core.3454 - multiple files per day @ 5.2 MB/each dumped in /

mudmanc4
Go to solution Solved by CA3LE,

These files are being dumped in "  /" (not root) on a dedicated VPS

The machine gets anywhere between 2-10 / 15 minutes.

They are binary files (executable files ) with no extension, just leaving successive numbering system after " core.XXXX "

I'll drag one to an editor later if I have time to see what can be found , but what is legible outside of ASCII code appears to be related to the mail server.

I cannot see any way that the server has been rooted, and permissions of the files are all rw , so they cannot be executed.

Idea's ?

13%2010:57%20AM.jpg

I took some time last night deciphering what I could using GDB and figured that out, and thank you.

It seems postfix was configured with debug. Fair enough, thought I've not had time enough to find out why it keeps crashing. Have time hopefully this coming week to get into it.

Right now I'm seeing it coming from a horde/plesk issue.

Now I did not care to take the time to find out what was the 'core' issue , but I did find by using GDB that this had something to do with domain authentication between postfix and nginx - since I had not yet gotten terrible deep into using nginx as a reverse proxy, it was eliminated, and the problem for now, at least has been solved.

Maybe once nginx allows for .htaccess files I'll dive into that, having so many throughout an older site, even anything latest can cause hours of extra work.