Cant find a thread i want......

ninjageek

While its been some time ago. I wanna say TriRyan walked me through and taught me how to overclock my AMD fx6100.

With my new build on the way, and loosing the information I had about overclocking that amd, I would kinda like to find it again.

I will be using the same motherboard I had with the fx6100, Pretty much the same set up he helped me with. Thought it might be fun to see how far I can push my new chip. 

Can someone help me find it, Ive looked, No luck. Yes I know. Im a dork and someone will go right to it. 

Oh, if you wanna know what I went with........Well here ya go. Yes, I know, Overkill with the ram, I thought I got 8 gig, o well, Its paid for so why not. 

Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

Coolmaster 700 watt power supply

AMD Fx 8350 4 GHz  8 Core Processor

16 Gigs of Corsair Vengence Ram 1600 Megahertz. 

Antec Kohler 920 Liquid Cooling System

Asus GTX660Ti Video card

120Gb Intel Solid State Drive

250 GB Sata Hard drive (for lynix)

2 Segate 1tb Sata hard drives.

Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

Storm Trooper SGC-5000-KKN1 Full Tower Case.
Edited by ninjageek

Thank you so very much sir. So what do you think Man. Think I can get the 8350 up to 5 Ghz?? Week or Two, I am gonna See how far I can push it. Just like the last one, Probably won't leave it there, but be fun to see how far I can push it. 

Sorry for the double post, Wont let me edit my old one?? I am in the middle of a flame war with a few on another website, I need to know, Will the Latest FX 835O fit and work in the older AMD3 Motherboards? Or is the FX8350 a different socket set??

Yes I know, flaming and arguing on the internet is pointless, Just FAN BOYS of either AMD or INTEL tend to drive me crazy. Myself, I want the best value for the dollar, I could care less If it says INTEL or AMD or whatever.  Someone using benchmarks to prove a point drives me crazy. 

I don't want benchmarks, I want real world proof. When someone shot off the whole Intel Is SUCH a better gaming chip, I snapped. No its not. So that kinda started the flame war, and its ongoing. Now I am laying the smack down on em how AMD offers a better long term value IMHO, and How Intel is changing there socket set way to much. 

i believe the AM3+ socket type has an extra pin 943 pins vs the AM3 socket 942 pins so from what i'm reading you need an AM3+ compatible motherboard to use it... your old bulldozer cpu should have been AM3+ though so your new CPU should work on the same motherboard especially the more modern revisions of it and after reading the manufacturer's website it shows the motherboard you have picked out does indeed support the newer AM3+ chips

so a small breakdown

AM3+ cpu's will only work on AM3+ motherboards

the newer AM3+ motherboards are backwards compatible for the older AM3 chips

the newer AM3+ chips will NOT work on an older AM3 motherboard

and yeah you should be able to hit 5GHz pretty easily i'd think... thats probably what i'll be overclocking to after all i've got my phenom II 955 running at a stable 4.1GHz now so why not?

~ Mark

Ok, I never noticed the AM3+. I simply missed the Plus sign. It does appear the fx8350 would fit into the current sabertooth 990 fx mother board I have the FX 6100 in. 

The build thats on the way has the sabertooth 990fx r2.0. I thought I needed that one for the New FX 8350. Enough to give you a head ace just thinking about. 

AMD does to a decent job of trying to keep there socket set the same. Has been the same since I believe 2009.

Always a good Idea when replacing the cpu is double check it will fit in your motherboard. 

Something that REALLY is confusing me on the subject is this. Looking at this amazon page,

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fx+8350

You will Notice, The AMD Fx 8350 is AM3  no plus sign.

The AMD Fx 8150 is AM3+  It has the Plus sign. 

Is this simply a Mistake on Amazon's part??  Am I making sense??  

So thte FX 8150 has one more pin than the fx 8350.

Ok, I never noticed the AM3+. I simply missed the Plus sign. It does appear the fx8350 would fit into the current sabertooth 990 fx mother board I have the FX 6100 in. 

The build thats on the way has the sabertooth 990fx r2.0. I thought I needed that one for the New FX 8350. Enough to give you a head ace just thinking about. 

AMD does to a decent job of trying to keep there socket set the same. Has been the same since I believe 2009.

Always a good Idea when replacing the cpu is double check it will fit in your motherboard. 

Something that REALLY is confusing me on the subject is this. Looking at this amazon page,

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fx+8350

You will Notice, The AMD Fx 8350 is AM3  no plus sign.

The AMD Fx 8150 is AM3+  It has the Plus sign. 

Is this simply a Mistake on Amazon's part??  Am I making sense??  

So thte FX 8150 has one more pin than the fx 8350.

its a typo on amazon's part i can assure you the 8350 is AM3+ 

Stick a fork in me i am DONE!!! LOL. Im am geeked out. Two weeks or more of research on this new build, Hours spent getting this computer ready for the Girlfriend, Backing everything up, Flaming Fan Boys of Both Intel and Amd on a different forum, Finding video to back up all my claims the both Intel and AMD are great chips and offer NO noticeable real world usage difference. Yes the AMD can game just as well as the Intel. Sick of seeing and hearing about pointless Benchmarks and Fan Boy articles. I am ready for a break. 

