DIR-657

philp

I've had this router for 3 months and it seems to work well except for printing issues. My PCs will print to my wireless HP D110a but my iPhones will not. When I try to print, they say 'No AirPrint Printer Found". I have been in contact with D-Link and they haven't got a clue. Multicasting is enabled and the printer has Bonjour enabled. I have tried different router configurations and nothing seems to help. I just discovered this morning that if I reboot the router, my iPhone will find the printer. This lasts for roughly 2 minutes. I can reboot again, and I get another 2 minute connection. Latest  updates on the iPhones and printer have been installed and the router is hardware version A1 with beta firmware version 1.02. Are there any router gurus out there who might be able to help?

First thing I do when a printer gives trouble like this , is to assign it a static IP via mac address if possible

Whatever else you can do within the router, to make the device 'stick' , such as assigning a hostname to the printer, most already have this as a sequence of model number and version ext. 

First thing I do when a printer gives trouble like this , is to assign it a static IP via mac address if possible

Whatever else you can do within the router, to make the device 'stick' , such as assigning a hostname to the printer, most already have this as a sequence of model number and version ext. 

I did it exactly as described here: http://resource.dlink.com/connect/mastering-static-ip-addresses/

Still no joy.

• 1 month later...

One other question. When I tried setting a static IP for the printer, I used the instructions I found here: http://resource.dlink.com/connect/mastering-static-ip-addresses/

Those say " The IP Address you choose will need to fall within your router’s DHCP UP Address Range."

But on HP's site, look at step 6 here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02817031&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4023246&tmp_track_link=ot_search

Those instructions say "If you know what the DHCP range is, set an IP address in which the last set of numbers is outside that range, but no higher than 254."

Do you know which one is correct?

DHCP range for most D-Link routers:

192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254

Your subnet is 255.255.255.0 so only the last octet of your IP address is going to change; 192.168.0.x

You CAN set static IP addresses inside the DHCP range/pool and that is common in a home environment.

You will want to set a static IP on your printer that is easy to remember; e.g. 192.168.0.100.

If your printer has the option to set a Hostname you may consider setting it to something easy to remember as well; e.g. PRINTER001 or something simplistic.

Try that, if it still doesn't work see if their are extra settings on your phone for the printer. I don't use iPhone's so I can't give 'valid' advice on them without your input.

Just to add a different perspective ( hopefully not confusion )  to Mr.yukons post

Most local static assignments would be considered as DHCP reservations, depending on the appliance of course, and so long as the reservation assignments are outside of the DHCP range.

Here's part of my local mess, the blue highlighted are auto DHCP addresses assigned by the DHCP server |range| , where the others are static reservations assigned via mac address, or physical network device.

post-9745-0-58635000-1378928575_thumb.pn

However I am curious Mr.Yukon , what devices allow setting static, reservations or otherwise within a DHCP range ? Mind you I don't do a lot of 'home

devices as of late to be in the know on the reasoning or possible conflicts of that. I have not seen any device that function this way, or am I completely mis understanding the basics of reserving IP adresses, and how a dynamic ip server functions ?

The printer should not NEED a static IP for the iPhone to catch it , this sounds more like as Mr.Yukon touched on , a hostname forwarding/ caching issue. 

Just to add a different perspective ( hopefully not confusion )  to Mr.yukons post

Most local static assignments would be considered as DHCP reservations, depending on the appliance of course, and so long as the reservation assignments are outside of the DHCP range.

Here's part of my local mess, the blue highlighted are auto DHCP addresses assigned by the DHCP server |range| , where the others are static reservations assigned via mac address, or physical network device.

attachicon.gifstat-reserves.png

However I am curious Mr.Yukon , what devices allow setting static, reservations or otherwise within a DHCP range ? Mind you I don't do a lot of 'home

devices as of late to be in the know on the reasoning or possible conflicts of that. I have not seen any device that function this way, or am I completely mis understanding the basics of reserving IP adresses, and how a dynamic ip server functions ?

The printer should not NEED a static IP for the iPhone to catch it , this sounds more like as Mr.Yukon touched on , a hostname forwarding/ caching issue. 

true the printer should not need it but i've had much better success on my home network having my printer using a static address then a dynamic one because then i don't get the occassional cannot communicate with the printer messages and have to restart the printer

Heads up on that triran I agree, and i should have clarified that.

I do normally give every device locally a static, the only reason the printer at the moment does not, is I've recently set the subnet to something other than is was forever, and the poor printer, the voip device and one workstation were left behind ( no excuse aside lazy ) -

As soon as someone messages me 'I can't print and this is due today' - I'll jump on it, because what you say is exactly what happens.

I'm working on a non windows PDC , (not strictly samba) for a cross platform infrastructure , that should share the printers and eliminate the issue. And likely create another at the same time lol

Technically, you can do this with any device, though it is NOT best practice to do so.

Most home users can get away with it due to the fact that they only need a small amount of IP Addresses in the first place. If you only have a laptop, an iPad, and a smart phone connected on your wireless network with a DHCP range of x.x.x.2-254 and your DHCP server doesn't crash or hold on to expired leases..... You can get away with adding a couple devices within the range with minimal issues, if any at all.

I put that 'advice' out there for those that are not technically savvy as far as subnetting goes. It's a rather large burden for those that do not know to find where to change there DHCP pool in their device(s) just for a damned printer. lol Plus, ISP issues that lead to reseting the router to factory defaults... People forget to set stuff up again and then the network is trashed. *shrugs*

Most of the printer issues that I saw were caused by the firewall blocking Bi-Directional communication between two networks and/or SNMP.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/airprint/#section_1

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356

Apple says it's your printers fault. :2funny:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4527300?start=0&tstart=0 <-- This seems like it may be the answer.

https://www.google.com/#q=airprint+dir-657