Propigation Delay

servant74

Yep, this is the second cousin to speed in the performance arena.

It would help in measuring differences in good service providers.

Currently I would like to use it to compare satellite ISP's, but when I worked at a data center in Houston, there was one network provider that charged a premium for bandwidth due to it's low latency.  Where others had faster connections for bulk data, low latency is better for small transactions on databases, gaming, etc.

All that said, if there was a way you could add a latency figure to your tests in addition to the bandwidth, that would be fantastic.  Or if I just missed it, please tell me where to RTFM :) .. that would be fine too!

Love your service.  And thanks for keeping it available for us!

I'm not sure how much of the latency you'd measure would be attributable to the ISP if you're going through a lot of different nodes from point A to point B. Unless the ISP offered some more direct high speed pipeline to some servers you would typically communicate with, I don't quite see how they can charge a premium for what they don't control. But I'm in no way an expert on this stuff.

Yep, this is the second cousin to speed in the performance arena.

It would help in measuring differences in good service providers.

Currently I would like to use it to compare satellite ISP's, but when I worked at a data center in Houston, there was one network provider that charged a premium for bandwidth due to it's low latency.  Where others had faster connections for bulk data, low latency is better for small transactions on databases, gaming, etc.

All that said, if there was a way you could add a latency figure to your tests in addition to the bandwidth, that would be fantastic.  Or if I just missed it, please tell me where to RTFM :) .. that would be fine too!

Love your service.  And thanks for keeping it available for us!

I'm working on it.  I've wanted to add ping to the results forever.  Every time I start to program that I get sidetracked into something else.  I'll try to get latency included with the upcoming database upgrade.   ... just like the upload progress bar, it's eluded me... but it's mostly because there are so many aspects to this program, it can be hard to get to everything.  But yes, trust me... I want to add ping to the results.   ;)