Vonage indicating that 3 out of 5 stars or 357kbps Upload stats not good enough

davevonage

Attempting to initiate Vonage's VOIP. We have Comcast as our ISP. Attempted to use phone setup and sound is hollow with a bit of static vs. land line with AT&T. Vonage says that the upload bandwidth speed is the problem. I can't believe that the entire Comcast cable system can't support the VOIP technology providing the same or better sound quality. When Vonage indicated that I should lower the sound quality monitor on my account, the sound was even worse. What can I do?? How can I get 5 stars on upload test?? Recent test results:

Well probably geting an upgrade for a faster service should help :evil6:. You are probably going to need to get a four star upload connection. Since a 5 star upload is probably a 1Mb, having a 1Mb upload is very expensive. Depending were you live and what types of services are available to you :). The cheapest services you can get that give great download and upload is Verizon FIOS and this one http://www.gwi.net/residential/highspeed/index.html . :) I have Cox High Speed Internet 5000/768 service and my upload is only 4 stars. :D

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 746 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 91 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Sat Mar 12 2005 11:26:38 GMT-0700 (US Mountain Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 13X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 11.25 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 68.78 % faster than the average for host (cox.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-T7NJV802E

:cool:

Well Dave...not sure upload is really the problem...I don't know anything about vonage but I did copy this from another forum....

voIP on a DSL connection (according to Vonage) needs 90Kbps continuously both up and down.  Their internet site offers a "bandwidth saver" feature that allow that number to be reduced to 60 or 30 Kbps and they said some people did not notice any important difference.  So I tried it at 30 Kbps

This person indicated that it worked pretty well at the lower speed....however he was on a sat system and even 30Kbps is hard to maintain....

Hope it hepls some..

For voip to work *almost *  well, you need at least a 512 upload.  You currently have a 386 upload, as do i. You'll realy need a faster upload package inorder to do voip and whatnot

Well Dave...not sure upload is really the problem...I don't know anything about vonage but I did copy this from another forum....

voIP on a DSL connection (according to Vonage) needs 90Kbps continuously both up and down. Their internet site offers a "bandwidth saver" feature that allow that number to be reduced to 60 or 30 Kbps

Thats true, but the less bandwidth used, the less sound quality you get. Eventualy its no better then 2 tin cans and a string.

This is davevonage. Since I am new to the forum and don't know how to respond to all of you who have addressed my issue thus far. I found out from Comcast that for $10 per month over the $43/month we already pay them for being our ISP,they can increase my speed to over 700 kbps from the 365kbps. They are coming out with their own VOIP in June, 2005 and will address the sound quality at that time. They agree that they will not be able to sell the product by forcing people to pay more for their regular high speed internet service so they will probably have to increase the residential speed for free to accomodate. I'm going to sit it out UNLESS SOMEONE CAN TELL ME HOW I CAN GET INCREASED UPLOAD SPEED BYPASSING COMCAST?? :icon_pale:

There isn't anyway you can increase your upload anymore that's your advertised speed. The only way you can increase it is by upgrading your internet service. You can also increase it by uncapping your service but that's illegal here in the U.S. :) So... I guess your stuck with that unless you upgrade it. :)

;) I think Speedy Final meant to say illegal or not legal to un cap your speed. As many have said your stuck with what you got until you get a higher upload speed or your ISP makes some changes 4u.... again welcome to the site and tell your friends about TESTMY.NET.... :)

8) Microwave

;) I think Speedy Final meant to say illegal or not legal to un cap your speed. As many have said your stuck with what you got until you get a higher upload speed or your ISP makes some changes 4u.... again welcome to the site and tell your friends about TESTMY.NET.... :)

8) Microwave

Thank You, Microwave. :icon_thumright: I just modified it, I didn't even know I put the wrong word. Next time I'll read it :downtown:

:icon_thumleft: