What router are you currently using?

Sparticus

The menu/software isvery slow to update setting adjustments.

Router makers must be in a dilemma balancing the UI between being "pretty" thus appealing to consumers and being fast and reliable. The the best consumer Web UI I've recently seen is that of TP-Link devices. The hardware is still unreliable and requires rebooting often, but as far as setting parameters via the WebUI goes, it is ideal. UI uses normal HTTP post forms, can be used from any browser, including old, and there is even comprehensive help provided on every page. The Web-UI has only one picture at the top. But complaints have been made that the UI isn't "modern" and isn't localized. Well, a bit is still a bit in Africa, as are protocol names. Translating them only adds complexity that makes the router slow. The ASUS is at least dual core ("runs very warm"), but lower models are 400-600 MHz single core, which is similar to an old Win98 computer, where you wouldn't put on this GUI.

If slow GUI seems acceptable, one could consider an Ubiquiti device. They are fast but with surprisingly limited configration options in the UI (PDF 16 MB), as confirmed by reviewers here. 512 megabytes of RAM, and yet the packet sniffer can only save 300 packets? Come on. The devices are free from most of the "cloud" buzzwords though, and available from several online retailers.

I am using Mikrotik products exclusively myself, because they GUI is very fast and nothing is locked down. Wireless spectrum analyzer and channel picker. An IP scan, Torch (connections traffic log) and packet sniffer running simultaneusly. Uptime of 430 days. Its web UI is okay too. But "meh" in comparison to the native, fast Windows GUI where you can mouse through menus without any delay.

WebUI's are shit wherever one goes. Soon they'll put an entire OS into the web browser to do "cloud" stuff. Slowly. What Intel give-th, and Microsoft tried its best to take-th away, Google finale looted in bulk.

Both Ubiquiti and RouterBoard do need two devices to get both wired with enough ports and a wireless access point on both bands. These are the only two companies I would consider. They both comparatively few products, which have been perfected and sold over a few years. Out of these UBNT can be expected to support latest technologies, such as 802.11ac sooner.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently replaced my Nighthawk with the Asus RT-AC3100, so far I absolutely love the 3100. It has so many features that the Nighthawk doesn't. My two favorite features are the Bandwidth Monitor / Traffic Monitor and the built in VPN support.

• 2 months later...

My old Linksys router just recently died...treated me well for 7 years.

Went out and upgraded to the AC1900. Wasn't looking to spend too much, but I was impressed with the performance it was putting out. I'm always playing WoW and I rarely ever get connection issues and the range is also great. Does anyone else have the same router?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bunnie said:

[...]

I also have another pfsense router running on my second network. (where I host my stuff)

@Bunnie How do you see v2.3.x moving forward ?

I use pfSense in production as well as various home applications. Personally I appreciate the fact we have moved to pkg for updates, much more intuitive for keeping the entire system up to date on a regular basis. 

• 4 weeks later...