setting a auto-test count higher than 25

TBath652

is it possible to queue 100 tests?

the box allows selections up to 100 times, and i intended to test every 15 minutes for 24hrs, which is roughly 100 tests. yet when it begins testing the bar at the top says test # 1 of 25.

am I missing something here? does it just continue regardless of it saying 25?

Hi Lads,

Would it be possible to allow longer testing at finer intervals?

Even if I had to apply for this and it was subject to end after say a week or two?

Ideally, I would like to test every 5mins for 1 whole week (168hours) and be able to produce the graph to my ISP at the end.

Limit to maybe 1-4mb download and 1mb upload.

What do you say? 

The problem with my ISP is that during the hours of 10am to 3pm it is fine, from 3pm to 2am it's very bad.... so the graph would show this clearly.

Kind Regards

Rev.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lads,

Not received any response from my posts above... not sure why but anyway.

Here's an output graph of my own script.  This is now running 24/7/365 every 15minutes on a NAS on my network here.

http://i.imgur.com/VXTjJ6e.jpg

I would love to hear from a developer of this website... as I'm sure that you must have thoughts on this??? please let me know.

Regards,

Rev

Hi all,

I've since written a simple cgi script to just download and time a file from a nearby host every minute.  It also tests ping, and logs it all to a datalog.  It's crude, but it will at least let me know the times and frequency of the speed issues.

Care to share that script?

it's just a simple #!/bin/ash script, so nothing to write home about.

It gets the ping time to local server, and times downloading a file using wget.

It's only accurate to the second, so it has its drawbacks.

here's a summary:

#Get Pingtime 

PINGTIME="$(ping -c $PINGCOUNT $PINGHOST | awk -F/ '/^round/ { print $4 }')"
#Start Timer
EPOCH_START=$(date +%s)
#Get File
wget $FILEURL -O wget.tmp --timeout=$WGET_TIMEOUT
#Stop Timer
EPOCH_FINISH=$(date +%s)
#Calculate download time (seconds)
DOWNLOAD_TIME=$(($EPOCH_FINISH-$EPOCH_START))

The rest of the script is just messing about with variables and appending to a logfile...
As you can see from the data it produces http://i.imgur.com/VXTjJ6e.jpg it proves the point clearly that there's an issue with my local exchange during "peak times" i.e. 4pm to 2am 7 days a week.

Rev.

it's just a simple #!/bin/ash script, so nothing to write home about.

It gets the ping time to local server, and times downloading a file using wget.

It's only accurate to the second, so it has its drawbacks.

here's a summary: ...

Thanks, Rev.  I'm on Win7 with Cygwin, so I can likely obtain a wget package.  But I also have perl, so I can probably do something with LWP::Simple as well.

Would be interested to see what you come up with. Stay in touch, I do like Perl myself, and would like to use it to make a server side speed test ... similar to this website, but use it to record some extra data such as location & ISP exchange type/ location so we can start narrowing down quality of broadband vs area rather than just ISP.

Rev:  Take a look at this Perl script (on my googledrive).  'Tis a bit of a hack (but not totally so :cool: ).

[ MD5: 6102068d324fe590ebefc9c94c574b4e

SHA1: 057407be6f153f8b04e9c1d231eb28e97eba41f0 ]

Note that it is a unix text file (with <LF> line separators, not <CR><LF>)...not suitable for DOS.

It runs fine under Cygwin, and should be okay for Linux.  It may require downloading libwww-perl from CPAN or Cywgin.

I can be reached at my-username-on-this-forum @gmail.com

jmn