External Monitor loses aspect ratio each new session.

I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook, several years old running XP. Probably the worst impulse purchase I've made computer related. However, all's not lost. I have it hooked up to an LG monitor as the primary viewing and do not even use the Acer screen. All the output is to the LG.

I have used the Appearance feature under Desktop Properties to set the ratio and have use the OEM's control panel to set the screen size, clicked apply. Still each new session the screen comes up too large and I have to adjust it. What is maddening is I found a solution to this several years ago when I was using the same configuration but nothing I've Googled or multiple forums have had an answer. It's can't be that big a problem, I solved it before!! However not luck this time.

Hoping I can have a stroke of luck here!  Thanks for any and all suggestions.  Jack ":-D

I talked to him... he said he was going to reply to this topic but he's spending the night at my sisters tonight so he's kinda preoccupied.  Christian is my 13 year old son by the way.

He told me that he wasn't really outputting it to a monitor very often but when he did he'd always have to switch the resolution because "the resolution on the Aspire is really low"

Sorry, it was worth a shot.  I thought he'd know off the top of his head but I guess since he wasn't outputting it that often he didn't care enough to fix it.  When I get a minute I'll look around and see if I can find the solution that you've already done before.  I do the same thing all the time... I figure something out then next time I have the problem I forget the fix and then I have the damnedest time trying to figure it out again.  Sometimes it seems like it's twice as hard to solve the second time around.  lol

Does anyone else know?

If you remember or figure it out please add the answer to this thread.  It will help others in the future.

Sorry, it was worth a shot.  I thought he'd know off the top of his head but I guess since he wasn't outputting it that often he didn't care enough to fix it.  When I get a minute I'll look around and see if I can find the solution that you've already done before.  I do the same thing all the time... I figure something out then next time I have the problem I forget the fix and then I have the damnedest time trying to figure it out again.  Sometimes it seems like it's twice as hard to solve the second time around.  lol

Hey, that's no problem and thanks for the "shot."  There's way more response here than I see on other forums. This it becoming my "go to" place for most issues. 

Yes, I know there is a work around, I've just forgotten in the same way you mentioned above. I'll keep plugging and be sure to post it when I come across it the next time. I have a folder I've kept for several years now I titled PC HELPS. I used to faithfully write down the answers to things like this on a notepad and keep them. I am going to go searching there. It's possible I might have.

Thanks again!  Jack  ":-D

• 1 month later...

Man I would love to know what was causing that.  Has to be a default BIOS detection against a windows monitor detection / update, no ? 

Unfortunately, I can't describe. And I had the same problem with this monitor on this Pc several years ago and I got it working. I might have tripped over the solution and didn't know it. Unfortunately sometimes I make 2 or 3 tweaks and when I come back to check and it works ????  Which one did it. Well, then I dismiss trying to find out which did. But in the future I should go back and reset the tweaks and see which one makes the fault come back. In the future I'll keep that in mind!  Thanks and sorry! ":-DD  jack