OS X Results acting like Qos controls in effect, but not

mindcue

I'm pleased to finally deal with the vnc issue of 10.7 - it's rippin me an new one here. As I've always used one machine to admin everything , my plan is to get this (a) secondary osx box up, and use it for a primary workstation. 

This will solve a plethora of issues I've been dealing with , such as the restriction of two monitors, with a different box I can easily utilize four monitors, two vnc off the MBP and the other two off the secondary (primary) box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So hell fire for change i paid for 10.8.3 through the app-store, burned the DMG -- then thought....... spit on this just do it. So I does it , after XXX amount of time , poof , latest version ( this means 10.9 will be pushed sooner than later)  Yup , so osx server is now brokded, GPG tools are smashed to bits, but i gots the latest huh ? Two things i use daily are toast , duh-me why , just why do I not follow my own advice and read the repercussions of doing something like this ?

That and aside no more secure email, the mail app is been goofy as hell , for instance on posts I don't use one of my sigs in , you just clicky the ' none' from dropdown right and it's gone , nope , no more , must delete it after selecting none. Lets see what else I've destroyed lol  This is one MAIN reason I choose never to do this shit.

In my experience it's not nessisary to reinstall. I've upgraded without reinstall since 2009 without a single issue. Windows is a different story but OSX upgrades very cleanly. Save yourself a headache and just update it bro.

Some software only works with Lion+ so that's a good reason in itself.

mudmanc4: Sorry your updated didn't go smoothly.  I did a lot of research into the programs I most frequently use, and made sure they were compatible... It *is* a kick in the ass missing something.

I wanted to follow up on my original slow internet issue in case it might help someone...

With initial tests all going well, I figured it was a "done deal" and the update fixed things.  However, I started getting similar (and worse) problems under Mountain Lion as I did with Snow Leopard.  WTF... Back to the drawing board.

I did some more troubleshooting tests I probably should have done previously.  Stuff like disconnecting ANY other network device and machine.  Even if they've been happily connected for years without obvious problems.

What I determined was that a single computer running my SageTV 7TB DVR setup on an old machine and WinXP consistently caused the EXTREME slowdowns to internet connectivity while it was working via the network.  Disconnect the machine or stop the activity and internet speeds were fine.  More research pointed not at the SageTV or Windows XP software, but device configuration settings of the network interface on that XP machine.  It was set for "Flow Control".  Disabling this option gave me back the fast internet on a so-far consistent basis regardless of whether that machine is in use or not. 

When people say "flow control can slow your whole network down", they seriously mean it.

I don't know if it's an interaction with a switch, router or whatever, but I believe I've finally found the true cause and will not explore further unless I suffer similar problems in the future.  Note: this also explains the laptop are iphone tests to this site working fast/fine, since those were connected wirelessly, skipping the machine in question.  I had a few odd slowdowns when connecting the laptop in a wired configuration, but mostly it was fine as well--of course I didn't test that way for extensive periods.

Also, it could be related to some internal settings on the hackitosh network interface that may be in conflict, I dunno.  Not an expert in these things.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else out if they have similar problems.  Thanks again for your input.

-Tim