linux district that made people take notice.

But do you have a budget? If you do, you could get an old MacBook or Mac mini for a couple hundred bucks. Add a solid state drive and more memory later and even an old one will be contenders with some of the latest PC's. OSX is a great OS.

• 2 weeks later...

would like a fairly new macbook pro, but as far as retail, i couldnt afford that if i gave my arm and leg...defnitely looking into mac since im gonna be getting an hd pvr and mac would be way easier to do the audio and video work on.

and linux, yeah i like ubuntu, i've played with it since i had an old pizza box dell. im just looking for something kinda crazy to play with and get used to more command style stuff.

Honestly depending on what you plan to do with it makes all the difference.

If your really wanting to check out linux, imo debian is what you need. Then again , if your going to be playing songs and do email -- avg user stuffs, then yea ubuntu. Yet debian is grown on me for an all around , well everything operating system.

Hell you can set up easily a debian system, use it for your desktop, as well as run various server resources for your local network, even allow external access to some aspects, the key is easily here -- on the same machine. Sure this can be done with other systems, but you'll find yourself searching for answers more if you go with another distro.

Mac, yup massive production platform, although it does go against my core beliefs , all should be free, not the hardware by any means. Apple took a good thing and built a nice stable system and iced it with a pretty GUI to make the ,planets most popular platform for serious powerusers. Although you can accomplish the same things on any unix based OS , for the most part.

Honestly depending on what you plan to do with it makes all the difference.

If your really wanting to check out linux, imo debian is what you need. Then again , if your going to be playing songs and do email -- avg user stuffs, then yea ubuntu. Yet debian is grown on me for an all around , well everything operating system.

Hell you can set up easily a debian system, use it for your desktop, as well as run various server resources for your local network, even allow external access to some aspects, the key is easily here -- on the same machine. Sure this can be done with other systems, but you'll find yourself searching for answers more if you go with another distro.

Mac, yup massive production platform, although it does go against my core beliefs , all should be free, not the hardware by any means. Apple took a good thing and built a nice stable system and iced it with a pretty GUI to make the ,planets most popular platform for serious powerusers. Although you can accomplish the same things on any unix based OS , for the most part.

lol yeah

I would full time linux but as a gamer I am stuck

Hopefully steam can get every game on linux (old and new)

they only have a few new ones and then tf2 :P

Looking good as far as linux as a full time os but I will wait a few years :P

im actually trying to find a mac to just use as an everyday, but still looking for deals. im sorry i havent been replying to this thread to thank you guys for the replies, but if im not on very much its because my laptop is at the end of its life and i mean the end is near lol.

still getting a new system but gonna take a little bit longer.

thanks for the help guys, my research is slow as im down to a droid razr on verizon for most of my internet time.

Wait a few years ? Just install it with a boot manager -- use it for everyday 'stuffs' and while gaming goto winturds -- settled

I would dual boot

but I prefer to just use 1 OS due to how much I game

as in I game while I do everyday stuffs

as in alt-tab is my best buddy xD

It would just be an inconvenience

im actually trying to find a mac to just use as an everyday, but still looking for deals. im sorry i havent been replying to this thread to thank you guys for the replies, but if im not on very much its because my laptop is at the end of its life and i mean the end is near lol.

still getting a new system but gonna take a little bit longer.

thanks for the help guys, my research is slow as im down to a droid razr on verizon for most of my internet time.

Not to be a pirate

I would have a custom laptop build for you and "get" mac os ;)

Then dual boot

Edited by ybnrmalatall