grey lines on screen problem

hey guys, some of ya know i built a new system not too long ago. and last night i tried to open battlefield 3 and it just came up with a blue screen (not the bsod, just a plain blue screen) with grey lines all over it in like a zig zag pattern and locked up the pc. i rebooted and all was fine.

today i just now got home from work and turned the pc on and before windows even loaded i was greeted with the "windows has stopped working properly"....blah blah blah we prevented hardware failure blah blah screen. the bsod was so hard to read because the grey lines were back....i rebooted and went to safe mode and the lines were still there....so i shut down and booted normally and all is fine again. any ideas?

i have noticed that my microphone (blue snowball) seems to always be flagged as a problem (every time i boot it says the drivers are corrupted). i know its weird but im wondering if it being plugged in to the usb ports it is messing with some boot stuff...honestly it sounds far fetched but i've had a pc lock up until i unplugged a printer from it to boot....

either that or more likely its my graphics card.....which i hope to the computer gods its not....

any ideas?

checked everything and for some reason it doesnt seem to be a gpu issue at all like i figured....

i noticed that every time this issue happens, my mobo splash screen doesnt come up and it kinda lags on start up....and the port does seem a little different than the other pci ex16 4\3.0 slot. perhaps its a slot issue.....

i could put the video card in the second slot and not have problems, am i right? just to check and see if it is the slot.

I had a similar issue some years ago.  Was related to the GPU card not be seated well or possible slot, card edge problem.  When my wife dusted off the computer, she also dusted off the rear cables and found out just slight movement of the video cable caused the problem as it was moving the internal card.  Cleaning the card edge, and reseating the card corrected the problem.  Also was carefull not to move cables in rear of computer anymore and did my own dusting....lol.

Sounds like the contacts on the card weren't seated correctly.

... Remember old NES games, where you had to finagle the cartridge in the slot... otherwise you'd start up and often see lines or messed up characters.  Basically the same thing was happening, if those pins don't have clean contact you'll have issues.  It could have even been a hair or something else in the slot blocking the contact.  Imagine if a little piece of material covers one of those pins.  This is why people would always blow into the old cartridges... to clear even the smallest obstructions, like dust and hair. More common, the card was probably only partially seated in the slot. It could even be that the pins on the slot on the motherboard have worn out and lost springiness, if you swap video card very frequently this may be the case. If you look reeeeeeeal close in the slot you should be able to see if any of the pins look different. They should all look the same and be evenly spaced and square with each other.  Even a single pin missing contact can cause failure or issues. The smaller the pins... the lower the tolerance... the less it takes to bend a pin or lose contact.  PCIe pins are pretty damn small but I personally have never broken or bent one... then again, once I place a card I rarely remove it so someone that's swapping video cards a lot may have a whole different story.

Lucky for you it sounds like your second PCIe slot did the trick.

well i think the reason it was a bad connection (or at least thats what it seems like it was) is because this card (powercolor 7970) is a heavy bulky card and wasnt seated properly when it was put in the first time so it was slowly leaning out more and more. after testing and making sure of everything. its back in the first slot and running smoothly, knock on wood.