CLI Capable Tests

There should be some sort of static URL we can use to download a large file to do a speed-test from a command line, such as Ubuntu server.

For example, we should be able to use wget and go to a static file on whatever test server we prefer.

(I.e.: dallas.testmy.net/static?size=5 which would download a 5MB file)

Thanks,

EBrown

There should be some sort of static URL we can use to download a large file to do a speed-test from a command line, such as Ubuntu server.

For example, we should be able to use wget and go to a static file on whatever test server we prefer.

(I.e.: dallas.testmy.net/static?size=5 which would download a 5MB file)

Thanks,

EBrown

i've suggested this to C@BLE in the past and it is something that i'm very interested in aswell

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Another year passes. Testmy.net passes by as a gleam. In the eyes of the viewer it appears to be nothing more than a magical site providing speed test information. But deep within the depths greater things were happening. Another time ago things would have been nicer, but now they have long been lost.

Just reminding you I still would love this feature.

Thanks,

EBrown

Another year passes. Testmy.net passes by as a gleam. In the eyes of the viewer it appears to be nothing more than a magical site providing speed test information. But deep within the depths greater things were happening. Another time ago things would have been nicer, but now they have long been lost.

Just reminding you I still would love this feature.

Thanks,

EBrown

Little harsh there bud?

Little harsh there bud?

Not really, not when

I'll put something together for you...

and

I'm about to start another 3 month programming session. I'll really try to make it a point to get to this. I want it too. :wink:

Both happened. Both of them being well over a year ago.

It would be nice if there were any update, such as "oh sorry, this feature won't happen." Rather than nothing.

Thanks,

EBrown

You act like I owe you something.

Sorry that I've focused on building something everyone can use instead of a command line test that only techies can use. 

Did you forget that I'm one person over here?  Programming aside I have 10 other full time jobs that I do to run this site.  Any one of those areas could consume all of my time if I allowed it to.  I have to prioritize my time, CLI tests are not a high priority.  I can think of 100 things I could work on that would be beneficial to more people.

It's great for you to come back and remind me but the way you've done it is rude.  Bro, I work CONSTANTLY, even when my fingers are off the keys.  If I could get an extra 100 hours a day it wouldn't be enough to do all that I want.  

Besides, you can wget /dl-(1-200)MB from any of the servers.  Not a real CLI test but it does work for testing download speed.

Besides, you can wget /dl-(1-200)MB from any of the servers.  Not a real CLI test but it does work for testing download speed.

That was literally all I wanted...lol Literally a file, string, stream, series of data bytes that I can download and measure time with. (Especially for devices that have no Javascript/HTML support.)

Edit: I don't think you "owe" me anything, all I would have liked is an update at some point when I refreshed the topic saying, "Oh, sorry, this is at the bottom of the list right now." Rather than waiting and hoping that it would one day show up. That's it. Not "I'll put something together for you... " in Feb 2013, then Dec 2013 "I'm about to start another 3 month programming session. I'll really try to make it a point to get to this. I want it too. ;)" and still nothing has happened. Hell, had 4 Jan 2015 come and had "this won't happen for a while" occurred, then it would have seen the end of my push for it.

Thanks,

EBrown

Sorry I didn't follow up on it with you.  But I did keep it in mind and shortly after you posted this topic I opened up wget (which I was purposely blocking).

It can be hard for me to update every topic and reply to every email I get.  I try but if I spent too much time getting back with people... I wouldn't have time to do everything else.  Sometimes I lose track of topics but I never forget your suggestions.

Which is fine, all I really want to be able to do with it is test without a GUI, via WGET or whatever other command can be used on the respective machine. (I.e. wget on Unix/Linux/OS X, Invoke-WebRequest on Powershell, etc.)

Thanks,

EBrown

• 2 weeks later...