tests and using bitdefender av

missmoondog
Go to solution Solved by mudmanc4,

i've been testing/using the bitdefender av for a bit now and the tests here always hang and never complete. not positive it's the av but seems to have started doing this ever since i installed it on my windows 7 ultimate and home premium boxes.

does not hang at all when on one of my linux boxes.

any ideas other than telling me to uninstall av? there is no temporaril disabling it, that i can see.

thank you

Hence why I never use any antivirus. People everywhere get virus's, and they almost always have an AV installed - or two. 

Many times these softwares are for peace of mind Vs. real world usability. 

For instance, say there is a widely known virus, the guys at such n such company have written a fix or even a detection for certain parts of the already active virus. So your safe yes ? 

Sure , although in order to have a fix or such , first the virus must be discovered and reported , then the fix written and applied to the repo for update. By then you've already read that attachment, or better yet, the doods that wrote the virus , wait for the release of the fix, and change it just enough so that either it's not detected , or circumvents the entire process of detection. 

I almost won't argue that point in the least, mudmanc4, hence why I said I was testing this AV.

Normally, or at least 50% of the time, I don't use an AV at all either, but when working on other people's computers and knowing how stupid some of them can be, you need to install anything and everything you can to help them! :)

As I stated, there is no way to temporarily disable the AV, but on machines without Bitdefender, the tests run fine.

Just out of curiosity, does any one here use the host file from here http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm ? The part of the host file that may be messing with things is the fact I recently added google.analytics, to it.

I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to either this months version of the host file or the AV. The only thing with that thinking is that on the machines I haven't updated the host file on yet, the test will complete, but it may take a refresh or 3, to complete.

Thanks

May I suggest eliminating the issue by removing this plague , clearing the hosts file and requesting a copy of a well respected members file. 

Grabbing hosts files from here and there is fine , but go through each entry if you do so. I'm sure you are well aware the wrong entry can and will redirect anywhere you go , to a clone or much worse. 

Personally,

I don't think you'll find a much more respected place/person to "just grab" a copy of a host file from and besides, I have already tried that since I posted that last question, so I now know it's not that. Also, besides that fact, like I said, I don't have an issue doing the speed test using Linux Debian, with that same host file.

Yea, my statement was not a reflection on any particular site. Sorry if I made it sound that way but it was a blanket statement, as with any data that directly effects functions as deep as the hosts file does should be taken very seriously when editing. As we are aware, this is one of the root targets of many unscrupulous malarky vendors. 

even when a test works correctly, i get radical download speeds.

i'm on charter cable with a speed of 30/4. i'm fairly certain charter still uses that boost feature, but it varies by area, i think.

this is actually one of the slower results, as far as download, when it works without hanging or stopping. my upload is slower than 4 due to using voip phone and qos settings in router.

post-17374-0-35921700-1387289792_thumb.j

Have you run ping and trace route tests to testmy.net ? Just out of curiosity. ( I know you know how to perform these function, just placing them for future visitors that read your thread :)  )

To ping a host...

• Windows Start > Run > type CMD [enter] > from the command prompt type ping google.com and/or ping testmy.net
  • Linux / Mac Under Applications/Utilities open 'Terminal' > type ping google.com and/or ping testmy.net

Paste those results here.

To run a traceroute...

• Windows Start > Run > type CMD [enter] > from the command prompt type tracert google.com and/or tracert testmy.net
  • Linux / Mac Under Applications/Utilities open 'Terminal' > type traceroute google.com and/or traceroute testmy.net

Paste those results here.

I'm on a 20/2 line using eset

sQ8HLiM.png

Dv5JlzZ.png

Tracing route to testmy.net [75.126.77.87]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *       29 ms    27 ms  74-140-32-1.dhcp.insightbb.com [74.140.32.1]
  3    12 ms    34 ms    22 ms  74-139-3-57.dhcp.insightbb.com [74.139.3.57]
  4    29 ms    17 ms    19 ms  65.29.31.50
  5    24 ms    26 ms    26 ms  be24.clmkohpe01r.midwest.rr.com [65.189.140.162]
  6    37 ms    34 ms    38 ms  ae-9-0.cr0.chi30.tbone.rr.com [107.14.19.16]
  7    34 ms    34 ms    33 ms  [107.14.17.147]
  8    34 ms    33 ms    34 ms  tex-x.bbr01.eq01.chi01.networklayer.com [66.10911.106]
  9    56 ms    55 ms    55 ms  ae20.bbr01.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com [173.192.18.136]
 10    58 ms    56 ms    67 ms  ae6.dar02.sr01.dal05.networklayer.com [50.97.18.193]
 11    57 ms   113 ms    57 ms  po2.fcr04.sr03.dal05.networklayer.com [173.192.118.151]
 12    55 ms    55 ms    55 ms  75.126.77.87-static.reverse.softlayer.com [75.126.77.87]

Trace complete.

ok, i give up!

what is the TiP?

TiP or Test in Progress measurements are taken during the test and give you an unparalleled level of test result detail. Your connection is usually better if there is little variation between readings but sometimes little variation can clue you in to issues like a bottleneck. This information is logged to the database with all download speed test results over 1.5 MB.

This can be found after a test is performed, on the results page. Very cool testmy.net granular test results.

• Solution

You TiP shows a dead zone more or less, might not be the proper terminology , most the way through the testing period. Actually degrading through the test.

At some point, it would appear that packet filtering or inspection is in heavy use. Once the same data is transmit repeatedly, it gets the attention of this at this point 'anomaly' , and something begins to inspect more close. I'm only speculating here.

If you run several tests different times of the day and different days, take notice if this is a constant.

now that i've looked at that thing a few times, and see what differences there is a different browsers, i can understand where you're coming from, even if you aren't using proper terminology! ;)

i have a few computers here to work on that don't any anti virus' installed at all, let alone bitdefender. after i get done cleaning them up, i'll try some tests on them and see what that TiP looks like.

thank you for the assistance.

i consider this topic closed. :)