installing a mp3 player.......

ninjageek

Ok, its time for me to get out of the stone age. Wanna get a mp3 player and put in my car. Not sure how to do it. I have a cd player, a tape deck (not sure it works). So what do I need to pull this off. Appreciate any help. 

Also some advice on a mp3 player would help. Not real sure I want a apple, Not a fan of the computer software needed to put music on the ipod. Yea, I am clueless with digital music. Thanks. 

Edited by ninjageek

I'd highly recommend the iPod over any other player. Most aftermarket stereos have digital USB interfaces for iPods, and the organization of the music into songlists using iTunes results in a far better user experience in a car than having to scroll through lists of artists, or song titles or albums titles. With iTunes you can easily make lists of songs, rate them, sort by rating and make smart lists to pull in songs to a list based on whatever criteria you pick. It's far superior to any other music organization software. There are others, but none of them are even close to the flexible power of iTunes.

If you don't have a huge music library of ripped CDs or purchased digital music, a smartphone can likely hold enough songs for you. As for your stereo, if it has a tape deck, it's probably an older model, and may not even have an Aux input. If it does, you can just plug into it from the headphone output of any MP3 player or smartphone. The sound quality isn't quite as high us using a digital input from an iPod or a smartphone. If you don't have the Aux in or USB inputs on your stereo, the only options you have without buying a new car stereo is a Cassette Adapter or an FM Modulator. The Cassette Adapter looks just like a cassette with a wire honing out of it that you plug into your MP3 player. When you insert the cassette, it plays through your tape heads, and it has the same rotating hubs that a cassette has. These devices sound just OK, not great, but about as good as any commercial cassette recording. They aren't very reliable. They don't cost much, but I had one where the cassette hub bearing froze and it ruined my cassette player - it wouldn't eject, and the payer got damaged when I tried to ease it out-it just wouldn't come out. The option (FM Transmitter) has an FM transmitter in it. You plug your MP3 player into it and tune your car FM radio to a specific station. The adapter transmits a signal to your car radio antenna. The transmitters don't have much power, so the signals can be interfered with, and even the FM channels on your stereo (where there's no station) will have a lot of background noise. I don't recommend either of these solutions. You'd be better off buying a new car stereo. You can compare models and manufacturer's features and spec online at Crutchfield. Or you an do some online research on reviews by people about local car audio stores. Those places can recommend the right equipment for your budget. I bought a Pioneer Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS CD receiver, and it's a really nice looking and sounding unit.

Many of the better car stereos these days can interface with either an Android phone or an iPhoe digitally, and virtually all of them will interface digitally with an iPod. Many of them have BlueTooth and will connect your phone so you can talk hands free. So,e of them even have voice command.

I REALLY don't want a Ipod. Simply can not see paying that kind of money for a mp3 player. So after allot of thought, think my first mp3 player is gonna be a sony walkman. Reading the reviews at amazon, seems like a decent buy.

I will get the mounting kit for it, then Use a casset adapter, see how the hole thing works out for me and if I like it. If it all works out, I may get a new sterio for my car in the future. No point in throwing tons of money into something I am unsure of. So baby steps. I can get the whole set up for under a 100 bucks, so thats fine. 

Before I buy the sony, I may take a look at the local pawn shops and price a ipod. Ebay is not a option for me. Not a fan. 

Edited by ninjageek

Well I decided to switch gears. I had no idea new car sterio's were so cheep. Make's sense with mp3 players and all. So I am gonna spend the money to get the a new sterio, with all the stuff to hook it up, 100 bucks will get me a good one. Had no idea the new ones would play music from a usb drive. 

Just not sold on mp3 players, not sure I wanna carry one around, and with mid west winters, you can' leave em in the car. 

Hi Ninjageek

You would be amazed at all the technology out there now. Did you know you can hook up your phone via bluetooth/Wifi and it would automatically pick up your phone calls when it rings? The car speakers acts as your 'hands free kit' essentially :D you can then talk without having to answer your phone with your hands whilst driving :D