Now in a couple of days time to spend HOURS setting up the new build, Installing Windows 7 and TONS of updates and reboots,  getting it just the way I want it,Backing it up, Then its time for a long vacation from my geek side. In time, Yea will overclock my AMD, Won't leave it there, but just wanna see how far I can get it to go. That is gonna be sometime down the road. 

Nice thing is the girlfriend complains about her computer, No problem, Will restore it just the way I gave it to her, and she can try again, Also nice to have Windows 7.  I remember all the hours spent fixing and dealing with Windows XP. Now I just tell people, Install windows 7. End of most your problems. 

Yes, like the overclocking SOMETIME down the road, Will put linux on my new machine, I have a hard drive in my new build just for that purpose. 

So for now, I am DONE with the geek stuff. Once the new computer is set up, I dont wanna look at another youtube video or review of computer parts for a very long time. I am done debating and calling out the fan boys. I wanna sit back, enjoy my new computer, Play some games, watch some "art films" lol. Then in time overclock it, and tear into linux. Thanks for the help. Appreciate everything. Sorry for the rant, just needed to unload. You all have a nice day. 

One last after thought. The girlfriend did notice all the work, frustration of this new build, the countless hours spend so she can have my computer, Well she did give me a NICE thank you. So after spending some great quality time with her, and a nice nap, the hassle is worth it. Building a new computer, oh yea, nice, fun, expensive, Hope I dont have to do this again for a VERY long time. Esh..........

I honestly dont know how guys that do this for a living, or run websites like this keep from loosing there mind. Maybe I am just getting to old. No idea. 

Edited by ninjageek

Stick a fork in me i am DONE!!! LOL. Im am geeked out. Two weeks or more of research on this new build, Hours spent getting this computer ready for the Girlfriend, Backing everything up, Flaming Fan Boys of Both Intel and Amd on a different forum, Finding video to back up all my claims the both Intel and AMD are great chips and offer NO noticeable real world usage difference. Yes the AMD can game just as well as the Intel. Sick of seeing and hearing about pointless Benchmarks and Fan Boy articles. I am ready for a break. 

Now in a couple of days time to spend HOURS setting up the new build, Installing Windows 7 and TONS of updates and reboots,  getting it just the way I want it,Backing it up, Then its time for a long vacation from my geek side. In time, Yea will overclock my AMD, Won't leave it there, but just wanna see how far I can get it to go. That is gonna be sometime down the road. 

Nice thing is the girlfriend complains about her computer, No problem, Will restore it just the way I gave it to her, and she can try again, Also nice to have Windows 7.  I remember all the hours spent fixing and dealing with Windows XP. Now I just tell people, Install windows 7. End of most your problems. 

Yes, like the overclocking SOMETIME down the road, Will put linux on my new machine, I have a hard drive in my new build just for that purpose. 

So for now, I am DONE with the geek stuff. Once the new computer is set up, I dont wanna look at another youtube video or review of computer parts for a very long time. I am done debating and calling out the fan boys. I wanna sit back, enjoy my new computer, Play some games, watch some "art films" lol. Then in time overclock it, and tear into linux. Thanks for the help. Appreciate everything. Sorry for the rant, just needed to unload. You all have a nice day. 

One last after thought. The girlfriend did notice all the work, frustration of this new build, the countless hours spend so she can have my computer, Well she did give me a NICE thank you. So after spending some great quality time with her, and a nice nap, the hassle is worth it. Building a new computer, oh yea, nice, fun, expensive, Hope I dont have to do this again for a VERY long time. Esh..........

I honestly dont know how guys that do this for a living, or run websites like this keep from loosing there mind. Maybe I am just getting to old. No idea. 

we're just hardcore geeks who have no hope :P

Oh TriRyan, I to was once like you. Geeked out 24/7. Loved looking at new computer parts. Loved working on computers, XP was great for my geekness. While I did complain lots, LOVED working on it. Fixing it, figuring out the problems. Building the next new computer was GREAT!!  

Keeping up with all the changes was so much fun. I used to tell the Girl Friend if only we could spend some quality time alone in a computer parts store, I would forever give up teasing her bout bringing her best girl friend by to say hello!

Believe what you want sir, but as you get older, you find it more of a hassle. Sooner or later, Your brain will say enough of this geek stuff. I am talking about us guys that don't do it for living, but do it as a hobby. 

You soon learn, that its just a cycle of silliness, spending all that time and thoughts on the new changes coming. Only to realize in a year or so, that work becomes pointless because new changes are on the way. Kinda like swimming up stream. Just when you think your gaining ground, the current pushes you back to the same spot. I blame Old age. 

I also blame the slow death of the desktop PC. Lets face it, More and More people are moving away from desktops, While there will always be us die hard PC users, we are a dying breed. Everyone wants portability, They want the Ipads, the Iphones, Who carries a laptop any more??  Maybe people are right for a change. The desktop may die soon. Sales are horrid, Everyone wants a Ipad. Think we are seeing the same changes that Music did when it went from Cassette To CD.  Time will tell.  

