I am new here and would like to discuss a situation

NKrumah Hughes

Hey everyone. I am Nkrumah. I currently live in Brooklyn, New York and I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing any problems with Optimum Online. I am paying for upgraded internet speed which is called " Ultra 101. " Ultra 101 is supposed to be the top fastest speed being offered by Optimum without getting a Dedicated Line. My speeds are way below the normal speeds that I should be getting. I have reset the router, the modem, received a new modem and even brought a new router. The speed is still very low. Even when only one device is accessing the internet, the internet is still very laggy. Optimum told me to run Speedtest which showed that my speed was very high, so I know Speedtest is inadequate of providing true speeds. Optimum also told me that it is the poles outside which they so called can't get to because they are behind the houses. But when it is time to disconnect you from the pole for non-payment they are able to get back there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi Nkrumah , welcome to the testmy.net forum. 

Your test results show rather consistent, so the next question is what tier are you paying for , or what bandwidth does this 101 package claim to be supplying ? 

I like that excuse , the poles can't be reached ? Why would they toss that in there ? Unless they know of an old line issue that will cost them, just guessing of course, but as you stated, they'll reach it right quick on the day the customers payment is overdue lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm in rural Kansas.  Don't have many options for internet and thought I had it all worked out until recently (within the past 2 or 3 months) Hughesnet has just gone down the tubes.  Often, when I call I get a recording that says their call volume is higher than expected (I bet it is probably flooded with calls from unsatisfied customers, like me) and they ask me to call back later and then they just hang up.  No options given.  So, my 2 main questions are:  (1) are there other internet options for rural areas and (2) how do I go about getting out of my contract with Hughesnet. 

Thanks in advance for your time and replies.....

Deana