Weird speeds here

NismoHero

I have done a speed test here and Im getting everytime 8 down and 8 up at the texas site. Dc site im getting 4 down and 4 up. I live in VA.  I am paying for 50 down and 25 up Verizon Fios.  When i download from steam or other sites im getting the full speeds.  When using a download manager Im getting more than full speeds.  When I upload to my cloud service im getting more than enough upload speeds im advertised.  I dont know why this site is telling me im getting bad speeds? I have tried every other speed test site and they all come back very good give or take.  Can someone help me please and explain this because its troubling me.   

On the TestMy Home page, read all of the info on the tabs (mid page) marked: Internet Speed Test, Information, What Males TMN Different, and Speed Test Principals.

In short, all,of the test tools that you've likely used to date are inaccurate. The ISPs use them because they have been fine tuned to show the ISP performance to be some high number, even when the real performance is much less than those tools show. If you want to know what your real world up/sown speeds are in a much more representative environment, TMN is what you should use.

Your speeds however are significantly lower than than what their plan limits are advertised to be indicating to me that you may have a problem. My history with Time Warner in the past has been that I register download speeds here that were 1/3 to 1/2 or so of the speeds registered on their speed measuring tools. Upload speeds historically were about 80% of what their tools showed. Lately, since they upgraded their service, I'm showing right at their "guaranteed" download on average. Upload speeds still 80%. Also historically, their tools showed me to be getting 2 to 2.5 times their "guaranteed" speeds. I don't know how the ISPs get away with the use of these tools. It would seem a class action suit should be filed, but since virtually all the ISPs use the ookla Flash based tools or something similar, the suit would be suing the world, and would likely be hard to get any significant damages, so nobody sues.

The fact that your download speed though is only 1/6 of your 50 Mbps plan claim, it seems like there's some sort of problem. Can you hardwire right to your cable modem and tell us what you get?

There are times though when I consistently get about 1/2 Time Warner's 15 Mbps "guaranteed" min. Normally this occurs during the day, and often later at night, speeds are up again.

I would have to get a techician to come to my home and open up the fios ont to connect directly to the computer.  I just tried to run the speed test on explorer 32 bit and explorer 64 bit and im getting 11 down and 7 up.  When i use waterfox a 64bit variant of firefox im getting 8 down and 8 up.  I want to contact verizon and have them send someone to see if there is a problem but I bet they are going to charge me 100 bucks for the visit.  Like I said before Im not having any real world speed problems with my speeds anywhere else, just here. Another thing I will be using my Ps3, my computer and my parents computer.  They all use up my full bandwidth and I have no lag from either one of them.  I am going to try to find an internet optimizer and see the results after that. 

Update: I just ran a test on my parents computer and they have a really old computer than mines and they are getting 32 down and 13 up, i used firefox 32bit.  I guess its my computer then.  Any suggestions about optimizing my computer?

Update: I just did a speed test on my ps3 and Im getting the same 8 down and 8 up.  same as my computer.  My parents computer is getting the good speeds as stated above.  What the heck is going on? Its just my personal things having bad speeds.  I also have static ips on my my mahcines while theirs is dhcp.

We are all connected wired ethernet, ps3 is wired too.  All gigabit nic cards.  I just did another test to the dc server and the texas alternate server and now I have 20 down and 20 up. The Main texas server in still getting 8 down and 8 up.  I just got my service pushed up to 50 down and 25 up just yesterday from 20 down and 5 up.  Do you think I need to get my Ip released and get a new one?  

That could definitely be also give the modem a good reset unplug it for about 30 seconds maybe it hasn't been provisioned correctly also are all your pcs set to the correct mtu? I'm assuming 1500 for fiber? Anyone wanna correct me?

Well I have muked around with so much things that I finally fixed it.  I went and seatched internet optimzers and finally came across one that worked.  I had went to Speedguide.net and got their tcp optimizer. I ran the stand alone program and it had my current settings brought up.  It had my download speed capped at 20mpbs.  No wonder I was only getting those speeds on here.  I changed the speed up to 50mpbs and now I am getting full speeds at the washington dc server.  Wow thanks for the suggestions  guys.  If anyone has a similar problem like me direct them to https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php.