New member with a problem (check out my test scores)

Johnnyfairplay

Hi all, 

I have WOW, and occasionally play online games. My ping is usually pretty high, and on some servers its unplayable. My computer is almost new, and I'm running Win7, so I'm pretty sure its my ISP.

I just did a speed test on got this;

Cbfy8P7.yzmbMhL.png

How can this be?

Thanks for looking

What package do you have with Wide Open West?

How does the test load in your browser?  Are you using any proxy or caching software?

… looking at other results from their users and I'm not seeing anyone else with results like that.  Maybe something locally, I highly doubt that you pulled the data that fast.

When you did a multithread test around the same time you pulled about 14.5 Mbps.  Something locally on your machine is causing an issue.  If you think of what it is let me know so I can use that information to make the test better. 

I have  the basic 15/1 plan.

I'm using Chrome without any other software, as far as I know. When I click on the test button, it appears to freeze, then the results page appears after awhile.

About the only thing I can think of that might have done this is me changing my DNS nameservers. I went to Gibson Research GRC, and ran his DNS Benchmark utility     https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

According to this, my assigned nameservers were pretty slow (imagine that!), so I switched to OpenDNS     http://www.opendns.com/

I switched both my router, and computer, although it doesn't really seem to have done anything, except maybe inflate my test scores.

I would really like to decrease my ping in games. Do I need a faster upload?

Send me the DNS addresses you're using so I can see myself.

Personally, I like Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 -- you should give that a try.

DNS isn't going to help you in gaming, as I'm sure that addresses are directly addressed vs resolved with a name server.  (using an IP instead of blah.domain.crap)  -- your upload also seems sufficient, unless you're hosting the game you shouldn't use more than 25 kB/s (upstream) with most games (~200 Kbps)… and that number is pretty high, many I've seen don't even use 5-10 kB/s.

Are you gaming on a system or on your PC?  Are you connecting with wifi?

Give me a little more information, I think you have sufficient bandwidth for some quality gaming… and I'll try to help you get rid of that lag.

If you can, get a list of game server addresses you use.  Then ping them, so we can do a before and after comparison.  General instructions added below...

To ping a host...

• Windows Start > Run > type CMD [enter] > from the command prompt type ping google.com and/or ping testmy.net
  • Linux / Mac Under Applications/Utilities open 'Terminal' > type ping google.com and/or ping testmy.net

Paste those results here.

Hey CA3LE,

Thanks for helping.

I'm playing UT2004 from my PC wired to my router.
Using          208.67.220.220      and      208.67.222.123        OpenDNS

My favorite server is LGD Ballistic      178.33.238.8040

C:\Users\Dean>ping testmy.net

Pinging testmy.net [75.126.77.87] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 75.126.77.87: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=49
Reply from 75.126.77.87: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=49
Reply from 75.126.77.87: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=49
Reply from 75.126.77.87: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 75.126.77.87:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 66ms, Average = 60ms

C:\Users\Dean>ping 178.33.238.38.8040
Ping request could not find host 178.33.238.38.8040. Please
ry again.

C:\Users\Dean>ping 178.33.238.38

Pinging 178.33.238.38 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 178.33.238.38: bytes=32 time=111ms TTL=48
Reply from 178.33.238.38: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=48
Reply from 178.33.238.38: bytes=32 time=158ms TTL=48
Reply from 178.33.238.38: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 178.33.238.38:
    Minimum = 108ms, Maximum = 158ms, Average = 121ms

1 more;

C:\Users\Dean>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [74.125.228.3] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.228.3: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=52
Reply from 74.125.228.3: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=52
Reply from 74.125.228.3: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=52
Reply from 74.125.228.3: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 74.125.228.3:
    Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 52ms, Average = 30ms

I've also run  this tool;

ICSI Netalyzer       http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ and I get this disappointing result;

Network Access Link Properties+ yelred.gif 

Network performance (?): Latency: 150 ms, Loss: 0.0%
The round-trip time (RTT) between your computer and our server is 150 ms, which is good.
We recorded no packet loss between your system and our server.

TCP connection setup latency (?): 130ms
The time it takes your computer to set up a TCP connection with our server is 130 ms, which is good.

Background measurement of network health (?): no transient outages
During most of Netalyzr's execution, the client continuously measures the state of the network in the background, looking for short outages. During testing, the client observed no such outages.

Network bandwidth (?): Upload 1.1 Mbit/s, Download 15 Mbit/s
Your Uplink: We measured your uplink's sending bandwidth at 1.1 Mbit/s. This level of bandwidth works well for many users. 
During this test, the client observed one reordered packet.
Your Downlink: We measured your downlink's receiving bandwidth at 15 Mbit/s. This level of bandwidth works well for many users. 
During this test, the client observed 533 reordered packets.

Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink 1700 ms, Downlink 1800 ms
We estimate your uplink as having 1700 ms of buffering. This is quite high, and you may experience substantial disruption to your network performance when performing interactive tasks such as web-surfing while simultaneously conducting large uploads. With such a buffer, real-time applications such as games or audio chat can work quite poorly when conducting large uploads at the same time.
We estimate your downlink as having 1800 ms of buffering. This is quite high, and you may experience substantial disruption to your network performance when performing interactive tasks such as web-surfing while simultaneously conducting large downloads. With such a buffer, real-time applications such as games or audio chat can work quite poorly when conducting large downloads at the same time.