Slow upload, drastically different from other speed tests

Melchior

Hello testmy.net. I really love your site and I use it all the time because it really is the most accurate way to tell my current speed.

But I have some problems. I have Verizon Fios 25/25 speeds and, well, I get quite different numbers when I test through your site.

:::.. Internet Speed Test Result Details ..:::
Download Connection Speed:: 30775 Kbps or 30.8 Mbps
Download Speed Test Size:: 25.8 MB or 26368 kB or 27000832 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 3847 kB/s or 3.8 MB/s
Upload Connection Speed:: 512 Kbps or 0.5 Mbps
Upload Speed Test Size:: 448 kB or 458752 bytes
Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 64 kB/s
Tested At:: http://TestMy.net Version 13
Test Time:: 2013-04-07 09:57:09 Local Time
Location:: Cherry Hill, NJ US >> Destination:: Washington D.C.
Validation:: https://testmy.net/db/n9mAJ8j.gkWQZsL
TiP Measurement Summary (Download):: Min 12.65 Mbps | Middle Avg 30.75 Mbps | Max 31.25 Mbps | 50% Variance
TiP Data Points:: 31.25 Mbps, 31.04 Mbps, 30.79 Mbps, 30.64 Mbps, 30.64 Mbps, 30.89 Mbps, 30.74 Mbps, 30.79 Mbps, 30.89 Mbps, 30.59 Mbps, 30.74 Mbps, 30.69 Mbps, 30.69 Mbps, 30.39 Mbps, 30.59 Mbps, 31.2 Mbps, 30.64 Mbps, 30.74 Mbps, 12.65 Mbps
More Stats:: https://testmy.net/quickstats/Melchior https://testmy.net/compID/15931336446
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/21.0 [!]

The download speed is just fine, if not awesome. It's the upload that is a serious problem. I don't know why it's so slow. On every other flash based speed test they show me getting the same download but good upload speed. Now I've tried bringing out TWO verizon techs to my home, they see these flash based tests, say everything is fine, I let them know about how testmy.net is more accurate but they dismiss it and say there's nothing they can do.

Here are my speakeasy results.

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 30900 kbps (3862.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 26035 kbps (3254.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

I try to stream alot to twitch.tv and I do NOT get those numbers when I stream. They are more akin to what I get on testmy.net.

My question is WHY are the numbers so different. This makes no sense. It's frustrating beyond belief!

Edited by CA3LE
twitch.tv deserves a link

Hi Melchior,

Good place to start at testmy.net would be > here and here <

I'm certain you'll have a question or two after reading them , feel free to jump in any time with that  :)

Ah yes I read both of those posts before but I'm still uncertain why exactly my upload is so bad. My tech guys simply won't believe me because their speed tests think my upload is fine but in reality it's not. This is very frustrating.

Ah yes I read both of those posts before but I'm still uncertain why exactly my upload is so bad. My tech guys simply won't believe me because their speed tests think my upload is fine but in reality it's not. This is very frustrating.

Maybe the test they're using multithreads the upload... maybe it only takes the best portion of the result into consideration...

You know that you have a problem, right? You experience this problem all over the place, right? Then you need to tell your ISPs techs that their test is bullshit. They need to hear that EVERY day. Then tell them the alternative that obviously works and reflects the actual health of the connection. TestMy.net  -- They could save their customers from the kind of headache that you're dealing with.

Wouldn't it be easier if they used a test that didn't overstate the connection? The tests they use ignore important factors that reduce your speed, they also multithread which can make things look better... and then they test too close. How can it be a test of the Internet if you're not even leaving your city or state... often with those ISP tests you don't even leave the providers network? How can it be a true test when the results are altered?  We need to make them understand... THAT'S NOT AN INTERNET TEST!  --- maybe that's just my opinion. But you and MANY MANY MANY people tell us that their ISPs test often doesn't reflect the performance they see online or on TestMy.net... 

Your ISP shouldn't have to only be upheld to their own standards.  They should be willing to be scrutinized by third parties. I'm up for examination by anyone that wants to.  Get a network inspector of some sort, something that graphs the interface. (Realize that you're not looking for a byte for byte, bit for bit comparison, there are more factors after your interface that result in overhead. So what you read on the interface can be around 5-7% off from the speed that could be perceived by an Internet speed test. But the general plot of the graph and the figures give you more than enough evidence to prove my point.) Now run a test using your ISPs speed test. Compare that graph with the results and you'll find that they HAVE to be calculating on their own algorithm... because it doesn't line up with the interface. Seems to me that ISP tests are often more of a judge of the maximum achievable speed. Now, do the same thing with TestMy.net. You'll quickly realize that I know what I'm talking about here. I have a LARGE number of people that keep me in check, including myself. If I make even a minor mistake in calculation or if anything is off... my inbox lights up light the 4th of July. It's my trusty team of double checkers, you know who you are. I TRULY appreciate their input, listening to them and using their input has made TestMy.net into what I believe is the most accurate and feature laden speed test online. I hope you agree, if not... you must like being lied to.   :wink:

I'll be posting youtube videos soon where I'll compare the network interface results vs TestMy.net and other popular speed tests. Some of these other tests are really funny. They use laughably small amounts of data for testing and some of them I have no idea where they pull their numbers from... because they don't correspond with anything that's actually happening.  A lot of them will show like 15 Mbps of upload, looks like stuff is happening... all intense...  then I look at the interface and I'm uploading 3.5 kB/s (my idle). Just stupid and that was an ISP test from a top 10 ISP in the US using the most popular speed test software. Then they expect their customers to rely on that information... and then tell their techs to ONLY rely on those results.   .... It's not going to surprise me if a class action is filed when someone proves that they're knowingly providing inflated test results to cut down on service calls. It's a lot easier to blame the problem on everyone else (e.g. "...it's the websites your visiting.") when you have a little test that makes your customers feel like their getting their moneys worth.

-D

• CA3LE locked this topic