Newbie with a question

Cheech

I've used testing sites before (Not recently) but found this site becuase I washaving a speed problem.  Nicely done.  No need now for any others.  Kudos to the developers.

Now to my question.

I was running the standard spped test and got some pretty poor results (< 9mb download speed on a 50MB service which I reported to my provider (Cox).    After reporting the problem and getting a tech assigned to come out the next day I did some more playing on this site.

I tried the Multi site test and much to my surprise my speed jumped up to 45mb.  Turning the Multi feature of fnad my speed returned to <9mb.  The results were not what I expected so I tried the test several times with  the  same basic results,the multi being significantly faster than the non-multi.

Can some shed some light as to why this is happening?

Thanks,

Cheech

Hey Cheech

Depending on what browser you generally use, you should be able to change settings locally on how many threads at once to download. 

Which one do you normally use ?

I neglected to mention in my original post that I used both Firefox and Chrome and got similar results with both.  I also tried this on 2 PCs (win/XP & Win7)using the aforementioned browsers and again the results were similar.

My question was more about having a faster speed (both download and upload) when testing using multiple sites r(sometimes up to 3) rather than just a single site, which is not what I would have expected.

From my understanding of the multithreaded tests, you pull from several servers, therefore several routes and many influences per route. 

That said, ISP peering , network congestion, hard drive speed / health, are just a few of many differentials that come into play when transmitting data. Add several routes such as would be experienced many times even while opening almost any webpage and you have a gauge. 

Say {webpage1} has articles, a few images , and several ads from several different publishers. Add a video from a CDN plus some plugins , ajax or uncompressed .JS or CSS and as were all well aware, items on the page load after, sometimes well after the basic elements are loaded. Your seeing the same result as taking the multithreaded test. Only this time , it's a direct assessment of your connection stability and connectivity. 

Remember that local networks can also have congestion , netbios, NTP, misconfigured adapters, unshielded cat5/6 cables running next to a device leaking ambient current or frequencies, that infiltrate the signal flow, or current flow, corrupting packets ect..

This is a serious test that is meant to determine the base analytics of the connectivity as normal browsing goes, many times unseen and undetected by another form of testing. Here you are hitting the main test server and out from there, spidering to the specified test servers, set up specifically to load the system and draw out issues that could cause a disruption in proper service. 

As far as the higher speeds during a multi test, this would be a question for the developer. Interesting for sure. 

Here are two more interesting anomalies (see attached screenshots)..

As measured by TMN my upload speed is almost double my download speed (SS1).  And with a speedtest using a Cox test (Phoenix to New Orleans) Cox measurements are almost triple (DL)  and double (UL) what TMN measures (SS2).  In the Cox test the download speed is faster which is what I would expect. 

I have more anomallies but I'll hold with these 2 for now.

SpeedTest1.pdf

SpeedTest2.pdf

You should understand the major differences that can result between ookla flash tests , and testmy.net. 

I cannot get into the details simply due that I do not have a core understanding (as to the specific on code differences) outside of flash program Vs. an actual data package at TMN. I have to ask myself, when do I really download / upload anything in real time with flash, with that, why would i somehow assume testing throughput with a flash program would detect much outside of it's own faults.

Which is precisely how I found testmy.net to begin with. My line had issues, new construction new drop, had enough issues where I ended knowing all local techs, up to management. Long story short one tech say's hey do your testing at testmy.net. Which at that point testmy.net proved to him and myself there was an issue. 

Ended up a bad card in the local node, they replaced this, and began to find more issues, they had leaky cables all along the main line down the road. (which irritates FAA communications and is highly frowned upon) .   After replacing the drop several times, and modems upgrading boot files , external port replacement, on and on, it was testmy.nets way of testing that was able to draw out the issues for not only myself, but the ISP as well.

So my question to you is what issues are you seeing when downloading uploading any files or streaming video ect..  What result represents the reason for you testing ? If of course you were seeing any issues to begin with.