Conflicting test results.

Eonofaeon

So I'm planning to start streaming soon. I decided to have a test stream today. My friend reported slight skipping. Upon stopping and reviewing the recorded video, I didn't see anything but the quality did seem a tad low I thought for a 5 mbps up speed. 

So I tested my speed. 31 down/4.8 up mbps on speedtest.
Then I tested testmy. 22 down mbps/500 kbps up.
Wait what?

So I called TWC, they said nothing looked to be bad and did not mention any ISP side issues....so they tested n restarted my modem and had me test my speed...on speedtest.net. Now it reported 34 down/5.5 up. So I retested upload on here. 399 KBPS....WAIT WHAT?!

No one in family is using anything internet intensive. No one's playing games, no one's watching netflix, no one's doing anything that would drain 90% of our upload and 33% of our download...

So what gives? Any advice/info/suggestions would be much appreciated. Is there a chance my results on testmy are wrong...?

I think he's talking more about his upload speed EB

So I'm planning to start streaming soon. I decided to have a test stream today. My friend reported slight skipping. Upon stopping and reviewing the recorded video, I didn't see anything but the quality did seem a tad low I thought for a 5 mbps up speed. 

So I tested my speed. 31 down/4.8 up mbps on speedtest.
Then I tested testmy. 22 down mbps/500 kbps up.
Wait what?

So I called TWC, they said nothing looked to be bad and did not mention any ISP side issues....so they tested n restarted my modem and had me test my speed...on speedtest.net. Now it reported 34 down/5.5 up. So I retested upload on here. 399 KBPS....WAIT WHAT?!

No one in family is using anything internet intensive. No one's playing games, no one's watching netflix, no one's doing anything that would drain 90% of our upload and 33% of our download...

So what gives? Any advice/info/suggestions would be much appreciated. Is there a chance my results on testmy are wrong...?

Welcome Eonofaeon,

I would trust TestMy.net's upload results over all others, I'm biased but Twitch users are a growing segment of the population here because they rely on TMN's results.  

I see a growing number of referrals from twitch channels so I pop in to see what they're saying. ... they swear by TestMy.net results for tuning their connections for streaming. Daily streamers with thousands upon thousands of followers who obviously know streaming saying that this is the way to test it. Tune your stream below the TestMy.net result and you maximize your potential quality without skips and jitters. There are exceptions, like if you have a connection that's dropping out... but that's what I read and hear twitch users saying.

... you know that you have a problem, so I think it's obvious which results to trust.  If you had a nice clean 5 Mbps then your stream wouldn't be having issues.  You may be bursting 5 Mbps here and there but there may be pauses or drops that cause your true overall speed to drastically drop.  Now that you have an idea that you may have an issue go upload a video to youtube, I see that you're on Windows, while you upload watch your bandwidth with a program like FreeMeter (please let me know of better free bandwidth monitors for Windows, been a while since I've used Windows) ... (watch the bandwidth on your monitoring software during the TMN upload test too.)  ...I will bet you that your speed when you upload to youtube is in line with the TestMy.net results.

Other tests try to give you the best case scenario, TestMy.net doesn't sugarcoat the data or manipulate the process.  I start time, initiated an upload, stop time.  I leave it up to your computer and Internet connection to perform their best between start and stop.  If something holds up the process... the results suffer.

As for your download, try the speed test mirrors and multithread speed test.  Both can provide deeper insight into your issues.

... I've used the download test to adjust stream quality too.  For instance, a couple of months ago I was on a connection with limited bandwidth but I wanted to watch some TV shows I had on my computer at home.  The stream was playing all slow, kept pausing and pissing me off so I ran a quick speed test.  Saw that I had only 1.5 Mbps down, so I went into the settings on StreamToMe and set it to like 1.2 Mbps or something a little lower than the available bandwidth... played perfect, looked nice too.  Another example, I'm driving on a 12 hour road trip.  Watching a video on my iPhone that's on my computer at home, it starts to have issues so I run a test.  160 Kbps down... ouch.  I just turned the video quality to the lowest and turned audio quality to 128 Kbps and finished my movie with only audio and blocky shadows.  But at least it didn't skip or pause.  :-P