Got me a new monitor....

ninjageek

My old PC monitor died, and thought why not try a t.v. for a monitor?? Sure wish I would of done this long ago. Games look great, No issues there, and with having a small place, I found it to be a nice space saver. 

I hooked it up through HDMI, and my T.V. connection has HDMI, so a simple push of a button I can go from PC to T.V. with ease. 

I had seen that games were a issue with using a T.V. as a monitor, I simply don't find that to be a problem. And reading a ebook on this 32 inch, WOW!!! I can burn through a book. 

Large small-resolution displays are great for things like that. But for gaming you want a high-density display. Something that has more dots-per-inch so that you can get finer, higher resolution images.

It's why I love viewing my websites on my phone. (And why when I develop I use my phone a lot.) Although the saturation of the colours on my phone is fairly high, it's still a very pretty device.

I'm hoping to pickup two more 1080p monitors, for development mostly, but it would be sick for gaming.

Thanks,

EBrown

While just being a casual gamer, I have seen others say the same thing. Games don't look as good. With this T.V. I simply don't find that to be true. Not sure why. 

Could be that the looks of the game are simply not that big of deal?? Guild Wars 2 looks great, Outlast is fine. Even Tried Bat Man, Just stunning.  Could be as simple as a matter of perception. With me, things look great on this T.V. With others, they may prefer a monitor. 

I will say this T.V. it has a connection for a Computer, maybe thats why. No idea. I just think imho, that the space it saves, how big it is, and it turns my puter into a truly entertainment center, I can over look small details. 

I had seen that games were a issue with using a T.V. as a monitor, I simply don't find that to be a problem. And reading a ebook on this 32 inch, WOW!!! I can burn through a book. 

What resolution are you running?  How far away are you sitting?  What kind of TV is it?

I want a 32" too... but I'd like 4k in my next monitor.  I'm waiting for 4k IPS displays to drop to under $1000.  You can get TN 4k displays for around $700 but I need color accuracy and TN displays aren't accurate... they're kinda weak all around actually.  Read, dude, don't get a dell 4k monitor.  With 8k here I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before 4k is MUCH cheaper... Who knows, 8k could replace 4k before it even gets a real chance to take off.  8k is only noticeable on HUGE displays and is a potential waste of bandwidth so 4k could still become the new standard.  All I know is that after being spoiled with retina and super high pixel density displays it's hard to go back.  I use my 2011 27" iMac with 102 ppi and I see is pixels now.  Didn't bother me before, now it occasionally bugs me.  You probably have your 32" sitting further back than my monitor though.

To be honest, I'm really waiting for a better display that directly interfaces with your visual cortex... the display would be in your mind and would be only limited by your imagination and the power of your brain.  I promise you, it will happen.

Interesting calculator for pixel density and viewing distance. http://isthisretina.com

"What is a Retina display?

Retina is Apple's trademark for a display so sharp that the human eye is unable to distinguish between pixels at a typical viewing distance. As Steve Jobs said: "It turns out there’s a magic number right around 300 pixels per inch, that when you hold something around to 10 to 12 inches away from your eyes, is the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels." Given a large enough viewing distance, all displays eventually become "retina."

For a 32" 1080p TV, while the pixel density is only about 69 ppi, at 50" away, the display is about as good as most humans can resolve at that distance. With a 4K 32" 16:9 TV, you get the same effective resolution at 1/2 the distance or 25", which is about how far my iMac is away from me at my desk. So going to 8k resolution for a computer monitor might be overkill. Color accuracy and speed of the monitor become the more important factors at that point

My iMac is a 21.5" model

1920x1080 21.5" iMac becomes Retina at 34".

CA3LE. Move your 27" iMac so that it's 32" away from you and you probably won't see the pixels....it's 2560x1440.

Interesting calculator for pixel density and viewing distance. http://isthisretina.com

"What is a Retina display?

Retina is Apple's trademark for a display so sharp that the human eye is unable to distinguish between pixels at a typical viewing distance. As Steve Jobs said: "It turns out there’s a magic number right around 300 pixels per inch, that when you hold something around to 10 to 12 inches away from your eyes, is the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels." Given a large enough viewing distance, all displays eventually become "retina."

For a 32" 1080p TV, while the pixel density is only about 69 ppi, at 50" away, the display is about as good as most humans can resolve at that distance. With a 4K 32" 16:9 TV, you get the same effective resolution at 1/2 the distance or 25", which is about how far my iMac is away from me at my desk. So going to 8k resolution for a computer monitor might be overkill. Color accuracy and speed of the monitor become the more important factors at that point

My iMac is a 21.5" model

1920x1080 21.5" iMac becomes Retina at 34".

CA3LE. Move your 27" iMac so that it's 32" away from you and you probably won't see the pixels....it's 2560x1440.

Very cool tool, I was looking for something like that yesterday... I quickly got side tracked and forgot what I was originally looking for. lol.  That tool works great though and answered an unrelated question I had yesterday.

I measured and casually I sit about 17" away.  Even if my 27" was 4096x2160 (4k) I would have to be 20" away before it was retina.  Yeah, I can move my screen back... but I'm comfortable at 17" (that's what she said).

This is what I want...

post-2-0-80935400-1395761354_thumb.png

Overkill.  My favorite.

I would rather chain several displays together for that.

Benefits:

You have more control over resolutions.

If one display fails it's cheaper/easier to replace.

If one display fails you aren't out of a computer for the moment.

Disadvantages:

Can be more expensive initially.

Lower resolution per monitor.

DPI may be lower.

Again, it's all up to the end-user, but I don't need retina really. I'd rather have the large space to work with.

Also, that's not what she said. At least not to you. Remove that 7 and you might be a bit more accurate. :wink:

Thanks,

EBrown

And with 256:135, anything you view that's 16:9 will have unused screen areas. Something to think about.

And what are you doing with your nose 17" from a 27 in monitor. That's how far away my iPad is. LOL

That is a pretty cool tool though

I like to get inside the computer...  I just sat how I normally sit, measured it and it was only 17"... 32" back and I wouldn't feel right.  I'd feel like my computer was across the room.  I'm nearsighted though so to each his own.

I'm about 2 ft from my 21.5" iMac. It's pretty bright and clear, but not Retina

I don't worry about retina. I need to be able to make out very fine details on it. Although, I would rather have 2-3 2560x1600 monitors as opposed to four small to medium-large monitors. But those one's are really expensive.

Thanks,

EBrown

The T.V. I have is a sanyo. I dont know, I sit about 2 or 3 foot from it. I paid 250 dollars that includes tax for mine. Nice thing about ol wall mart, You can try it, if always take it back. I know guild wars runs about 50 fps. No lag, not sutter. Both bat mans, not sure about the fps, but ran smooth looked amazing.

IMHO, games are like a big screen T.V. The big screen T.V. at first, well its just HUGE, then after you get used to it, you really don't notice it. Games are kinda the same way, at first, oh look at all the pretty cool stuff, then you spend your time running, jumping and trying to keep your cartoon alive you really don't have time to stop and look at the pretty stuff. If that makes sense. 

LOL, My T.V. runs 1360 by 768.

For the price, and So far the gaming experience, Super Impressed. Just played a bit of Nitro stunt racing. OMG, that was fun.

If gaming or whatever becomes a issue, I will replace it. I just find I am starting to game less and less, Reading more and more. 

Edited by ninjageek