Air Cooling Options?

ninjageek

Getting ready to build a new computer. GF is taking my old one. After LOTS of research and thinking, I have decided on my components. The big issue is cooing the cpu.

After looking at some of the options of a after market cpu air coolers, I have yet to find one that I really want to let hang off my mother board. Like this one for example. 

Cooler Master GeminII S524 Cooling Fan/Heatsink

No way do I want something that huge hanging off my motherboard. Does anyone have any viable options??

This is what Im gonna go with.

CM Storm Trooper SGC-5000-KKN1 System Cabinet

650 W Power Supply

AMD FX-8350 4 GHz Processor 

Antec K?HLER H2O 920 Liquid Cooling System 

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz DDR3

ASUS GTX660 TI 

Here is a youtube video of the air cooler I talked about. 

Skip to about the 2 min mark. This thing is HUGE. 

Edited by ninjageek

Thats another big issue with the new Air coolers, Besides the things being so big, you need to worry about it blocking things like ram and whatever. 

IMHO, Think water coolers may be the next part to become almost mandatory. CPU'S are getting faster, and run pretty hot. The one I have now should last the Girl Friend quite awhile. Just need a second one around here that I can upgrade if I have to. 

So I have decided to water cool my new one. My old one it still has 8 gig of ram and fx 6100 and and really nice video card. So she can play her Sims and Face Book games. I can keep it cleaned out, and take care of it. Its way more computer than she will ever need. 

I am SO sick of shopping for parts!!!!  Find what I want, then youtube it, then read some reviews. Esh, Glad I do that, some of the stuff I wanted. NOT a good Idea. 

just get yourself one of corsairs self contained liquid coolers way better performance per cost ratio and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg then you just mount a small radiator somewhere on the case

I was thinking of going with Antec K?HLER H2O 920.  Always respected and trusted your advice. Do you think the Corsairs offers a better more cost efferent option??

Not necessarily I usually shop by reviews over price I have first hand experience with the corsair h50 but antec is a great brand though one I wouldn't hesitate to buy from if the reviews for the product backed it up

I simply meant go with a self contained liquid cooler with a mountable radiator because not only does it work better then your average aftermarket air cooler you will not have to have all that weight on your motherboard and won't have issues with your ram sockets not being usable

Thanks Tri. Man I am SO burned out on shopping for computer parts. Trying to find what I want, at a Price I am willing to pay. Then reading reviews, checking youtube, bla bla bla. Man if it wasn't for the GF wanting her own desktop, I would simply laugh and walk away. 

So she is getting this computer, I am building a new computer, and I HOPE I don't have to go through this again for a very long long time. 

The one odd thing I am gonna do is throw in a small sata drive so I can play with Linux, without dealing with partitions. Make a nice back up in case the Solid State drive I am gonna use for windows would happen to die. 

Yea, I am for sure gonna go with a self contained Liquid cooling system. Have for sure decided on the AMD 8350. Will put in the same mother board as this one has which is the saber tooth 990fx.

I have also decided to go with a Full Size case this time, last build was a mid tower. LOVE this case. So will get it. 

I like the case, always a fan of modular components.

Triran you make a great point about the weight of a large heatsink /fan unit.

The two features that really sold me on this case, besides the fact  have same brand mid tower, Was the handle to carry it, and the filters on both top and bottom  that can be removed and cleaned. 

The two features that really sold me on this case, besides the fact  have same brand mid tower, Was the handle to carry it, and the filters on both top and bottom  that can be removed and cleaned. 

i have a mid tower with top bottom front side and rear filters and its completely modular it has the hotswap drive rack and tool-less installation for just about everything

i ended up going with a Gigabyte 990FX motherboard and by the way solid state drives are far more reliable then standard disk drives i haven't had an issue with mine yet just make sure it has good reviews

• 1 month later...
Guest misheal01

Hi buddy,  i have a mid tower with top bottom front side and rear filters and its
completely modular it has the hotswap drive rack and tool-less
installation for just about everything. Thanks :azn:

• 3 weeks later...