Edited by ninjageek

Platters to 8 tracks to cassette .........  :toothy6:

You still enjoy it, just not as big a rush as it used to be. More things get higher importance as you get older. Kids and what they are into, whats for lunch, where you gonna vacation this year, etc .......... 

My big passion was engines and old cars ......... still is but not the only thing in my blood anymore is all. :read:

So I am still waiting on delivery of my new computer. Be here shortly. So while posting on a couple of other websites, the one thing I have learned besides lots of mis information, Is the same old tired benchmark arguments. 

Its no wonder INTEL has such a large market share. If I were a new computer builder, and really not to much into the geek and research stuff, I would build a INTEL system. WOW!!

So I am still waiting on delivery of my new computer. Be here shortly. So while posting on a couple of other websites, the one thing I have learned besides lots of mis information, Is the same old tired benchmark arguments. 

Its no wonder INTEL has such a large market share. If I were a new computer builder, and really not to much into the geek and research stuff, I would build a INTEL system. WOW!!

you would also pay an extra $300 or so dollars 

Always been an AMD fan, simply because AMD was the first proc I had my hands on that allowed me to clock the piss out of it , in present day anyhow. ( last 15 + years. )

I remember scratching a pencil line across two points on it to make that connection between a 3000+ and a 3200+ DOH!

I have become a fan of the guy that does this video I posted below. In fact its the same video I use when I see INTEL is a better gaming chip. He seems to have the same attitude I do about computers. Real world results so people can make a better informed decision. None of this INTEL or AMD is a better or Worse chip. 

If you get the chance, Watch some of his videos, good stuff. Not just reviews, but geekish type news as well. 

Myself, when building a computer, I consider long term value. Yes its a gamble. So I go all out on my motherboard, I do the same with my case. I don't cut corners. I get that case that offers the features I want, something that offers lots of room to upgrade. 

Same with motherboard. I want the one that will let me upgrade my CPU without changing the motherboard. Then I research. Youtube tec videos, Forums, even amazon reviews. Because IMHO, If I am gonna drop close to 2 grand into a tower, It better last me a LONG time. 

i believe the AM3+ socket type has an extra pin 943 pins vs the AM3 socket 942 pins so from what i'm reading you need an AM3+ compatible motherboard to use it... your old bulldozer cpu should have been AM3+ though so your new CPU should work on the same motherboard especially the more modern revisions of it and after reading the manufacturer's website it shows the motherboard you have picked out does indeed support the newer AM3+ chips

so a small breakdown

AM3+ cpu's will only work on AM3+ motherboards

the newer AM3+ motherboards are backwards compatible for the older AM3 chips

the newer AM3+ chips will NOT work on an older AM3 motherboard

and yeah you should be able to hit 5GHz pretty easily i'd think... thats probably what i'll be overclocking to after all i've got my phenom II 955 running at a stable 4.1GHz now so why not?

~ Mark

Sir, I think you MAY be mistaken. From what I am seeing,The AM3+ processor will fit into the AM3 motherboard. You will however need a bios update to better utilize the AM3+ processor. 

Saw a few posts of people claiming the AM3+ fit into the AM3 socket and all they needed was a bios update. Are they full of hot air??

I want to say Im sorry TRiRan, I think I was asking my question wrong. I just find this subject kind interesting. If I am understanding the information I am seeing. AMD socket set has extra pin holes, I am guessing for possible future upgrades. 

I do understand that its always best to put a AM3+ in a AM3+ motherboard. Just saw someone ask the same question as I have asked. Will the AM3+ FIT into a AM3 motherboard. Not saying its the best idea, Just will it fit??

Seen a few Claim to have put a AM3 into a AM2 Motherboard. I just always assumed the socket set on the motherboard has the exact amount of pin holes for the processor it was made for. 

So if the CPU has 932 pins, thats all the pin holes the Motherboard has on it. Make sense??

I want to say Im sorry TRiRan, I think I was asking my question wrong. I just find this subject kind interesting. If I am understanding the information I am seeing. AMD socket set has extra pin holes, I am guessing for possible future upgrades. 

I do understand that its always best to put a AM3+ in a AM3+ motherboard. Just saw someone ask the same question as I have asked. Will the AM3+ FIT into a AM3 motherboard. Not saying its the best idea, Just will it fit??

Seen a few Claim to have put a AM3 into a AM2 Motherboard. I just always assumed the socket set on the motherboard has the exact amount of pin holes for the processor it was made for. 

So if the CPU has 932 pins, thats all the pin holes the Motherboard has on it. Make sense??

from the reading i did last night it looks like it will fit however if it were me i'd make sure there were bios upgrades available first because not all motherboards that are AM3 will have an update produced to support AM3+

and you can put an AM3 cpu into an AM2+/AM2 motherboard because the AM3 CPU has a DDR2 controller, on a side note i believe most AM3 CPU's require 95 or more watts so the AM2 motherboard would need to be able to provide enough power

i don't believe AM3+ will work on an AM2+/AM2 motherboard though i remember reading there is no backwards compatibility with DDR2 memory on the AM3+ cpu