Problems on Dallas Server ?

Pgoodwin1

Yeah. I do. Not sure what to do to get to that next level. I know just enough to describe the problem, but I don't know what to present to them. There's no mechanism for sending them data, and I don't have the technical expertise to tell them what to do. They just blew it off as not their problem, and I don't know how to determine whether their equipment is the problem, or like they said, it's some other non-TWC path issue. They basically said all they do is provide access to the Internet and that my access is running full speed according to their speed test.

They did say that if I could find another TWC customer in the Cincinnati area but not in my neighborhood area that could get to the Dallas server during peak periods without the speed loss, that would be evidence. So maybe I'll try to get some friends to get on TMN and run some tests.

They want me to identify specific websites that load slowly. When I said virtually everything slows down, that wasn't acceptable.

Edited by Pgoodwin1

That definitely is acceptable have you tried getting a tech to come out during peak hours?

Everytime I had a tech cone out and try to run and ookla test I explained to him how and why speedtest.net can't be trusted and a then showed him testmy.net and would show him my results

Hopefully after calling this issue in a few times, they'll agree to get a tech out here.

It's hard to find a specific slow loading website that is consistently slow even during peak hours. I have to stay up into the middle of the night, or get up in the wee hours of the morning to see if it's really faster. And even then you don't know if it's a bandwidth limitation of that particular website or along the path to it. The speed test here is the best way to capture the issue.

Edited by Pgoodwin1

I get slow speeds even when the ping times on all the hops are 1/10 of the big peaks below. I don't know if these events are significant. I don't know what the probability of experiencing one is due to the small interval of time that the ping event is going on.

The big peaks are always on the final hop. And they don't occur very often.The plot below is 500 data points wide over several days. So it's not something that is happening regularly, or I should say regularly enough to capture all of them. I don't know whether it's significant or not. Aren't ping test packets only like 64 bytes? I don't really understand how much more likely a 25 MB speed test is to overlap one of those slow downs. For instance if a piece of the speed test was 64 Kbytes, maybe it's 1000 times more likely to occur at the same time as the slow peak period on any given hop???

My engineering work experience was in analog engine control circuit design which isn't doing me much good here. Haha.

post-82979-0-28895400-1384630163_thumb.j

Edited by Pgoodwin1