1 Xp will access Win8 Pc files, another Xp will not?

jackdashack

I have 2 Xp machines and a Windows 8 Pc with Home Edition.

The one Xp machine can access the Win8 Pc files on the network, the other is balking and asking for a password. I have tried every combination of passwords I know that I use signing in, and even created a password for the network on the Win8. Which doesn't make sense as I have the Win8 set to require no password.

Still, the other Xp machine wants a password to access the Windows 8 Pc. 

Anyone understand the logic, the workaround or what is going on that one Pc wants an password and another does not?

CA3LE .. where are you! LoL  ( the answer man most times )

Thanks so much for all the help.  Jack  ":-D

I cannot answer directly to your issue, at the same time , I have run into issues where no password causes a plethora of issues with windows networking , especially sharing / domains / ext  

Sounds as if one XP box is accessing the user account , and another is trying to access the admin account , so depending on how you set up your windows 8 box, home / work ext .. the admin account could be disabled by default. 

I cannot answer directly to your issue, at the same time , I have run into issues where no password causes a plethora of issues with windows networking , especially sharing / domains / ext  

Thanks so much. I did get an answer from another forum and it attests to my lack of sense. I could get as far as asking a password to the Windows 8 Pc but didn't work. Well ... explain. I had typed John D Doe  When I typed John D. Doe it worked. Can you see the difference, period after the middle initial?  I forgot the period the first time I tried it and dismissed it as unimportant and it was important. Once this guy on another forum suggest I do that, and I typed it all WITH THE PERIOD, it let me in. Goes to show how sometimes when you get too much in a hurry you can swish right over the answer. In this case I dismissed something that was important even though it was the lowly (.) Period. When I typed that behind my middle initial and clicked on REMEMBER ME it's all be working since.

So it's solved. And thanks again mudmanc4 for your time and help.  Jack ":-DDD  (happy feet)  :wave:

Great, glad you got it sorted. 

You also pointed out a failure of mine , I should have asked if you have your username correct, it's much easier in person , sometimes on forums, people get all hot -n- bothered " of course i know my user name duh " lol

Enjoy your file sharing locally :)

You got that right. When people come to the forums the helps (as yourself) tend to think it must be a deep problem because they would not think to do wrong something so simple. Maybe that's why sometimes I scan the posts to see if there is something simple that, I think simpler, that I might help. The techies tend to go for the big gulp!  LOL  Kudos!  jack  ":-D