I bet I can tell where you have been on the internet lately.

Swimmer

So... You have deleted the history all of the cookies and even spyware... I can still tell you where you have been on the internet.. Thanks to microsoft who decided that it would be important to give parents and others a way to find out about you activites on the internet even after you "deleted" everything... Well you have not unless you reinstall your os everytime you are finished surfing the net... Wether this is cause you do want people to know where you have been or just for your safety this tip can erase all tracks of you internet adventures... It is called index.dat... I mentioned it in one of my other posts about spyware I think... What this does is make a back up file to every cookie and site that you have visited, I think it does it every day I am not sure though... I know you are all dying to know how to remove this little gem...

1. Restart your computer then hit F8 while it is booting up...

2. Enter Safe Mode with Command Prompt

3. When you get the command prompt type del index.dat /s

this will erase but not kill the file.... It will be regenerated when you boot the next time... :cry:

You can not do this while you are normally in windows because the file is being accessed all of the time..

If you are interested in seeing what is in this file open it with notepad to see the criptic version, great way to see what your employees or friends are up to..., or download this little program..http://www.exits.ro/index-dat-viewer.html This can make it fun just to see what people are up to on the net...

Just though I would share...

this will erase but not kill the file.... It will be regenerated when you boot the next time... :cry:

But it would be empty, until you go surfing the net again. Good to know I can safely delete the file...

Edit: I'm gonna open it with Wordpad and empty it. Let's see what happens :twisted:

Edit: Can't edit it :x Damn you Windows!

• 10 months later...

yeah, good find man...definitely ;-)  i bet some of us can use that when we get raided by the cops hehheh LOL j/k :) but yeah...that file, and 2 more are generated automatically just like that one.....i mean, as far as I know there are 2 more, i might be wrong...although, i have been very successful in removing the file on one of my machines, i have also failed at that couple of times and had to reformat  :oops: but if any of you would like to know on how to remove those certain files, ill do a write up or just PM you

Guest helloimtim

I dont think crap cleaner will clean these files? I used the link and downloaded the file to view these dat files. I ran that cleaner and they were still there unless I have not set up the cleaner right. Its still on default.

CCleaner is a Windows based program, you cannot delete the files while windows is running, therefore...no, CCleaner will not delete the index.dat files.

-REH

well i beg to differ...when you check the index.dat box a screen opens & tells you they will not be deleted till the next boot....my index.dat only has files from today as i run it quite often...anyway it doesn't matter as long as you get rid of them if you desire

well i beg to differ...when you check the index.dat box a screen opens & tells you they will not be deleted till the next boot....my index.dat only has files from today as i run it quite often...anyway it doesn't matter as long as you get rid of them if you desire

Which means that it does not delete them while windows is running, it waits until it gets the chance before windows is loaded, it uses the same technique as described above.

-REH

So...  You have deleted the history all of the cookies and even spyware...  I can still tell you where you have been on the internet..  Thanks to microsoft who decided that it would be important to give parents and others a way to find out about you activites on the internet even after you "deleted" everything...  Well you have not unless you reinstall your os everytime you are finished surfing the net...  Wether this is cause you do want people to know where you have been or just for your safety this tip can erase all tracks of you internet adventures...  It is called index.dat... I mentioned it in one of my other posts about spyware I think... What this does is make a back up file to every cookie and site that you have visited, I think it does it every day I am not sure though...  I know you are all dying to know how to remove this little gem...

1. Restart your computer then hit F8 while it is booting up...

2. Enter Safe Mode with Command Prompt

3. When you get the command prompt type del index.dat /s

You can not do this while you are normally in windows because the file is being accessed all of the time..

If you are interested in seeing what is in this file open it with notepad to see the criptic version, great way to see what your employees or friends are up to..., or download this little program..http://www.exits.ro/index-dat-viewer.html  This can make it fun just to see what people are up to on the net...

Just though I would share...

Good stuff man. :D