UNINSTALL ADVICE REQUIRED

I RECENTLY INSTALLED AVIRA FREE ANTIVIRUS ON MY WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1 LAPTOP. I MUST HAVE (BUT DO NOT REMEMBER HAVING) SET A PASSWORD TO PREVENT UNAUTHORISED ACCESS TO THE PROGRAMME.

MY PROBLEM IS THAT I WANT TO UNINSTALL THE PROGRAMME, BUT AM PREVENTED FROM DOING SO BY THE NEED TO ENTER THE PASSWORD. I HAVE TRIED EVERY PASSWORD I USE TO NO AVAIL.

I USED "WISE PROGRAM UNINSTALLER" TO REMOVE AVIRA, BUT WHILE IT WAS REMOVED FROM THE PROGRAMME LIST IN WINDOWS, THE PROGRAMME WAS STILL RUNNING ON THE LAPTOP.

I TRIED REVO UNINSTALLER, BUT THE FREE VERSION DOES NOT OFFER FORCED UNINSTALL.

CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME OF A THIRD PARTY FREE PROGRAMME THAT WILL COMPLETELY REMOVE AVIRA FROM MY LAPTOP?

YOUR ADVICE IS APPRECIATED.

not sure if this helps, but i know the official site tells you a back way to remove the password protection completely without knowing the password.

If the assigned password has been forgotten but it is required for a product renewal or an update installation, please proceed as follows:

Start the computer in Safe mode
  • Restart your computer and press several times the F8 key while booting
  • In the following menu, select "Safe mode"
  • Confirm the selection by pressing the Enter key
  • After the second confirmation the operating system will restart

Safe mode

Windows 8: Watch KB-article

Windows XP: Watch Video play-icon.png

Edit file

Search for the file AVWIN.INI in the following folder:

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\CONFIG

Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8
C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\CONFIG

• Click with the right mouse button on the AVWIN.INI file and open it with the Notepad
  • Edit the file under the item [COMMON] as follows:

Password=
    SecurityExtension=0x00000000
  • Save the file
  • Restart your PC
  • The password protection for Avira has now been removed

Note
As an alternative, the file can also be deleted. However, after a reboot, the Avira configuration will be reset to factory defaults.

Click Here to go to the actual page i found this on.

edit//  after some research it has been noted on quite a few reputable sites that after you uninstall Avira you should run the Avira Registry Cleaner program. Its from their support page HERE. it basically removes all reg keys from the program.

in the link you might have to click the Utilities tab to find the reg cleaner. just download the correct version for your OS and such.

Edited by RyanS