Upload Speed

Swizzle1

Hello existing members! 

question I'd like to to gain some insight on: on a 15Mb Down/1.5Mb Up connection provided by the only cable company here in Lake Havasu - Suddenlink - our uploads are so pathetic?   Here are my combined averages DL is ~ 7% better; UL ~ 20% worse - than advertised:  

arrow-down-doubleM.png Download :: 16.2 Mbps 2 MB/s  arrow-up-doubleM.png Upload :: 1.2 Mbps 145 kB/s.  

What I wonder is why Suddenlink only offers a connection that is slightly better than 50% the National Average.  Anyone got input?

Hey Swizzle, welcome to Testmy.net!

You're right on par with what you're paying for.  80% of the advertised speed is generally thought to be good.

As for them only offering 15/1.5 ... it's because of the market you're in.  Suddenlink actually offers up to 107 Mbps in select markets.  Havasu isn't very big, you've got about 53k residents there.  The cable infrastructure is probably older and that might limit what they're capable of up there (I say up there because I'm down in Phoenix myself).  They'll upgrade it eventually but they're going to be more likely to invest in new infrastructure first in markets where they have more customers.  In a smaller, less profitable market, they're likely to do the upgrades over a long period of time in sections.  As areas are upgraded they may start offering faster speeds to select neighborhoods before it's available to everyone in Havasu.

You're paying for 15/1.5 and getting 16/1.2 ... I don't think you're in bad shape at all.  In my experience dealing with Suddenlink's customers... generally they are all very happy.  Many get more than they pay for and some have incredible speeds that make me jealous.  They seem to be a good provider.  But their hands can be tied behind their back if the technology in an area isn't up-to-date.

I thought Comcast was in Lake Havasu.

CA3LE,

your analysis confirmed my beliefs.  It'll be awhile before Havasu's infrastructure is upgraded.  That said, there isn't anything Suddenlink (or any one) can do.  I'm not sure what areas Comcast services; I know they are on a long list that doesn't service LHC. No option but Suddenlink; unless you go with Frontier and get a 7.0 Mbps DSL connection that costs just as much.  Thanks for the response.  What part of Phoenix?  I spent 10 years in Mesa (82-92) and built pools all over the valley.  Been back a couple of times and am amazed at the continued growth. When I was there both Ahwatukee and Fountain Hills were basically just ideas/dreams of developers.   Thanks again, not only for the reply - also for the great site you maintain.

Swizzle 1

CA3LE,

your analysis confirmed my beliefs.  It'll be awhile before Havasu's infrastructure is upgraded.  That said, there isn't anything Suddenlink (or any one) can do.  I'm not sure what areas Comcast services; I know they are on a long list that doesn't service LHC. No option but Suddenlink; unless you go with Frontier and get a 7.0 Mbps DSL connection that costs just as much.  Thanks for the response.  What part of Phoenix?  I spent 10 years in Mesa (82-92) and built pools all over the valley.  Been back a couple of times and am amazed at the continued growth. When I was there both Ahwatukee and Fountain Hills were basically just ideas/dreams of developers.   Thanks again, not only for the reply - also for the great site you maintain.

Swizzle 1

I was born and raised in North Phoenix.  24th St and Cactus Rd was my neighborhood growing up.  Funny that you mention Awatukee... I live in Awatukee Foothills right now.

Maricopa County is huge.  Pretty much one big city now.  You've got Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Awatukee, El Mirage, Avondale, Peoria, Buckeye, Cave Creek, Fountain Hills, Glendale, Paradise Valley, Goodyear, Glendale, Suprise... and more, I'm sure I missed at least 4 cities... All pretty much one massive city now.  Very little separation and in many cases no separation between borders.  I'm sure after the housing market starts to boom again they will continue to develop more in every direction.  It takes up a huge area too, because we're in the desert we tend to build close to the ground so it's all VERY spread out.  It's been developed so much since I was a kid... I can't imagine how big it will be in 20 years.