Difference in Up and Down Speeds

EpicxEvolution

Hi, I have a download speed of 38.4 Mbps when using 50mb, according to the results this is pretty good. So why is my upload speed so bad? My upload speed is on average 1.6 Mbps when using 33mb.

I need a higher upload speed for streaming, how could I improve it?

My max upload speed is 7.9 Mbps, I wish I could get more of that on average since my average download is the max I guess it can go.

I tested this using the Dallas, TX server and I live in Illinois if it matters.

Any help is appreciated!

I see your stats at https://testmy.net/compID/900739111929

post-2-0-81355600-1376599582_thumb.jpg

Don't expect to get upload speeds as fast as your download speed. On a consumer level it can be rare. Consult your ISP about the upload speed you should be getting. In your case Comcast's packages are listed at DSL Reports http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643 ... They seem to be updated.

• 1 year later...

This is my first post so bare with me, I have fiber download speed is to be 15MBP so should at least have 10MBP I would think for several months it has been up and down today at 5:41 AM it was 29KBP so I am sure there wasn't to many online at the same time just me. Have new router that didn't help if it would be my problem what could it be , or would it be their problem? Thanks 

post-2-0-54528900-1419433177_thumb.png

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=c&d=12242014&x=90&l=25&q=68872815739

Edited by CA3LE
Added stats

This is my first post so bare with me, I have fiber download speed is to be 15MBP so should at least have 10MBP I would think for several months it has been up and down today at 5:41 AM it was 29KBP so I am sure there wasn't to many online at the same time just me. Have new router that didn't help if it would be my problem what could it be , or would it be their problem? Thanks 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-24 at 7.58.50 AM.png

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=c&d=12242014&x=90&l=25&q=68872815739

So you have Endeavor CommunicationsEndeavor E-FORCE.  

post-2-0-09243900-1419434203_thumb.png

I'm guessing 15/3 ... and if it's not then your problem is worse than I thought. (or they're really delivering on that 6 Mbps package, lol)  So when you're performing right, it's pretty nice.  But those dips hurt.  How often is this happening and how long does it last?

post-2-0-98409100-1419435199_thumb.png

I do see a pattern in there.  Your worst results are between ~25 and ~45 minutes past the hour.

Try an hour long test first.  auto speed test, download / express off / every 5 minutes / 12 times.

If you see a specific time that your speed drops, start the next test (below) during that time frame so that you can see if it's happening every hour.

Run a longer auto speed test, download / express off / every hour / 24 times.

When the speed drops that heavily I start looking into the possibility of another computer on my network doing something that's eating up all the bandwidth.  Maybe someone in your house is torrenting or maybe your wifi isn't secure and a neighbor is leeching your bandwidth.  You'd be surprised how often that's the case.

When it happens with perfect regularity I start looking into automatic scheduled tasks I may have across all the computers within my network.  A large backup sync that happens at the same time every day for instance may choke your bandwidth.

Run that scheduled test, it will help us understand better.  If it's happening only during a certain time of day it could be congestion in your area.  If it's happening very frequently where your speed is constantly up and down it may be your equipment.  There are so many possibilities but we'll try to help you nail down the problem.

• 6 months later...

Don't forget that "most" ISPs use what is known as "asymmetric" links. This means that your US speeds are always lower than your DS speeds UNLESS you are paying for "equal" US and DS service. This is done because the amount of data (generally speaking) on the DS side is always much higher than the US side. Think of what you send to Google versus what comes back from Google. This is true for most people's net usage.