Hi All from Mike in the UK

mikej101

Just thought I'd say a big hello from someone in the UK who is looking for a decent broadband speedtest site.

Hope to speak to folks later.

At the moment I'm trying to find out if I can check the download speed of a Satelite connection using the checker on here ? Will it fail because of latency issues ?

Anyone help ?

good evening  Michael ? , or Hi M8 from Biggles UK ,

I am intrigued by a UK Sat connection. v. rare in the UK,

Seen a lot of 56k dialup ,adsl, fibre. Fttc ,Ftth but never Sat ,

that is totally new to me , please post more details ,

But I guess TMN is the right place  for Sat questions , and never did me any harm only
good from  dial up through to Fibre to the cabinet ,

Just thought I'd say a big hello from someone in the UK who is looking for a decent broadband speedtest site.

Hope to speak to folks later.

At the moment I'm trying to find out if I can check the download speed of a Satelite connection using the checker on here ? Will it fail because of latency issues ?

Anyone help ?

:welcome:

Hope you like what you see.  It won't fail for high latency.  You'll probably get poor results but it's to be expected.

good evening  Michael ? , or Hi M8 from Biggles UK ,

I am intrigued by a UK Sat connection. v. rare in the UK,

Seen a lot of 56k dialup ,adsl, fibre. Fttc ,Ftth but never Sat ,

that is totally new to me , please post more details ,

But I guess TMN is the right place  for Sat questions , and never did me any harm only

good from  dial up through to Fibre to the cabinet ,

Hi Biggles, You've not heard of Satelite Broadband ??? A company called Tooway are installing it all over the UK and have been for a while now.

It's great out in the sticks where there's no chance of BT laying fibre or even telephone cables.

Cheers

Hi Mike, 

There is one way to find out how much latency is effecting your connection , test at all the servers here at testy.net :)  Run a ping and traceroute test to testy.net, 

Post your results so we can get into the middle of it with you yes ?

Hi mudmanc4, The latency is running at 667 - half a second basically - but the overall speed is not to bad. Not much good if you are trying to bid on Ebay ! Your bid gets there way after the auction closed ! The company selling the package offer 20mb down and 6mb up - I've yet to find a test site that even gets anywhere near that figure. The testmy.net tester is returning a down speed of between 1.8 and 2.2mbps and an upload of 200-227mbps - pretty rubbish really considering the costs involved with installation etc..

I'll keep you updated

Yea the ebay thing can be a bummer -- however just add the highest price you are willing to pay and see what happens. Might work out well for you. Many times people pay too much for a product simply due to the thrill of the betting.

I've not done my homework on your tests,  so please excuse me , but have you tested on any of the public testmy.net mirrors ? It's in the server selection tab >HERE< , then select the 'publicly hosted mirrors' - try each one and see what results you get, many times you'll want to test more than once for various reasons.

Hi mudmanc4, The latency is running at 667 - half a second basically - but the overall speed is not to bad. Not much good if you are trying to bid on Ebay ! Your bid gets there way after the auction closed ! The company selling the package offer 20mb down and 6mb up - I've yet to find a test site that even gets anywhere near that figure. The testmy.net tester is returning a down speed of between 1.8 and 2.2mbps and an upload of 200-227mbps - pretty rubbish really considering the costs involved with installation etc..

I'll keep you updated